Home

DX10 for KotOR 3?

Negative Sun

Do you think K3 will have DX10 graphics etc?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think K3 will have DX10 graphics etc?

• Yep
    • Nope

I wasn't quite sure where to put this poll, so a mod can feel free to relocate it if must be...

I think K3 will be DX10, especially now that we've waited so long already for news of it, if it's getting made I think it deserves a next gen engine and all that, maybe make use of Euphoria and DMM and such.

Discuss...

Well, for a RPG game like the KotOR series, engines like Euphoria and Digital Molecular Matter don't seem necessary since extreme interaction with the environment doesn't generally happen. Although I do agree that it definitely needs a next-gen look to it. Anything less will just be ridiculous in this day and age, with everything coming into the next-gen.

I think KotOR 3 would be great with DirectX 10 but I don't want to upgrade to Windows Vista until I'm ready. As long as DX 10 KotOR 3 doesn't come out until after I've upgraded to Vista then I'll be fine. If not then that would put me in a bit of a pickle, wouldn't it? :D

Of course at the rate KotOR 3 appears to be going the next version of Windows may well be in public release before KotOR 3 ever makes it to store shelves. :cry6:

Maybe I slightly misunderstood the question you posted, what I meant to say was I don't actually want to see KotOR III running with Direct X 10 as DirectX 10 is Vista only, and there is no way I'm getting vista, (in two words "ERROR CENTRAL"), what I meant was I'd like to see KotOR III running on a newer version of Direct X that runs on windows and is equal in graphical display.

I can't agree, I'd be just as happy if it was made with the exact same engine and look as the previous two KotOR games (With minor modifications and enhancements to the graphical aspects). Especially since that would make the modification of the game all the easier to add in the little touches that are usually fun to add in. :)

I just can't jump on bored the "It's gotta look better!!!! Pretty!!!!" band wagon. The previosu two games looked just fine. I don't need my games to look better or more realistic.

EDIT: I definitly don't want it to be a games for windows game. I don't want it to be a DX10 game. I don't ever Ever EVER want to have to even think of touching Vista. I want it to have nothing to do with the live service. I want nothing remotely connected to any of that MESS.

Anything that's a vista exclusive I steer away from like a plague.

Yeah the question is: Do you think it will happen? Not: Do you want it to happen?

There's nothing wrong with Vista IMO, most of the people who have actually used it don't really find anything wrong with it, in fact they praise it!

DX9 has been around for aaages now, and it runs both K1 and K2, so I think it's time to move forward, the gaming industry isn't exactly known for standing still, we have to move on to better things, even if that means using DX10...

There's nothing wrong with Vista IMO, most of the people who have actually used it don't really find anything wrong with it, in fact they praise it!

That's not what I heard.

As for DX 10... Sure, if it'll work on Windows XP. I'm not touching Vista, no matter how pretty it looks, until I really really have to.

That's not what I heard.

I don't want to go into too much depth here, but who have you spoken to about it? People who know what they're talking about or a bunch of noobs who decided to buy a new system with Vista preloaded not knowing that they got done for cause their system is too sucky to run Vista? And they want to run stuff on it that isn't compatible with Vista yet because the right drivers aren't out yet for it (which is the manufacturer/developer's faul, not Vista or MS)

Mostly people who know what they're talking about and I've also read some reviews. None of them were favorable. Then again, looking back similar stuff has been said for XP, so I guess that after a few service packs Vista will be a lot better.

That's an overstatement, I've talked to many people who have used Vista asking if it is worth getting and every single person who I asked had switched back to windows, they said don't bother there is so many bugs and it runs practically like ****.

I don't want to go into too much depth here, but who have you spoken to about it? People who know what they're talking about or a bunch of noobs who decided to buy a new system with Vista preloaded not knowing that they got done for cause their system is too sucky to run Vista? And they want to run stuff on it that isn't compatible with Vista yet because the right drivers aren't out yet for it (which is the manufacturer/developer's faul, not Vista or MS)

Actually my dad is in the computer industry, not only that he travels around the world fixing high grade machines running all sorts of operating systems, Windows, Linux and Vista, and he has told me personally not to go anywhere near Vista, it's more trouble than it's worth, so when it comes to computers and their operating systems I'm hardly ever wrong, as most of my info on them comes from my dad, and he has no reason to lie about it, what's the point.

If a new game comes out and DOESN'T support DX10 they are living in the past...the future is DX10...Vista is fine, i run it and being an Software Engineer, i can say i know my way around a computer, the main issue with Vista include the fact that its a new system and nubs need to learn it before they complain. Sure it has its bugs, which need to be fix. Have i been frustrated with it? hell yea, but same goes for XP at times. People are afraid of the unknown..and right now the Unknown=Vista.

Back on topic....havent you ever looked at game trailers of new shiny DX10 games and wondered...wow wouldn't Coruscant be killer with these graphics, wouldn't the lakes of Naboo or the plains of Dantooine look jawdropping and make you forget your actually at your computer and instead at those places...thats what the "pretty graphics are for...to make you totally engulfed in the landscape and universe you are playing in.

If a new game comes out and DOESN'T support DX10 they are living in the past...the future is DX10...Vista is fine, i run it and being an Software Engineer, i can say i know my way around a computer, the main issue with Vista include the fact that its a new system and nubs need to learn it before they complain. Sure it has its bugs, which need to be fix. Have i been frustrated with it? hell yea, but same goes for XP at times. People are afraid of the unknown..and right now the Unknown=Vista.

