Home

What do you think......Revan: a girl or a boy

Lord Revan63

Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is Revan supposed to be a MALE or a FEMALE?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the poll results speaks for itself ;)

~Xander

Really?

A side from murphs point about the sample being biased....

The below is an extract from Henrik Ibsen's play - Enemy of the people;

Dr. Stockmann: Never, Mr. Aslaksen! It is the majority in our community that denies me my freedom and seeks to prevent my speaking the truth.

Hovstad: The majority always has right on its side.

Billing: And truth too, by God!

Dr. Stockmann: The majority never has right on its side. Never, I say! That is one of these social lies against which an independent, intelligent men must wage war. Who is it that constitute the majority of the population in a country? Is it the¨clever folk, or the stupid? I don’t imagine you will dispute the fact that at present the stupid people are in an absolutely overwhelming majority all the world over. But, good Lord!–you can never pretend that it is right that the stupid folk should govern the clever ones I (Uproar and cries.) Oh, yes–you can shout me down, I know! But you cannot answer me. The majority has might on its side–unfortunately; but right it has not. I am in the right–I and a few other scattered individuals. The minority is always in the right.

Ftr: my Revan is a DS Male' date=' though repeated hammering by Alronix and J7 have made me think that the cannon gender was a terrible choice.[/quote']

I philosophise with a hammer :smash:;)

Canon gender choice is an insult to RPG gamers everywhere, and it is if so stupid it beggars belief - it defeats the very notion of an RPG to give a character a canon gender.

It is especially stupid in the case of Revan, as you can in image just have Revan wearing his/her iconic robes - and you could turn the gender into myth anyway; Revan was more than a man or woman; and indeed Revan's sex has been lost to the sands of time.

You could do a similar thing to the Exile - though you couldn't use an iconic image to represent him/her.

My Revan is and will remain a LSF; my Exile is and will remain a LSM.

Canon gender choice is an insult to RPG gamers everywhere, and it is if so stupid it beggars belief - it defeats the very notion of an RPG to give a character a canon gender.

It is especially stupid in the case of Revan, as you can in image just have Revan wearing his/her iconic robes - and you could turn the gender into myth anyway; Revan was more than a man or woman; and indeed Revan's sex has been lost to the sands of time.

Bravo! Your statement is brilliant. Also, I believe that it is the unknown behind the mask that increases Revan's menace. Ignorance (of Revan's gender or species even) is more unnerving. It also makes for a better story. :D

How does Star Wars having a definitive outcome of the events in it "insult" gamers? If it happened, it ought to be specified.

Because it's a game first, part of SW history second. That, and does it matter wether Revan is a boy or girl when it comes to writing stories? Sure, it would be hard for writers to give her a history without knowing the gender, but is that a bad thing? The wonderfull thing about KotOR 1 and 2 is that it's loved by a lot of non-SW fans (like me). And we don't like being told "And the saintly Revan, left off to save the world from badies", after finishing the game as Ms lord of the universe.

J7: you only convinced me it was a she, my she is pretty much like myself when it comes to personality:D

How does Star Wars having a definitive outcome of the events in it "insult" gamers? If it happened, it ought to be specified.

This about encompasses it;

Because it's a game first' date=' part of SW history second. That, and does it matter wether Revan is a boy or girl when it comes to writing stories? Sure, it would be hard for writers to give her a history without knowing the gender, but is that a bad thing? The wonderfull thing about KotOR 1 and 2 is that it's loved by a lot of non-SW fans (like me). And we don't like being told "And the saintly Revan, left off to save the world from badies", after finishing the game as Ms lord of the universe.[/quote']

I concur, its a role-playing game - you assume the role - that is generally made moot if Lucas then tells you what *really* happened, so why bother playing the game at all?

J7: you only convinced me it was a she' date=' my she is pretty much like myself when it comes to personality:D[/quote']

Hehe, I hadn't realised I had persuaded you over to the female side of the force :xp: I like Revan the female way :) Though my Exile is still male.

