Home

The Learning Curve

Rockitman

I just installed and started this game. yeah, I've missed the boat for what, 10 years now?

Did read through some of the suggestions to make it run on XP and setting compatibility mode of the exe file seems to do the trick so far.

No hangups, lost audio, etc.

My gripe for this game right now is how a naive beginning Fandango player is supposed to move along in this game without getting stuck right from the get go.

How am I supposed to know that I need to use the holepunch on the secretary's desk on my deck of cards? HOW WOULD ANYBODY THINK TO ACCOMPLISH THIS?????? The only reason I know it needs to be done is that I've just read the beginning of the Walkthrough. But I don't want to use the danged Walkthrough, takes the fun away, BUT, it appears in this game that it is going to be vital to complete this game.

I got the work order, but it needs to be signed by the boss. The boss says through the intercom, Not today.

How am I supposed to know that I have to go outside the building, climb in through his window, etc. etc.???????

I just don't see how a regular player is supposed to get through a game like this without ALOT of help.

I'm already pissed to the point that I think I've wasted my money on this game.

Oh well, sorry for the rant. But I don't have eternity to be stuck in one scene or another. Just makes you want to punch a hole through the monitor.

I HATE frustrating games like this.

right...i have also stumbled across the holepunch one, and i admit it doesnt appear logical , however i sense that you have given up on the game before you even started it. I think the rope up to the bosses office was really logical as he snook away, and how are you supposed to know he snook away? well, SEARCH THE INVIRONMENT. Go exploring, use all your functions buttons on everydamned thing.

You are not supposed to know what you are going to do. what you are supposed to, is to find out how to do it. Try every single angle, dont give up just because you dont think one thing doesnt work.

at final there is pages who gives you hints of what to do next.You ARE supposed to get stuck alot and pull out alot of hair, but it makes it so much more fun when you accomplish complex pussles.

But boy, if you are mad at the start of the game, dont play the rest.

Even though I solved most of GF with a walkhrough (I was an ignorant teenager), I think it's one of the most logical adventure games out there. I can come up with only a few irritating puzzles, such as opening the safe in the third year.

You have to explore the locations very carefully, have Manny observe everything and pay attention to what the characters say and do. The hole punch is only illogical if you fail to see that the worker demon uses a metal card with holes on it on the post machine. That should make you think, "Hey, I need one of those too!", go through your inventory, realise you have a deck of cards, and then start pondering how to make holes on one card.

This observation and memorization is taken to the extreme when you're in the last year and have to remember what a character said in the first year! :D

Dude, that's the point - your supposed to "figure it out". It's an adventure game, it's not going to tell you what to do.

I really, really wouldn't suggest using a walk through - you'll regret it afterwards. If you get stuck just try everything with everything - that's what i did. Even if a combination seems ridiculous - try it! Plus you get some great one liners from doing that.

Yes, GF is a tough Adventure game (probably the hardest I've played) but don't give up! The story and characters are so brilliant - you'll be missing out big time if you let the game beat you!

Welcome to a LucasArt's game!

But seriously, play a King's Quest game before you complain. I actually like King's Quest games, but if you want to see hard puzzles mixed with dying every 2 seconds, playing one should be an interesting experience for you.

I have to agree that Grim Fandango is actually quite logical behind all its madness.. Everytime I solved a puzzle it was like "ahaa.. of course thats how you do it because ...". Not many adventure games can say the same (at least not from my experience).

I had to use the walkthrough to open the safe though, and as you say Scorpius.. you really DO regret it afterwards.

Archived