Home

DX10 for KotOR 3?

Negative Sun

Do you think K3 will have DX10 graphics etc?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think K3 will have DX10 graphics etc?

• Yep
    • Nope

Im a happy vista user and quite excited about DX10, but I dont think it would be integral to KOTOR 3. Sure, you could have it DX10 optimised, but still play happily on XP rather than be a DX10/Vista only title(like alan wake for example)

I dont think LucasArts would be that silly ;) Gamers with high end kit generally *arent* RPGers. Ive definitely never seen a NWN PvP in all teh Lans Ive been too :D

Thus, there should be an option, "DX 10 optimised, but XP compatible" in your poll....

mtfbwya

It is what do you think they are doing with crysis you dont expect them to just make it dx 10 and lose 98% of the gamer community? (in a poll only 1. something of gamers had a dx 10 capable card, of course this could have changed in a half a year but still not alot of people have dx 10 cards)

I agree that, KOTOR must be an RPG in the sense that the first 2 were, however, I don't get the logic that better graphics or an animation overhaul would equal to it not being an RPG. obviously if the Dev turned round and said it's either animation or game play, then it's game play all the way, but, things have come on a bit since 2004.

I don't see why any aspect of the game has to be sacrificed.

and I think LA understands that.

I don't think LA understand anything, because they haven't made K3 yet! :)

Sure, I don't mind DX10. Come to think of it, there are hardly any DX10 games announced right now and KotOR doesn't look anywhere nearby. If we be a bit realistic, we learn that it can be announced next or the next-to-next year (at least). Therefore, by then, DX10 games would become the norm (atleast in announcements), and so we have a DX10KOTOR ready.

I don't get the logic that better graphics or an animation overhaul would equal to it not being an RPG.

Eh..I was just saying that graphics or animation overhauls aren't needed in RPGs as much as they are in other games. I would perfer they spend more time on storyline and diversity.

I don't think LA understand anything, because they haven't made K3 yet! :)

I agree ^.^

Sure, I don't mind DX10. Come to think of it, there are hardly any DX10 games announced right now and KotOR doesn't look anywhere nearby. If we be a bit realistic, we learn that it can be announced next or the next-to-next year (at least). Therefore, by then, DX10 games would become the norm (atleast in announcements), and so we have a DX10KOTOR ready.

Good point there...

Well... sure, i'd liek better graphics, but my computer is old, and although it can handle Kotor II at highest graphics possible sinc eit is 200% overqulaified for running it, a new game with graphics meant for a new computer would kinda mess it up. Besides- people who can't afford a new computer or get an xbox 360 probably won't buy this game if that's what it requires. if you implement better grapghics into this game- i want an option that uses the old graphics, and an auto-detect thing for when you first strat the game, that will figure out if you can run the gma ewith the new next-gen graphics or not. if not, it will run the older grapghics, but you can change that setting if you want.

I have computer with a Nvidia GEforce 6200 card in it, and it overall has a little over 1 Gig of Video Ram. My computer is actually almost 6 years old, it will be once it's 2008 , as it an old Windwos XP on an Emachines computer system, and it has had upgrades that make it about 6 times better than it normally would be.

So please make this game able to run well for those of us who use old Computers and Xbox's. That's all i suggest. any programmers readign this- I seriously suggest you consider this, as you should know doing this will result in mroe sales and more profit.

They cna make it for Xbox 720 too if they want- but ther eis the fact that the 720 hasn't even been started to be made yet...

If they make this gam eavialble for use an multiple different gaming systems, they'll get a huge profit off of the game, as making it usable by almost everyone will give them at least 150% more sales than the last two Kotor games.

It probably will have. I just hope that Obsidian won't make Razor 1911 more work [if you don't know, they made some Need DX10/Vista games (Shadowrun and Halo2) to work under DX9/WinXP].

If they do, I will have only Fallout 3 to play in. Hmmm... That isn't so bad, when I think more about it.

• 2 weeks later...

