Home

Future of gaming?

spark91

Before anyone does, let me say:

It's gonna be t3h pwn4ge for teh pr0n omglolz

I love the concept and it does sound all cool and all, though I fear that you will need one hell of a flexible mind - not very good when you're drunk and drowsy.

Edit

Holy hell, that's the Source engine! You can tell from the Havok physics and the Half-Life 2 crosshair. Man, bashing combine with that is going to be awesome. Gary's Mod with this even more awesome! Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is a wet dream! Ohmygodimorgasmingbaby!

I wonder how long it takes getting used to before you can control things with your thoughts. Same length of time it takes a baby to learn to walk? Speak? Write its name? And their brains are sponges, always learning, and trying to learn. How much harder would it be for an adult brain? How about the elderly trying to use a wheelchair with this technology? That's a little too optimistic at this time IMO. :)

Maybe I'm thinking in analog too much -- I suppose digital controls reduce the number of thought patterns you have to learn. If you only have to learn left-right-forward-back, it might not be too bad.

Perhaps over time, equipment will be available that detect more subtle brain patterns that are more intuitive to us, like imagining reaching out an arm to grab something, or visualizing something moving in a certain direction.

This is still very cool and I love that the $/unit is $15.

Edit: I'd love to see the schematics and specifications for that bad boy. :devsmoke:

It's gonna be t3h pwn4ge for teh pr0n omglolz

Darn you Sabre :fist: you beat me to it! :lol:

@tk102

"I'm surprised tk, that interjection sounded very Jedi-like" [/bastila] :xp:

But I'd tend to agree.. would be hellah fun giving it a try though.

Nice to see they're attempting to keep it affordable... but could you imagine how many algorithms it would take to set up a system of commands for something as tame as KotOR? much less the games out nowadays that require a third arm just for the proper key/button combo :eek:

I wouldn't be looking for any state of the art games anytime soon, but man the possibilities are mind-blowing if this takes off :D

I've seen Cowboy Bebop, the Brain Scratch session.

That was one hell of an episode - my second favourite(first being Pierrot Le Fou (sp?) ).

I don't think the device will actually do anything to your head, so we won't be seeing any "SCRATCH" organizations anytime soon. :p

If they implement this into video games, it's gonna change everything. They won't be able to make pre-rendered animations of any kind anymore for the player character, and all character movement will be up to the player. This might be very cool, but it could take some getting used to. If it does work though, the best place that would work is in a lightsaber game. You could essentially make your own style of lightsaber combat using your own "animations." That makes me tingle with excitement at the possibilities :xp:

It has been known for centuries the brain is a like transmitter of electrical energy. These signatures can be trained and mapped to modulate electrical output. In most of us, this training is conditional - ie. happening in day to day life. This is why we can associate like things with emotional responses. Phobias are a perfect example of this. This was also the basis of the (stll used) but somewhat contriversial treatment commonly called "shock therapy"

Other than using games to "move stuff using the force" I see this technology being fantastic in:

*counselling, behav mod therapy. Visual cues are a very important part of our lives and intrinsic to the electrochemical processes that cause the electrical changes in the brain

*diagnosis and mapping of brain function. Great for those with neurlogical conditions, like stroke, epilepsy(like me) or those who have an ABI(acquired brain injury)

*Treatment for those with neurological consitions, as well as those with limited motor skills. It could also greatly enhance access to devices, information for disabled persons. eg. para/quad, hemiplegic impaired individuals.

definitely very interesting, but more to it than ''using the force in a game'' thats for sure...

mtfbwya

Heh heh, you'll be more than tingling when they get it hooked up to your pain receptors so feel what Force Lightning is really like. :xp:

:lightning Umm, ouch! Heh, that'll be a revolution - Video games that give you a seizure :xp:

But what about those... Ahem!... 'Adult' titles! Lotta cash to be made there! :p

That's slightly disturbing :xp: But it is an indestructible cash cow indeed.

I wonder what else they are going to do with this stuff besides just games, cell phones, and what not. I wonder if we'll be seeing it in things like cars or in jets or even in softwares on the computer like painting and modeling programs.

I do like that idea that one of these days though I will be able to use my mind to shock the crap out of an AI though... that'll be fun!:evil1:

Is anyone else terrified of this? I'm split two ways on this. I think that it's awesome, but the capabilities this shows makes me scared.

Imagine if they spread this into the consumer world, and someone finds out that metal is a conduct for electricity and that locks are made of metal. So they find some way to hook it up to locks, and with a flick of their brain, can easily get into your house.

Something just doesn't smell right with this product. I'll be hesitant to buy this.

@JK707, are you concerned about merging with machines? Don't read this thread!

The situation you propose is not something to be concerned about. This device is simply able to sample brainwave patterns and toggle I/O gates. If you wanted, you could hook the device up to a radio frequency transmitter than would unlock your door, but man that'd be geeky.

Something just doesn't smell right with this product. I'll be hesitant to buy this.

People always say that everytime a new thing comes out. Everything exists in good and bad, JK707. Ultimately, it's the human mind that matters, because all tools are neutrals (just like Force Powers!)

People said that cars will cause accidents, crashes and what-not, but you can't live without cars today. TV would make everyone couch potatoes and hurt the art of reading and writing. It did happen, but there are some things you just have to accept and move on.

People always say that everytime a new thing comes out. Everything exists in good and bad, JK707. Ultimately, it's the human mind that matters, because all tools are neutrals (just like Force Powers!)

People said that cars will cause accidents, crashes and what-not, but you can't live without cars today. TV would make everyone couch potatoes and hurt the art of reading and writing. It did happen, but there are some things you just have to accept and move on.

I know, and I'm sure that when cars were first invented, some people hated them. I'm just one of them.

Well, we know that most sccidents and deaths in this world are caused by... METALS (other than sickness)

So technically if we have never used metal, the world would be a better place? Lets Do The Monkey!!

Anything from computers to ductape, technology itself is neutral, its how people use it that might cause the problem(with a few definite exceptions like concentration camps).

I know, and I'm sure that when cars were first invented, some people hated them. I'm just one of them.

You're right, it's those damn cars. Now that humans and machinery have telepathic links they'll turn on us when we least expect it and slave-drive (<-- oh look I made a bad pun) us to a robotic autocracy with them as our overlords. We must destroy this abominable technology while we still can, before we are driven to such a state!!! o_Q(Oh I made one again!)

Archived