Home

Force Powers & Alignment: EU/KotOR II & SW Movies

The Source

If you play the game "Knights of the Old Republic II", you will notice that 'Force Choke' is a 'Darkside - Sith' trait. When Luke confronts Jabba's guards (Gerilean Guards - sp?) in "Return of the Jedi", he also uses 'Force Choke'. What are your thoughts?

If you play the game "Knights of the Old Republic II", you will notice that 'Force Choke' is a 'Darkside - Sith' trait. When Luke confronts Jabba's guards (Gerilean Guards - sp?) in "Return of the Jedi", he also uses 'Force Choke'. What are your thoughts?

In the movies there don't seem to be any specific spell-like "Force Powers", there just seems to be telekinesis, mind-trickery and lightning. Choke/Grip would just be another application of telekinesis (others being pushing, pulling, levitating, jumping etc).

As such Choke/Grip wouldn't be a naughty power like the Lightning is, it's just your standard issue telekinesis used in an offensive manner. Thus it would be a matter of not the tool being evil, but rather the purpose it is used for that is good or evil.

In the movies there don't seem to be any specific spell-like "Force Powers", there just seems to be telekinesis, mind-trickery and lightning. Choke/Grip would just be another application of telekinesis (others being pushing, pulling, levitating, jumping etc).

As such Choke/Grip wouldn't be a naughty power like the Lightning is, it's just your standard issue telekinesis used in an offensive manner. Thus it would be a matter of not the tool being evil, but rather the purpose it is used for that is good or evil.

Thanks for the reminder. The "Original Trilogy" has allways been my reference to Star Wars cannon. One could only wonder why the Expanded Universe writters chose to create definitive concepts.

One could only wonder why the Expanded Universe writers chose to create definitive concepts.

Probably for the same reason they've added things like alchemy, cortosis, Sith magic, artifacts, lightsaber crystals etc. The EU seems quite intent on converting Star Wars into a more conventional Fantasy setting. :)

Note that they weren't even called the geeky 'Force Powers' back then. :p They were just abilities and manipulations conducted using the Force.

But if you must cross KotOR II with Star Wars, all I can say is that a lot of Luke's Force Points got deducted for that - unless if he had a good Charisma score, which I'm not sure if he had. :)

lolz this thread must have been done like a dozen times before...

Luke used that power in a defensive way, since the guards meant to attack him, it's just as offensive as using Force Push to push them against a wall IMO.

This is one of those "undead" thread topics in a Star Wars forum.

My faults? we are all bored of this topic to a certain degree, but still manage to contribute into it again and again with the similar answer I give.

Simply put, Luke is using it with a non-darkside intension, and channel it in such a way that he is flowing WITH the flow of the force and NOT BENDING the force to his own will. So it is not DS per se. Granted, to have such a effect may deduct quite a bit of force points, in gamer terms.

Time for Game Terms D20/kotor Style!

As far as Luke's CHA score it is quite open to debate, depending on how you see it. I don't think he has it THAT high, he still reeks of farmboy at the time of that act... but who knows? On th other hand the score must be quite reasonable for him to be able to get teh chix0rz(esp Mara) And while he is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up into the Epic now The increase cannot bt THAT big even if he pours all his Attribute increase into CHA, as it would probably work better if he MAx WIS instead(useful in many force related situations, plus AC/Defence Bonus). Well, but seeing how Han pimps it up he might decide to do some catching up.

Now, you know this is totally geek talk when you try thinking of ways to min/max Luke in D20 style.

I'd say force power alignment relies more on intent, and the actual power drawn on to perform an action. Force Choke could be some force power that crushes an opponents throat with rage, or simply application of the same force you would use to short circuit a droid (either obi, or qui gon was supposed to be skilled at that) small precise telekinesis.

The main limit (with some exceptions) to what you could do when drawing power from one side of the force would be your imagination and the ability to improvise and apply it in creative ways.

You can use dark side force powers even if you are in the dark side but you must be good controling you`re emotions and everything like that ...... Mace Windu uses dark side powers but always controling his emotions.

Archived