Home

New stance suggestion for Soresu(fast stance)

Quijohn

First let me apologize for the extremely long post. I recently noticed a hiccup in the animation for Soresu. Many of you are probably aware of it already. When you simply hit attack without moving in any direction you do the normal downward swing from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. It looks great until the return to your stance. The return starts off smoothly but just when the saber is almost back in ready position it jumps up higher than necessary and the player stands up taller for a split second and then snaps back to the stance. I'm not sure why this is, and I've tried to edit the animation cfg to get rid of it but I'm stumped as to how to make the "hiccup" go away. I realize that fast style had to be slowed down for balancing reasons and that maybe that's part of the reason. However I discovered a different stance that hides this "hiccup" quite well. It's quite different from the current stance but it is an actual stance for real swordplay. (I know this because I practice and study the German longsword which is much like a broad sword.) Anyways the animation number is 35. It's part of one of the original katas. The name of this stance in German longsword play is the "Ochs Guard"or the Ox Guard in english. Stances are generally called guards in real swordplay. I believe it's called the "ox" because of the way the sword points at your opponent from above your head. It's a defensive stance for easily parrying attacks from above which I thought fit nice with the fact that the bonuses you guys made for Soresu were all defensive. Another nice thing about this stance is that it looks better when your character is walking to the left than the original fast stance. (I never liked how your body leans over to the left so much during this) Here's a link to a page on German Longsword if you want to have a quick look at the Ox Guard without having to open up modview. Just scroll down to the pictures above where it says Ox Guard (Ochs).

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_arms_gls.html

The pictures are quite roughly drawn but you'll get the idea from them. They used a stance somewhat like this for Mace Windu in the episode 3 game. It's quite different from any of the other stances you guys have used so far which is good I think because it would be recognizable in game. Again the animation number is 35.

Please understand that I hold you all in the highest regard for what you've done with OJP thus far and I'm certainly not trying to brag about my study of swordplay. As far as swordfighting goes you guys have come closer to the real thing than any other game ever made in my books. This is just a suggestion and maybe you guys have something better in mind but I thought I might as well offer an idea even if it doesn't get used because I've had so much fun playing OJP so far. Again, sorry for the extremely long post.

Quijohn(usually Vitus Myjano in game) Hi Hoc!

• 2 months later...

I've looked into this and I'm sorry to inform you that I would not have a clue on how to fix the little hiccup without changing either the attack or the stance. And from your point of view, I think you won't like the attack since it leaves you open too much for a defensive style.

It's not the problem of there being one too many frames in the animation?

I tried decreasing the frames and it didn't work. It's strange, it doesn't show in modview but it does ingame. Even when I decreased the frames by 2 it still did it ingame but not in modview and it's only when not walking.

Archived