K3 Doesn't need to be a next-gen (i.e. HD) game IMO. I think this because a lot of people will not be able to play it because Vista ain't exactly cheap (well for me it isn't anyway) and if they are like me they won't want to upgrade for one game (albeit a very tempting game). HD graphics are all well and good but i'd rather the game had amazing gameplay above amazing graphics. In short, i think the developers of K3 would better benefite over the current system specs of which TSL and K1 were able to run off; HD is here yes but IMO it would be a mistake for the PC field of the gaming industry to move towards this format too quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Depends on when the game is released. If it's within roughly a year's time to a year and a half or so I doubt it would be a DX10-only game. To do so would be to limit their customer base of potential buyers too much, which is already fairly narrow within the RPG genre. Most non-hardcore gamers won't have Win Vista and a DX10-enabled graphics card within this time frame.

The impression I get when browsing game and help forums is that a fair number of KOTOR player don't have anywhere near a gamer computer. Sometimes it can be more economically sound not to just aim for the topmost layer of hardcore power gamers as a customer segment by making games that squeeze every last drop of power out of a high-end computer system to run decently. :)

If you look in my profile, you'll see that I've seen windows come, and I'll probably see it go, too. I agree with you that most KotOR players I personally know are nowhere near vista. A vista only game might indeed be a commercial failure. A point I'd like to add is that a general overhaul of the existing engine takes less time and money and comes with far less bugs than a brand new engine for a new, far more complex system. I fear a new engine for a prospective K3 would lead to even more cut content than K2 already has. Oh yes and bugs. Did I mention bugs? I have, haven't I?

--edited for typo

A point I'd like to add is that a general overhaul of the existing engine takes less time and money and comes with far less bugs than a brand new engine for a new, far more complex system.
QFT.

A good point MJ-W4, why waste money creating something risky and new when they already have a solid build to base off? A good example is with The Witcher in which CD Projekt have effectively chosen what can be considered an outdated game engine (the Aurora Engine) but have heavily moddified the engine to create a visually stunning experience that is on par, if not better to the likes of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Plus, the Aurora Engine has also proved to be a solid engine when creating games with the uber-awsemness of NWN, NWN II (although this sequel was developed with a modified version of Aurora [and less popular and platform friendly] by Obsidian called the "Electron Engine") and all their fantastic expansions.

:) I remember months and months of fun with the original Baldur's Gate when its graphics were outdated. A good, none-too-linear story will do that trick.
Don't forget Chrono Trigger now will you, that game still rocks!!! :D
Is it really that impossible to have both a really good story and decent graphics.
Well apart from examples such as "Mass Effect" and "The Witcher", yes. IMHO i believe that the games with top notch graphics focus on gamplay reather than a great in depth story. For example i love the Halo games and i thought the single player campaign would have been breathtaking in H3, but i was wrong, it sucked big time.

Is it really that impossible to have both a really good story and decent graphics.

I didn't buy a 360 and HDTV to play games with 4 year old graphics.

I share Gargoyle_King's view in this matter: for all the games I have seen, the ones that really got you and kept you interested were always second in graphics. The point is, with time and money being short, shorter today than they were some years ago, attention to detail can either be given to blood-n-guts-everywhere-lights-flash-kaboom graphics and 'realistic' looks (hang on, we're in a faraway galaxy, and it was a long time ago), or you can turn all your skills into producing a compelling, in-depth story with characters that are more than furniture.

I placed it in the Yeah it will be DX10, but whether I want it as such I'd say no. Until M$ releases the first service pack, I wouldn't touch Vista.

Currently I'm running a pure Linux setup. No dual boot. Beating my head against the desk forcing a game to run on Linux when I know darn good and well it won't.... Then succeeding in getting it to run(and well mind you).

And for those of you talking about how great the DX10 graphics are, and how dated the DX9 graphics are, Um.... Half Life 2? They haven't really pushed the DX9 engine to its limitations as of yet. So why go to a new DX10. Heck they haven't even pushed OPEN GL to its extent yet.

Archived