Back on topic....havent you ever looked at game trailers of new shiny DX10 games and wondered...wow wouldn't Coruscant be killer with these graphics, wouldn't the lakes of Naboo or the plains of Dantooine look jawdropping and make you forget your actually at your computer and instead at those places...thats what the "pretty graphics are for...to make you totally engulfed in the landscape and universe you are playing in.

But aren't you forgetting about all the people who don't use Vista for the obvious reason I have stated, by the time KotOR is released they will probably be running on a newer version of DirectX anyway, that will run on windows, because there is absolutely no way I'm going anywhere near Vista, it will be like stepping into hell.

That's an overstatement, I've talked to many people who have used Vista asking if it is worth getting and every single person who I asked had switched back to windows, they said don't bother there is so many bugs and it runs practically like ****.

Who are these people? Are they all extremely knowledgeable about computers? Because if that was the case I think they would've thought twice about switching to Vista and done their research first maybe?

Actually my dad is in the computer industry, not only that he travels around the world fixing high grade machines running all sorts of operating systems, Windows, Linux and Vista, and he has told me personally not to go anywhere near Vista, it's more trouble than it's worth, so when it comes to computers and their operating systems I'm hardly ever wrong, as most of my info on them comes from my dad, and he has no reason to lie about it, what's the point.

That's your dad's opinion, I'm sure I can find someone who can list you dozens and dozens of benefits Vista has over XP (they might even be closer than you think ;))

Saying "You're hardly ever wrong" strikes me as an overstatement as it isn't you who is knowledgeable about it, but your dad, furthermore it is just his opinion as I have illustrated above, so it is hardly infallible...I'd rather stick with facts instead of rumors, opinions or gossip if you don't mind ;)

I would suggest you check out this thread as we are getting a bit off topic here, point is, unless you can tell first hand of your experience with Vista or DX10, you can't have a personal opinion about it and you most certainly can't portray it as being ****

I suggest we leave it here, before a mod decides to clean up this mess and gets cranky with us, if you want to discuss it further, check the thread I posted above or PM me ;)

Back on topic:

It would be cool to see the kind of next gen interaction as I've seen in the previews of Mass Effect, the ability to interrupt someone when they're speaking in particular would give great depth to a KotOR game IMO.

Who are these people? Are they all extremely knowledgeable about computers? Because if that was the case I think they would've thought twice about switching to Vista and done their research first maybe?

That's your dad's opinion, I'm sure I can find someone who can list you dozens and dozens of benefits Vista has over XP (they might even be closer than you think ;))

Saying "You're hardly ever wrong" strikes me as an overstatement as it isn't you who is knowledgeable about it, but your dad, furthermore it is just his opinion as I have illustrated above, so it is hardly infallible...I'd rather stick with facts instead of rumors, opinions or gossip if you don't mind ;)

I would suggest you check out this thread as we are getting a bit off topic here, point is, unless you can tell first hand of your experience with Vista or DX10, you can't have a personal opinion about it and you most certainly can't portray it as being ****

I suggest we leave it here, before a mod decides to clean up this mess and gets cranky with us, if you want to discuss it further, check the thread I posted above or PM me ;)

Back on topic:

It would be cool to see the kind of next gen interaction as I've seen in the previews of Mass Effect, the ability to interrupt someone when they're speaking in particular would give great depth to a KotOR game IMO.

As you say your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but I would like to point out that I am sticking to fact not rumour or gossip, as I said my dad is family he has experienced Vista first hand and has told me about it, I would hardly call that 'rumour' or 'gossip'.

Depends on when the game is released. If it's within roughly a year's time to a year and a half or so I doubt it would be a DX10-only game. To do so would be to limit their customer base of potential buyers too much, which is already fairly narrow within the RPG genre. Most non-hardcore gamers won't have Win Vista and a DX10-enabled graphics card within this time frame.

The impression I get when browsing game and help forums is that a fair number of KOTOR player don't have anywhere near a gamer computer. Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently. :)

Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently. :)
If I ran Microsoft, I'd consider offering monetary incentives towards game companies to make DX10 games. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this. A quick Google search proved that...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/12/vistagames/index.php

Microsoft is also working closely with game developers to train them in DirectX 10, though it is stopping short of offering financial incentives to move to the new platform....
The article closes with this (dated Feb 12, 2007)
“DirectX 10 is a different way of programming. It’s harder,” Nvidia’s Vivoli said. “I think it will take 12 to 18 months before we start to see all of the gaming titles coming out on DirectX 10.”

The impression I get when browsing game and help forums is that a fair number of KOTOR player don't have anywhere near a gamer computer. Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently. :)

Especially for a kind of game that don't require that at all. But by the time, I think it'll have DX10 options, all right.

No. I'd rather upgrade to Vista of my own free will, rather than be forced encouraged :¬: to upgrade to it by having a game Microsoft knows I and many other fans would love impossible to play without purchasing their other products. Such marketing practices are extremely selfish, uncaring of the customer and I want no part in supporting a company that chooses to practice them and wants to exploit me for more money at every turn. (This same rant can also be applied to the idea of making KotOR III console-exclusive, but that's another topic.)

I'd still prefer the old engine with some upgrades in any event, as the community has already learned how to mod it and that would feel more in line with the other two games if it did. As it would also save money and time that would be funneled into giving everything an ambient glow, it could be given towards the storyline department or at least result in an earlier release date.

Archived