Home

Overclocking GFX Cards..

I think we all know how it is.

You order a good computer, which unfortunately isnt made specifically for gaming, so you get a crappy graphics card.

And of course, I play Oblivion, one of the games that happens to require a high end pc to run smoothly.

Well I recieved an onboard Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE with this one.

Unfortunately, this card DEFINENTLY was not built for gaming.

With Oblivion on Medium graphic settings (with some adjustments: all shadows off, shadow filtering and blood decals off, and distant lands off, and grass view distance at 0) I still only get around 8-15 FPS in the wilderness.

I have updated drivers, hell, I even have some mods that are supposed to improve performance (Oblivion Poly-Be-Gone and Streamline 3) so with no where else to turn, (besides buying a new gfx card.. but I don't really like spending money xD) I've decided to try overclocking.

I really don't trust this thing much though. I'm sure the cooler is nothing special, so overclocking too much could result in a very short life time.

I would like some suggestions on overclocking with this thing before I actually do it. I'm not "ubercomputersmart" so I really wasnt sure what was too much. (I was thinking 40-100 MHZ. But I have no clue whether thats very little or just way too much)

I also noticed that whenever I accepted the license agreement for overclocking, the 3D Clock Frquency was already set to 425 MHz.

Any suggestions?

Increase the clock frequency a little bit, start a game and check if it looks/runs okay. Do that until said game ****s up or your computer crashes then do the same thing with the memory frequency. If you don't trust the temp to not rise, clock it a bit lower.

Just remember to increase the core and memory clocks a very small amount each time.

Increase the clock frequency a little bit, start a game and check if it looks/runs okay. Do that until said game ****s up or your computer crashes then do the same thing with the memory frequency. If you don't trust the temp to not rise, clock it a bit lower.

Just remember to increase the core and memory clocks a very small amount each time.

Sorry to say it ! Theres only so much you can do with a 6150 :( Oblivion isnt used to stress test gfx cards for nothing !!

If I was in that position, I'd get some cash together... and get an 8600 or thereabouts.... that'll keep you covered. Even if your still a HS student you can still get out there and do small jobs and get some $$!! [/old man advice]

Plus, as jmac indicates OCing isnt worth it if it messes up the rest of your pc too...if youve gotten a pre-config - I highly doubt it will have components that are geared to safe and happy OCing :D

It is really not worth frying your CPU or mainboard etc to try boost up a lowe end GPU like a 6150. Dont forget, OCing will also void your warranty... so please keep that in mind too.

I think OCing is cool, but you should only play at it if you have a decent knowledge and all the appropriate kit.... some non stock thermals are also handy.

you can get an EVGA 8600GT from newegg for $99 after rebate. Thats 256MB, DDr3, HDCP ready, DX 10 ready....pretty darn good ! Save a little more, and you can get a 512mb version :D

sucks being a gamer when it comes to $$$ !!! I just forked out (AUS)$500 odd for my EVGA 8800 640 MB GTS

mtfbwya

Archived