Home

Movie Sabers beta (SFX tweak)

Grey Raven

Would you like to see this in OJP?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this in OJP?

• Absolutely not, I like OJP's sabers! :(
    • Maybe, but I'd like to see more...
    • Sure, movie-realistic combat deserves movie-realistic effects! :)

Decided to update the SFX sabers to make them accurate up to Episode III. These screenshots are only of an early beta test. I also plan on updating the various effects in the game, as Raven's base effects really aren't that pretty and are even less movie accurate. I'm also debating whether or not to sabers and effects accurate to each separate movie so the player can select which ones he/she wants from the menu. Let me know if you'd like to see any of this in OJP. I'll keep working on this and posting updates, so please post some feedback - let me know what you think!

2019497590102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2913403050102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2450819930102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2450819930102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2540294650102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2201598280102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2900774120102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2234969910102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2800093800102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2108437050102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2569503510102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2522602790102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2674350470102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

2061746050102020293S600x600Q85.jpg

So far, the only real changes are the pointy, tapered blades with the ignition flare and a movie accurate clash flare (not shown, it's a sneaky effect to catch :) ).

I thought they looked awesome the first time I saw them in Version 1.0. I immediately ditched all other saberblade mods that I had been using. These screenshots look great. I like your idea of selectable movie type too. I was a kid when the Episode IV, V, and VI came out and although I enjoy the superior special effects in the prequels, there's something about the effects in the old movies that is fun too. Sometimes you wanna kick it old school I guess. Do you plan to include saber sounds? Maybe you have already. I wouldn't know because I've been using a mix of a few different saber sound pk3's from jk2filefront. I'll check next time I play. Anyways, great job, Grey Raven.

This version is really rough (it only covers EpIII sabers) and runs with base JKA. I haven't gotten to porting it to OJP yet. Just put the .pk3 in your base folder (or create a new one) and you're ready to go.

Movie Sabers v1.0 beta

Also, I'm downloading a program to take in-game video so I'll try to post some clips on YouTube. The screenshots give you basic idea, but especially for the Original Trilogy sabers you really need to see them animated.

Buffy, most people wont actually play with Dynamic Glow on, even though it does not cause a huge hit on fps anymore or rather broke the game pre-1.01, its more things to draw and thus lower fps. And the game isn't necessarily all about the looks, but how it plays. :p

Got the basic code working and tweaked for base JKA, now I'm in the process of porting it over to OJP. I'm having a few problems, but I should be able to iron out the bugs tomorrow. After that, it's just a matter of getting the assets to be as movie accurate as possible. So far, the sabers for Episode III and the Original Trilogy are completely done. Sorry, no new screenshots yet. :p

Got the port to OJP complete. No extra effects yet, just sabers.

OJP Movie Sabers v1.1

Unfortunately, I'm no good at menu editing, so to change the sabers in game go to the console and type "cg_MovieSaberType #", where "#" is the number of the type you want:

0. Base JKA,

1. Episode I,

2. Episode II,

3. Episode III,

4. SFX Sabers,

5. Original Trilogy.

I'd still like to change the colors a little bit more, but this will do for now. Enjoy!

- Grey Raven

I'm not sure if anyone else had problems, but the file I posted before wouldn't work for me, so I'm, posting this fix. Also, please read the additional notes in the readme.

OJP Movie Sabers v1.1

Same rules as before, cg_MovieSaberType and so on...

As far as posting the code, There's a little too much, I think, to post in this forum. I will post a download of the source files with changelog documentation so that you can look over it, but it will have to wait for now, as I'm not on my development machine and don't have the code on hand. Also there are a few little points I noticed this morning that I'd like to iron out before I submit the finished code.

BTW, does anyone know of any good tutorials on menu editing? I've tried editing the .menu and .str files, but they have no effect in any of my games.

Thanks for the help, and the feedback.

Peace,

Grey Raven

Impressive. Did you make sure that swords work properly and that trailstyle does what it's supposed to? And that RGB Sabers, black sabers, et cetera all work? The original SFX Sabers did not work properly with these things and I had to mod it.

The menu and str files must be loaded by setting fs_game in the command line, or they won't take properly... Try making the pk3 with a z as the first letter as well. It's very easy I find...

Alright, as promised, source code. All the neccessary assets are included. Just compile and enjoy!

