Home

What do you think......Revan: a girl or a boy

Lord Revan63

Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?

My bad, I'm sorry for the mistake, but if I could spell I would not be working with numbers all day. Thanks Topsite.

Hey, if you can't spell, how can you be sure you're putting the numbers in the right spaces? :xp::D

@Stoffe--do you actually know anyone with that name? Not a challenge, but just curious. Didn't know if that was a name more common in Europe than America (where I've come across some rather odd/different/creative names). Also, sometimes wonder where the devs come up with names for the various characters they create.

Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the "unisex" aspect of Revan was no doubt a commercial consideration, no doubt given the increasing number of females that have gotten into gaming. Frankly, the debate has gotten kinda silly. Think of the gaming and publishing worlds as being parallel universes, where what's X in one, can be Y in the other. No big deal. Besides, what's to stop a girl from superimposing her imagination onto the landscape of the EU when a book is published. She can still decide to read "she" for "he" if that's what makes her happy, right gals?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be even better if they make Revan to be Bisexual... then that would account for almost everyone, except that droid lover. Plus, the lovely image of Revan and Bastila kissing, PRICELESS.

Though I am not sure if Carth would swing that way though...

mimartin, you spelt Revan wrong and spelt it as Raven.

Everytime I see that mispelt, that Teen Titans song slams thru my head. Well, the idea of Carth being Beastboy makes me cringe.

Fine, can you name 5 woman whose name is Revan? (and prove their existence?)

Can you name 5 men who are named Revan? Personally, I never knew Revan was a real name apart from the SW character.

Besides, whether someone knows anyone named Revan doesn't necessarily prove anything. I don't know 5 women named Constance, but we all know that they exist.

As mimartin said, if LA or BioWare had intended for Revan to be male only, why did they give us the option to play as female?

You are right, but the earlier KOTOR comics mentioning several KOTOR characters were released much earlier, so I assumed that they contained references to Revan as well.

The KotOR comic timeline may be set before the games, but they were all written well after the game was released. KotOR came out on July 15, 2003 on Xbox and November 19, 2003 on PC. No KotOR comic issue came out before January 25, 2006.

Hey.

Lord Revan 63

Next time can you put either instead of neither please

Sorry I will next time. But chainz did it, I think, when I put it up... this is my first thread.

I did? Damn my old bones.. hehehe. "Neither" works fine for this particular poll since their is a "both" option. -Cz

Edit:

Ok 1, the bisexual thing... uhhhh weird and awkward in soooooooooooooo many ways. And 2, why does everyone have a fit on Revan being spelled Raven? Just deal with it crybabies. And uhhh, off subject but can anyone please go and comment on my other poll? (Male Revan and Bastila's Daughter.) Just look it'll be there.

Calling people 'crybabies' or any other names is flaming on this forum. Please don't flame. Please also avoid IM speak--it's very difficult for our members who speak English as a second language to understand. --Jae

and 2 y does every1 have a fit on revan being spelled raven....just deal with it crybabys.......

Um, maybe because his name is Revan, not Raven.

and uhhh off subject but can any1 plz go and comment my other poll..(Male Revan and Bastila's Daughter)....just look itll b there

People will post there if they want to. don't push them.

ok 1 the bisexual thing...uhhhh weird and awkward in soooooooooooooo many ways.......

I've read a couple fan-fics of a homosexual Revan. The sad thing is that when people tend to write about such things... it gets bashed by a bunch of homophobes.

It would be unique mostly because there hasn't been a single love-interest, Star Wars story... involving homosexuals. Although, that's just so LA can avoid tabloids and an uproar from potential customers... and other contraversial things.

But... It'd be even more of a shocker for the revelation scene.

*takes a sip from glass*... *spits water out upon seeing Revan remove the mask*

"I'm Revan?!?"

"Wait a sec..." "........"

"REVAN'S GAY!?!?!?!"

*Water shoots out of nose*

Now that... would even rival Vader and Luke. :lol:

My preference goes toward male Revan, more precisely LSM Revan.

Kotor seem to be built on a “classic” or “epic” template, a bit like Star Wars itself which was based, in part, on the ideas from the book The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

If you look at the possible archetypes, you can get something like the following with a light sided male Revan:

• Bastila (Anima)
  • Carth (Light Alter-ego)
  • Mission (The Child / Innocent Young Girl)
  • Jolee (Wise Old man)
  • Canderous (Dark Alter-Ego)
  • Zaalbar, T3 (Helpful Animals)
  • Malak (The Monster.)

HK-47 and Juhani are optional.

Thus, Carth and Mission’s high LS score makes sense, as does Canderous DS score. Even Jolee’s grayness is not just senility.

The above way of interpreting the game also works nicely when interpreting the confrontation on the Temple and what happens if the player chooses DS. Revan is set up as a tragic hero (doomed to a violent end). Bastila is no longer the Anima, but the Dark Temptress. The victims of the tragic hero are mainly The Wise Old Man (Jolee), The Innocent Young Girl (Mission) and the Light Alter-Ego (Carth). In other words, it is no surprise that these characters must die in the DS ending. Carth is doomed, even if the game falters and lets him run away, so Obsidian’s decision of letting him be dead if Revan is set to DS is correct.

