Home

Ridley Scott to make "Monopoly" movie

Lightsaberboy

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/08/06/ridley-scott-talks-monopoly-movie/

Although it was once a bizarre rumor, director Ridley Scott has confirmed his plans to work on a movie based off the popular board game, Monopoly. Speaking to The LA Times, Scott says: "Monopoly is still the most popular board game -- I might be misquoting! -- in the world. So it's really finding the universe for that game. Because clearly it ought to be humorous and for the family -- the funny way it brings out, particularly when your uncle suddenly gets Park Lane and -- in England, we have Park Lane, Mayfair and Barclay Square, what's it in America? Park and Madison? So you watch people change. You're witness to Jekyll and Hyde. Somewhere in that is a hysterically amusing and I think rather exciting film." I imagine he's referring to Park Place and Boardwalk -- two of the most expensive and lucrative spots in the American version.

Aside from trying to imagine what a Ridley Scott version of Monopoly would look like (keep in mind this is the guy who brought us Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and the upcoming, sure-to-be-Oscar-nominated American Gangster), I also wonder if there's a way to make this a family-oriented movie. Even the LA Times asks whether the film will focus on "our gilded age of greed," to which Scott replied: "That as well. Isn't that comical?" I have not played one game of Monopoly that hasn't ended in a fight (one came close to ending in a fist fight), so to bring this down to a level that kids and adults can relate to -- well, it could be tough. On whether Scott will look to the big-screen version of the board game Clue as a reference, he admits to not "really" seeing it, but at the same time says: "But I think it was quite clever." Personally, I think it will all come down to the characters. And no, I don't think the game pieces should be characters that talk. A thimble? C'mon. Do you think a Monopoly movie could work?

interesting pair. I wonder if an alien will pop out of Pennybags' chest?

I never really understood Monopoly. All it taught me was that if life wasn't going your way and you got heavily into debt, all you had to do was wave your arms around and make loud crying noises and you could start over again. That doesn't translate well into the real world, just to let you know.

They should get Patrick Stewart for Uncle Pennybags!

Patrick Stewart for Uncle Pennybags!

narrator: in a world of cutthroat buisness men. One man strived to be better than the rest.

Pennybags: "We need to buy it up. Every street there is!"

assistant: "and the water works?"

Pennybags: "that too! "

Narrator: From the man that brought you Alien, Gladiator, and Black Hawk Down, witness the rise...

Pennybags: "I CONTOL BROADWAY, PARK AVENUE, AND EVERY OTHER HOTEL THERE IS!!! AHHAHAHA"

narrator: and fall...

Pennybags: Good thing I have my get out of jail free card!

Police: you already used that last time, sir.

Pennybags: oh no!

narrator: of one of the greatest stories ever known.

assistant: You have the power sir.

Pennybags: I do indeed. I have a monopoly over it all!

Narrator: "Monopoly"

Police: You go to jail. do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

narrator: in theaters next year.

Archived