Home

New X-Wing game??

TwigMortal

Yes, I know we have all been crying out for a new game for a LONG time and that various petitions have been submitted to LucasArts, but there may be a new way to get noticed. Totally Games, the developers behind the series have now got a forum on the site, with an X-Wing series area. In there are two thread already asking for a new game to be produced. Remarkably, they actually check their forum, and here is one reply by one of the original X-Wing series developers:

"Some of the original team is still around, though most of them have moved on to other companies or out of the games industry altogether. However, Larry Holland is still here and that's the important part, since he's the vision behind the series. Of the people that worked on any of the Star Wars games, only Larry, Robin, myself, and Kevin remain.

I'd love to work on another Star Wars space sim if the opportunity presented itself. But that is not for us to decide, unfortunately. The game market for space sims have dried up and with it the money.

Albert Mack

Lead Programmer, Totally Games"

Go sign up at the forum and add your comments about getting a new game started and show them there is a market for a new space sim!

http://www.totallygames.com/phpBB2/index.php

I don't think Lucasarts cares about the PC market anymore when they can produce console games that sell well. The effort that goes into making PC games these days.. and having to make it compatible with so many different systems scares most suits.

If there was ever to be an "X-wing" game that would work it would have to be hand in hand with the clone wars series that will be coming out. It also would have to have multi player and co-op support for a large campaign. XWA was set up for Co-op but TG never really had the time to fully implement it.. and the horrid net code practically killed any real Multiplayer chance

No I highly doubt Lucasarts would ever make another X-wing series game, and even if they did it wouldn't be anything near to something that was decent... they are most concerned about deadlines then about gameplay

Lucasarts didnt develop the game though, Totally Games did, LA just have to approve the license. The comment about a market for space sims is what gets me, the reason people stopped buying them is because they became crap, rather than the feel of XvT etc, they began producing top down view basic space shooters which of course no-one likes. The freespace modding community is still alive and kicking as is another online only space sim I know of. There is a market, we just need to show TG that there is one, particularly if the lead dev himself would like the oppurtunity to do so. If you check the TG forum, the X-Wing series forum is the most active. Granted its a new feature for the Totally Games site, but I still find it itneresting that a ten year old game has so many fans commenting as opposed to those for their newer games.

• 6 months later...

It would be nice to see another X-Wing series installation, with all of the new graphical advances we have made since then, it seems almost criminal not to bring the series back to life. Just thinking of how awesome it would be makes me quiver, and yes i mean that in a very sexual way, X-Wing has that effect on me.

• 8 months later...

I would love to see a new X-Wing game on the PC. It is one of my all time favourite games.

I don't see why it could not be done as with the advances in technology now it would look amazing and could be ported onto consoles if needed.

Someone prod the right person and tell them the fans want it.

If they build it we will buy it. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I played the X-Wing collectors edition, then TIE Fighter, then XvT, then Alliance. I still play XvT a lot, though I really wish I could connect it to the internet and play (The networking portion is apparently too old to work with modern systems, but I have some hope I will find a workaround)

The campaigns are great and all, but leaving out the multiplayer is a huge mistake. Just because some people can't hack the competition doesn't mean there aren't others out there who love the abuse! :) I love honing my skills then challenging other players to a duel. Gets my heart pumping and provides a challenge no AI can match.

Biggest mistake in Alliance was not providing a more XvT feel for the 'simulator' portion, as far as mission selection, awards, etc. XvT was awesome, a true test of starfighter gaming skills, and it was nice to be able to track your performance by mission so you could tell what needed work (or, looking at it another way, where the challenges lay)

I say it's high time to complete this series the right way. For that , we need five things, in addition to the obvious graphics and sound improvements:

1.Campaigns for those who love the story aspect, and lots of them. Include the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter campaigns, XvT and BoP missions, XWA Campaign, as well as two or three new campaigns for Rebels, Imps, and Pirates.

2. An XvT-like interface for practice and multiplayer, and a good, fast multiplayer client. The ability to play Campaign missions in this mode (perhaps after beating them)

3. A REAL mission builder along with a quick skirmish/melee maker, so even when we kick the crap out of the game for a year and start getting bored with the stock missions, we can always just make new missions and pass them out to our friends for even more hours, nay days, of fun.

4. FAST gameplay and killer AI, and of course systems management. I don't mind adding it to a console, but for cripes sake, don't take away the system management! That's a HUGE part of the experience. In fact, we could add a couple of more things to make it even better-- Fuel management (yes, you could run out on a long mission, or get a leak) and single/multiple engine failures that affect flight characteristics. Also, a 'float' mode (kicking off the stabilizers) so we could use more 'realistic' space flight tricks (think Battlestar Galactica). Imagine kicking your stabs off and flipping around to shoot at the cloud of ties behind you...

