Home

RAM (Random Access Memory)

Venom750

I have recently discovered that my motherboard only takes single sided PC3200 Ram and it was a blow since i just brought two 512mb of double sided anyway my question is...

whats the difference between single sided ram and double sided??

Moved this to our Tech forums :D ~ Cz

I may add that a module of single sided RAM has memory chips only on one side of the module (right OR left, or in Rhett's case "uuh thingies here or thingies there uuh") and a module of double sided RAM has memory chips on both sides of the module (right AND left, or in Rhett's case "uuuuh many thingies all over").

Hence the name single or double sided.

^^

I think i must have write this question wrong ,i know what the difference is looking at it one got one side full of chips the other has two. I mean whats the difference internal does it work faster or is it just like that?

also another question how do you know if it single sided when it doesn't actually say it in the desription do shops use terms to say it without saying it because i see unbuffered floating around alot?

stuff

As Jonesy boy pointed out, while it can be taken literally it is not always the case. :xp: Ram can have chips on both sides of the stick yet still be called single sided because the computer can "see" all the banks at once and doesn't have to switch.

Your ram's probably just single sided ram that has chips on both sides.

I'd give her a shot. That'll tell you if it's working or not. If it really is double (TWO separate banks) sided ram then your PC will register only half the amount of ram you put in and you will know for sure. :)

Archived