Home

Screenshot thread #2 - Come admire our secsky pictures

Maxstate

Sure thing, razorace !! I've already posted a link to a website VERY helpful to those wanting to create JKA vids...but I'll re-post here just in-case.

**** Quick instructions: ****

First you need to set up binds for demo recording.

I've included a link to the script I use HERE !!.

This binds the keys:

[ HOME ] = Starts Recordings

[ END ] = Stops Recordings

These can be changed to whatever you wish, simply by modifying the script where it says:

bind HOME vstr startswitch
bind END vstr stopswitch

Place this in the ' Base ' folder of your JKA installation.

Once this is done, you can start playing your games as normal.

Once you're done, and have stockpiled some demo recordings, its time to watch the playback.

Normal playback will have the same view you played in...that being the 3pp ( 3rd person perspective )

To change that view requires this script called camera_settings.cfg.

Again, this should be placed in the ' Base ' folder of your JKA installation.

Some have asked how I attained the camera angles shown in the vids. The aforementioned script, which has been modified to my personal tastes, should help.

Normally this script remains inactive so it should not load each time JKA is run.

To activate, requires the cheat mode to be on.

If you dont know how to activate the cheat mode, you first start a solo game taking note of the map you've chosen.

For example, I might choose the map, Taspir Landing, which is shown as:

mp/duel5.bsp

You then call the command console [ Shift + Tidle] keys. There you type the following:

devmapall mp/duel5;disconnect

The game should then restart and hopefully return to the main screen with cheats enabled.

The effect of this is to allow for extended commands used in the camera_settings script. Namely the /cg_thirdperson* variables.

Next step is to pick and playback your chosen demo(s). During playback, call the command console and type the following:

exec camera_settings

In the background you should see that the view has now changed according to the values in the script.

If you're not happy with the view or wish to change them, then this can also be done via the command console. Its also best done while playback of a demo, preferably a long one so you'll have time to fiddle around with the values and see the results.

If you need further help with the actual settings then you can either hit me up for help and I'll post further instructions. Or, check the following link, which has helped me a lot:

Video Editing Tutorial by Commodore & Doug

This site also has resources for further camera viewing angles so have a read if you're interested.

If you change the values, make sure you take note, for they'll have to be manually inputted into the camera_settings.cfg file.

Next step is to export to an *.avi video. To do this, I use an app called FRAPS.

Once captured to file, you then have a choice of leaving it as it is, or editing the video(s) to your preferences. I personally use Ulead VideoStudio 8. A cumbersome app, but not too bad once you know how it works. If you don't have this, then its likely you'd have Windows Movie Maker...assuming XP is the O/S you use. I'm not too sure if a version comes with Vista.

The raw footage will be a fairly large file, so I would recommend that you use one of the mentioned video editors or similar.

Again, if you need any help then post here and I'll try make sure I check more frequently to give a hand. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived