Home

Laptop Help

Reclaimer

Alright, I recently upgraded my laptop from a 512MB to a 1 Gig. I use it for alot of gaming, so it's been configured to run the games I play. Recently though, it's been closing out of games while I'm in the middle of them, and it's not at a certain point, it's random. It'll do it at the start up screen, or at hours into playing. I contacted local computer techs and Geek Squad (Yeah, I know.) But they keep trying to sell me that it's my monitor and that it's not able to hold the pixles. Seeing as it's ran some pretty high graphics demanding games, I know that's not the case, and I really prefer not to spend cash for them to tell me something that'll take five minutes to fix.

Here's what exactly I got.

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/laptop-memory/m/16229436/details/

Any ideas? My cash is short right now. I can only spare about $200 for repairs.

well, it does sound like a display problem. its possible that you're mixing up what they told you because its very possible that the video card installed on your laptop isn't up to spec.

granted, that's more of a shot in the dark since you didn't post your specs, but that is what it sounds like to me.

However, if it was a display adapter issue, the game wouldnt start at all.

Having been a longtime user of laptops for gaming(in the past) I'd like to direct your attention towards temperatures ! Do you have a cooler stand/pad ?? I used to have a Toshiba Satellite that I flogged to death via gaming/heat issues. Even melted the CPU once ... lucky I had an extended warranty !!

mtfbwya

Alright, I took jmac's advice, and it seems I do have a bad stick. So I'm sending it back tomorrow and looking for a new stick to put in.

Thanks for your help guys.

good to hear you figured it out!

touch wood, but Ive never had a bad stick of Ram ever...and Ive used literally 100s in all the builds Ive done over the last 3 years....

Its good that most RAM has a liftetime warranty too ;)

good luck. might be worth double checking you are actually ordering compatible RAM to start with.... sometimes even though you may have the right freq/voltage etc, due to the mainboard/BIOS(applies for laptops too) certain sticks by certain manufacturers may not work.

mtfbwya

Archived