5. Finally, and perhaps most important, a complete shipset from the Star Wars Universe. With the advent of the prequels, the books, and everything, I think it's high time we got a chance to REALLY fly a Naboo fighter, a Kuat Delta 7 Aethersprite, Yuuzuan Vong ships--there are lots of new toys out there! Going back to campaigns--we could have campaigns for these ships as well, or at least the ability to make campaigns using the editor. XWA gave us the most flyable ships ever, and to me, this was a huge leap forward.

If they are going to make one more X-Wing game, and then cut us off for ten more years, they should at least have the decency to make it the BEST of everything that came before and then some!

The only reason the space fighter sim genre is 'dead' is there hasn't been anything worth playing put out for a while. With the right game, the genre would be back--especially if you could have games of a couple hundred people going multiplayer in HUGE battles set in the SW universe.

I would lose more hours of my life to such a game than I would care to admit.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I know we have all been crying out for a new game for a LONG time and that various petitions have been submitted to LucasArts, but there may be a new way to get noticed. Totally Games, the developers behind the series have now got a forum on the site, with an X-Wing series area. In there are two thread already asking for a new game to be produced. Remarkably, they actually check their forum, and here is one reply by one of the original X-Wing series developers:

"Some of the original team is still around, though most of them have moved on to other companies or out of the games industry altogether. However, Larry Holland is still here and that's the important part, since he's the vision behind the series. Of the people that worked on any of the Star Wars games, only Larry, Robin, myself, and Kevin remain.

I'd love to work on another Star Wars space sim if the opportunity presented itself. But that is not for us to decide, unfortunately. The game market for space sims have dried up and with it the money.

Albert Mack

Lead Programmer, Totally Games"

Go sign up at the forum and add your comments about getting a new game started and show them there is a market for a new space sim!

http://www.totallygames.com/phpBB2/index.php

HI, I need help playing the old games

yes a new game would be great

but I have the old X-wing games, I have windows 7, so how do I get a DOs-emulator? or something to play my games?

thanks

• 1 month later...
I don't think Lucasarts cares about the PC market anymore when they can produce console games that sell well. The effort that goes into making PC games these days.. and having to make it compatible with so many different systems scares most suits.

If there was ever to be an "X-wing" game that would work it would have to be hand in hand with the clone wars series that will be coming out. It also would have to have multi player and co-op support for a large campaign. XWA was set up for Co-op but TG never really had the time to fully implement it.. and the horrid net code practically killed any real Multiplayer chance

No I highly doubt Lucasarts would ever make another X-wing series game, and even if they did it wouldn't be anything near to something that was decent... they are most concerned about deadlines then about gameplay

this is retarded, how can they make a game over 10 years ago NO problems- but NOW its too hard. A TON of starwars nerds out there love the series, and even if Lucas Arts rehashed it with the same ****ty engine with new textures and a few new ships from the new movies- people would still buy it JUST because you would be able to play online. Isnt there a single out of work game programmer in this economy that can rehash it up and just release it.

i mean come on people we are tricking out our computers to run DOS for crying out loud- JUST to play this thing; cant they just get a temp to throw together a ****ty rehash? I would pay money for that if it means we can all play again!

In a desperate search to confirm a rumor i found this page and signed up just so i can vent. If hey dont want to make another Xwing VS tiefighter game then Lucas himself and shove a double ended Darth Maul Light-saber up his ass sideways and turn it on.

• 3 weeks later...

IF the Lucasfilms SW books are any example, the designers really have no say in getting licensing from LA. Typically Lucasfilms will go to someone and say "We want you to write a novel that includes this storyline" or "We will give you rights if you do this". Don't bother calling Lucasarts, they will call you

• 3 months later...
this is retarded, how can they make a game over 10 years ago NO problems- but NOW its too hard. A TON of starwars nerds out there love the series, and even if Lucas Arts rehashed it with the same ****ty engine with new textures and a few new ships from the new movies- people would still buy it JUST because you would be able to play online. Isnt there a single out of work game programmer in this economy that can rehash it up and just release it.

i mean come on people we are tricking out our computers to run DOS for crying out loud- JUST to play this thing; cant they just get a temp to throw together a ****ty rehash? I would pay money for that if it means we can all play again!

In a desperate search to confirm a rumor i found this page and signed up just so i can vent. If hey dont want to make another Xwing VS tiefighter game then Lucas himself and shove a double ended Darth Maul Light-saber up his ass sideways and turn it on.

we all think that is the case but its simply not true

this may seem a little out of context but hear me out

rugby... the last rugby game released for any console was in 2007, for 4 years people have been asking for a new one, saying stuff like we dont care about the graphics we just want a new game, well its coming out in a few weeks and it looks pretty much the same as the one from 4 years ago and people are up in arms about it

im afraid if they were to make a new x-wing game it would need an overhaul of the game engine to be able to use some of the awesome hardware that is available in the world today.

its a big ask for anyone to do this, especially in a climate where nobody is making flight Sims anymore so they have absolutely no idea how big the market is

Sure if they released a new one "that looked good" i would be first in line, but i would be super surprised if anything happened.

Archived