Bravo! Your statement is brilliant. Also, I believe that it is the unknown behind the mask that increases Revan's menace. Ignorance (of Revan's gender or species even) is more unnerving. It also makes for a better story. :D

Indeed :) This probably applies more when Revan is a Sith Lord (both when you decide, and before game - than from a if you take Revan the LS path in KotOR.

I concur, its a role-playing game - you assume the role - that is generally made moot if Lucas then tells you what *really* happened, so why bother playing the game at all?[/Quote] :thumbsup: Well said.

Hehe, I hadn't realised I had persuaded you over to the female side of the force :xp:[/Quote] I'm not sure, but using Jedi Mind Tricks on other members is probably some type of rules violation.:xp:
I like Revan the female way :)[/Quote] Agreed

Though my Exile is still male.[/Quote]While you are correct about Revan, you are wrong about the Exile. The Exile is a female, because canon says so. :xp:

I'm not sure, but using Jedi Mind Tricks on other members is probably some type of rules violation.:xp:

It only works on the weak minded though - murph isn't in that Category :)

While you are correct about Revan, you are wrong about the Exile. The Exile is a female, because canon says so. :xp:

:xp:

Sorry, Lucas doesn't care that you don't like it that he's established a definitive canon so he's not stonewalled by whiny gamers complaining when LucasArts comes out with something else set in the KotoR Era.

Why do we bother discussing Star Wars, or most things in general? If it really doesn't matter why bother posting at all.

Seriously, who cares? It's a matter of breasts.

Us? :xp:

Canon is God ok nothing can change it. Revan will be considered male in every other piece of star wars related material if said material is considered canon and not fanon

You really don't want to make silly posts like this - especially considering it seems patently obvious you haven't read the rest of the topic.

For the record GL can change canon... And I frankly don't give a monkeys what canon says Revan or the Exile is - its stupid to have an RPG having a 'real universe sex'.

Why do we bother discussing Star Wars, or most things in general? If it really doesn't matter why bother posting at all.

Classic internet argument "trump card": Say that it all doesn't matter and that your opponent shouldn't post his/her opinion on it at all, but the user of this card is excused from the rule.

its stupid to have an RPG having a 'real universe sex'.

You're trying to put together two completely different things. Canon and "the Spirit of the RPG gamers" (or whatever) are totally independent of each other.

Classic internet argument "trump card": Say that it all doesn't matter and that your opponent shouldn't post his/her opinion on it at all, but the user of this card is excused from the rule.

I apologise if I'm wrong - But the fact that you quote me and say this makes me highly doubt you understood at all the gist of my post. (Hint - I was arguing for us having this argument; it was a sarcastic rhetorical question on my part).

You're trying to put together two completely different things. Canon and "the Spirit of the RPG gamers" (or whatever) are totally independent of each other.

What is the point in playing a game, that is all about choices, when those choices don;'t matter at all because later LA will tell you what happened anyway?

What is the point in playing a game, that is all about choices, when those choices don;'t matter at all because later LA will tell you what happened anyway?

But that's the official version of the story. No where does Lucasarts say 'if you don't follow the official story, then f*** off'.

There's nothing stopping the players from choosing to believe in their own version of the story. I'm surprised this is even an issue, to be honest.

Its been years...

You people are still debating this?

Anybody who knows anything about the expanded universe knows that genders were only given to Revan and Exile because they were being placed into books, comics, and so on. They needed a universal for commercial reasons.

The only reason they have genders is that putting "it" as a description in a Star Wars book doesn't make any sense.

Now all of you stop your whining and let this damn topic die. The gender is in their air and up to the player no matter how much you want to nerd rage about it.

Now all of you stop your whining and let this damn topic die. The gender is in their air and up to the player no matter how much you want to nerd rage about it.

I'll nerd rage all I want :xp:

And you'd be wrong.

Wow, that was a truly wonderful and inspiring posts. If the topic isn't worthy of attention or debate, pray tell, why post in it?

Archived