The archetypes doesn’t really work with a female Revan; female Revan fails because Bastila tends to get sidetracked and that is not good when Bastila is the main NPC: You start the game having to rescue her; when Malak gives orders about whom to look for or capture in cut scenes it is her, not the rest of the crew he mentions; she is the one to fall under shadow when captured by Malak, she must be confronted twice. Instead focus is shifted to an unimportant character–Carth, and this leaves the story a mess from the Leviathan onward.

Bioware tried to make it gender neutral, but it simply doesn’t work if the protagonist is not male and light sided. The story would have to be restructured to work for other gender/alignment combos, and we are talking significant changes here.

Considering the above, Lucasarts didn’t have much of a choice, either.

Kotor2 is completely different, and here for any combo of gender and alignment can work. Kotor2 is actually the most gender neutral of the two games, IMO.

There were some things earlier in the thread which made me wonder:

The female Revan had one conversation with Bastila locked to her. A male Revan is technically unable to get several options in the Juhani dialogue, and over 2/3 of Carth’s dialogue,

It seems to me that in order to claim that a female Revan misses only one dialog with Bastila, while a male Revan misses 2/3 with Carth, you have to disregard the flirting lines in the first and count them in in the second. Not a valid way to compare anything. Likewise the claim that a male Revan misses out on 2/3 of Carth’s dialog is nonsense. It is more like 1/3.

the largest dlg file in the game (800K to Bastila’s 600K) is locked.

How do you get those numbers? If I look at the dlg files themselves, then k_hcar_dialog is 489 kb, k_hbas_dialog is 422 kb. Juhani’s (k_hjuh_dialog) is the largest at 570 kb. The Xbox dlg files are slightly smaller than their pc counterparts.

Malak wants the Jedi. Saul’s going to end up dead if he does lasting harm to the Jedi Malak wants.

Malak gave the order to destroy Taris in order to kill Bastila. Calo Nord and Darth Bandon are merely told to bring her back alive, if possible.

Malak will be quite happy with a dead Bastila.

Kotor seem to be built on a “classic” or “epic” template, a bit like Star Wars itself which was based, in part, on the ideas from the book The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

If you look at the possible archetypes, you can get something like the following with a light sided male Revan:

Bastila (Anima)

Carth (Light Alter-ego)

Mission (The Child / Innocent Young Girl)

Jolee (Wise Old man)

Canderous (Dark Alter-Ego)

Zaalbar, T3 (Helpful Animals)

Malak (The Monster.)

HK-47 and Juhani are optional.

Thus, Carth and Mission’s high LS score makes sense, as does Canderous DS score. Even Jolee’s grayness is not just senility.

The above way of interpreting the game also works nicely when interpreting the confrontation on the Temple and what happens if the player chooses DS. Revan is set up as a tragic hero (doomed to a violent end). Bastila is no longer the Anima, but the Dark Temptress. The victims of the tragic hero are mainly The Wise Old Man (Jolee), The Innocent Young Girl (Mission) and the Light Alter-Ego (Carth). In other words, it is no surprise that these characters must die in the DS ending. Carth is doomed, even if the game falters and lets him run away, so Obsidian’s decision of letting him be dead if Revan is set to DS is correct.

The archetypes doesn’t really work with a female Revan; female Revan fails because Bastila tends to get sidetracked and that is not good when Bastila is the main NPC: You start the game having to rescue her; when Malak gives orders about whom to look for or capture in cut scenes it is her, not the rest of the crew he mentions; she is the one to fall under shadow when captured by Malak, she must be confronted twice. Instead focus is shifted to an unimportant character–Carth, and this leaves the story a mess from the Leviathan onward.

Literary interpretations are something i find distasteful... there is too much analysis in them and it makes a "game" more of a life-connecting parallel universe than just a game. You have many good points... but I believe it to be blown out of proportion.

Malak gave the order to destroy Taris in order to kill Bastila. Calo Nord and Darth Bandon are merely told to bring her back alive, if possible.

Malak will be quite happy with a dead Bastila.

Well... the fact that Saul has Bastila in his clutches already... does put a damper on your logic. I doubt Malak would want Bastila brutally tortured right before his arrival.

Well when I played through it Revan turned out to be female, blond, and fell to the darkside. Then Revan was bald and fell to the dark side...

So... anyone knows if there are any shapeshifting, hermaphroditic, roughly humanoid species in the Star Wars universe? Evidence suggests that our answer to what Revan really is lies there. :)

So... anyone knows if there are any shapeshifting, hermaphroditic, roughly humanoid species in the Star Wars universe? Evidence suggests that our answer to what Revan really is lies there. :)

Just searched Wookieepedia, and found no hermaphroditic changeling species, but for all we know, Revan could be a Shi'ido.

I didn't use Clawdite (AKA Zam Wesell), because they can't shapeshift as well as Shi'ido can. Shi'ido can look like virtually anybody, because they can apparently generate required flesh and such. They can also shapeshift into the opposite gender, something I don't think Clawdites can do.

Maybe Mr. Lucas and/or LucasArts need to take certain alien species into consideration.

Seriously, what's more mysterious, telling us it's a human male under the mask and hood, or wondering what form Revan (No matter the gender) is currently taking beneath the mask?

• 10 months later...

OMG!

revan is a Male in my book though i cant argue that people think Revan is Female as well...even the other day i heard someone thought Revan was an Alien!

hahahahahaha kinda dumb but cool at the same time but who thinks revans a alien unless you count Revan as a "Changer"

Archived