Home

Macbook Pro has been ordered

manoman81

I ordered my MBP yesterday on campus. Should be here in about a week or so. I guess they're really backlogged. Wish I could get it now. Anyways, need some opinions:

1) I need to have it dual boot into windows. XP Pro or Vista? If vista, which version? I am going to do a little bit of gaming on it.

2) Can Macs read NTFS drives? I was thinking I'm going to try to partition the HDD into 3 parts: OS, Windows, and a third for universal files: MP3s, pics, files for stuff like CS3, etc. Is this possible?

3) Is there a such thing as a mouse that is compatible with both systems? Not really a big deal but would cut down on the clutter in my bag.

Any other thoughts about what I should pick up would be great.

1) I'd recommend XP just because of Vista's might instability, but your MBP will run vista fine, should you wish it too.

2) Yes. With a bit of geek ingenuity they can write to NTFS too! Google NTFS-3G and MacFuse tools.

This link should help you out

http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/2007/04/01/howto-write-ntfs-partition-from-os-x.html#post_content_extended

3) Yes. Any standard USB mouse will work with OS X, so you can use a pc mouse still. Likewise, I believe you can use your mighty mouse in Windows, too.

Also make sure you get at least a small apple care package with it. You wouldn't want your investment to go unprotected.

It may sound corny saying this, but it really is a good idea, unlike with most pc's that you buy at circuit city or the like. Most often, Apple will replace your machine with a newer model should something go wrong.

I'm getting a MacBook Pro, soonish, too. I'm getting the faster 15" version:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

2GB DDR2 667 SDRAM

160GB Hard Drive

Geforce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3

Probably glossy display

I hardly even have to customize it, for it was perfect for my wishes.

I'd second the recommendation to go for XP Pro. I haven't used Vista besides looking at it in the stores but what I've heard from others hasn't been good.

Yeah i'd go for XP as well. Vista isnt all THAT great, other than the fact that it seems a lot more stable than XP. I never ever had to ctrl alt delete my way out of anything.

...other than the fact that it seems a lot more stable than XP. I never ever had to ctrl alt delete my way out of anything.

So, all you've done is turn it on then immediately turn it off :dozey:

As a testiment to how fail vista is, my cousins boyfriend who's helping down at the family auto garage has it on his laptop, and just trying to set up a simple computer to computer wireless network and playing Command And Conquer 3 on said wireless LAN caused 3 complete freezes that required reboots, and at least 7 frozen C&C3 games.

Seriously, wtf :dozey:

Well, back to the matter at hand. Another question: Did it take forever to actually receive said laptop for anyone else? I talked to the Apple guy on campus and he said I won't have it until Sept 16. That is if I actually believe Apple's dates.

I get mine faster when I order online directly from Apple's store...

Seems the "physical" Apple/Re-Seller Stores have to go through a bunch of hoops filling out the order, sending it in, blah blah...

However, it does seem to take a little longer no matter where you order it from whenever you change the 'default' specs.. go figure :giveup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Did you ever pick it up? Are you thinking about upgrading to Leopard? Will Batman and Robin survive the fall?

sorry for bumping.

A better question to ask is why? Why do you dig up the dead? Why do you place their bodies on slabs of metal and molest them with crude implements of science?

Why do you play God?

Why do you play God?

Cause it's fun?

Anyways, yeah I finally got mid way through Sept. I'm digging it. It's a solid machine and I'm getting to know OS more and more. As for Leopard, yeah I guess that I'm going to have to pick it up because the bootcamp 1.4 license is up when Leopard gets released. Problem is that I'm broke until next semester, so it's gonna have to wait.

And, yes, B & R will survive with the cunning use of the batarangs and shoelaces.

Y'know, if you know computers well enough, and you have mastered Windows XP, Windows Vista is just a shiny version of XP. Once you establish control over Vista, it's actually very good (and this is coming from someone who is cynical about Microsoft products).

I see it this way - if you have XP, don't upgrade to Vista. But, if you get a new computer, go with Vista if you don't mind familiarizing yourself with a new GUI and "re-learning" Windows (which is really just learning the new GUI and some new features, disabling UAC, etc.).

And my laptop runs Vista very smoothly and quickly.

- PR-0927

(which is really just learning the new GUI and some new features, disabling UAC, etc.).

- PR-0927

Regardless of what you think about UAC, disabling it simply makes it less secure than XP. Better to have it on with some minor annoyances than to not have it at all.

Archived