OJP Movie Sabers v1.1 Source

Lathain, the sabers do work with RGB, scripted and black sabers, but I still need to tweak the glows to make them a little more vibrant. I didn't even consider the sword stuff, though, but since that's taken care of by the default Raven saber code, if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say they should work. I do have an idea I'd like to try with the swords. Not sure if it will work.

About the menu editing, do you mean "+set fs_game ojpenhanced"? I use that already to launch OJP but my custom menus still don't show up. It's like the game doesn't know they're there.

Peace

- Grey Raven

Hmmm... I'm leery of adding all the functions like that, most of the SFX-derived code seems painfully similar and I don't see why you can't check for the value in the function itself.

Further... I see you extended my SFX mod, okay, I suppose swords might work if I remembered to add their trails and such in. And actually, sword trails are taken care of in the default saber code, yes, but SFX Sabers removed them. I'm trying to recall if I put them back... and apparently i did. I wonder if I put it all back...

From reading your code, you messed with the original sabers and in general added junk, I added an if clause for my SFX mod so that their saber trail duration and so forth would remain intact, SFX and normal have different durations. You made it always false.

Normal: 
saberTrail->duration = saberMoveData[cent->currentState.saberMove].trailLength;

SFX:
saberTrail->duration = 0;

This is easily correctable, there was no need to comment out my if clause for sfx_sabers. You instead should have simply changed it to your cvar, which would have preserved the original blades.

Also, I see a bug. Your switch does not provide a default in the instance of a person entering a number above 5.

Lathain, not sure which if you mean. The only one I changed was the

"if( sfx_sabers < 0 )" to "if( cg_MovieSaberType < 0 )". Other than that, the code is exactly how it came from the repository.

As for the bug fix, how's this:

//[Movie Sabers]

switch( cg_MovieSaberType.interger )

{

case 1:

CG_DoEp1Saber( );

break;

case 2:

CG_DoEp2Saber( );

break;

case 3:

CG_DoEp3Saber( );

break;

case 4:

CG_DoSFXSaber( );

break;

case 5:

CG_DoOTSaber( );

break;

default:

CG_DoSaber( );

}

//[/Movie Sabers]

( argument list left out for space )?

I still need to give it a good look about the swords, though. I just haven't had time yet, with school just starting back up. I will get it out there, though.

Peace

- Grey Raven

How are you storing your menu files? Are they in a .pk3?

Absolutely. I don't know how to make the engine read anything that's not in a .pk3...yet ;) It's just that I've tried about five times to edit a menu file, zip it up into .pk3, and load it, but none of my changes show in-game. I've got a few leads to try out to maybe solve my problem, so hopefully I'll get it figured out. I'm not sure if maybe there's some file other than the actual .menu files that I need to edit to make the game read my menu files instead of the ones I'm trying to overwrite, but I haven't gotten around to checking that out yet.

Try adding zzz_ to the beginning of it. I don't know incredibly much about making replacements, but the ones I did make all failed until I tried this. They still generally fail but hey.

Sabers are nice (not generic comment meaning I didn't actually download them, I actually downloaded them). At first I was squinting to notice a difference, than I found the file still on my desktop and popped it in.

Hmmm...I see your point. I didn't document that change, and then I forgot I'd done it :tsk:. Anyway, I'll take care of that and get the sword trails back in, cuz right now they are disabled. Also, I need to tweak the bug fix cuz it completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) bypasses the fx.mVerts stuff for Raven's (their's, not mine ;) ) sabers. Bug fixes make the world go 'round...

And I condensed the three DoSaber functions into one really big a** DoPrequelSaber function. It still needs a little tweak with certain saber widths, and hopefully someone can better organize my shader selection code.

Oh, thanks Razor for info about how the .pk3s are ordered. I actually got a working .menu edit, but I had to zip it into the OJP stuff .pk3. I can only guess it's because I was using .pk3s named "MovieSabers..." and such. It's funny that I never ran into problems with .pk3 ordering before (at least, not that I noticed... :nutz1:).

Peace

- Grey Raven

Well the .menu could still be a seperate pk3 I believe. If I'm somehow right, you make the seperate pk3, and make the ui folder, inside you place the .menus and all that stuff. Name it like zzz_newmenus.pk3 or something to that effect, than place it in the ojpenhanced folder. It'll be easier to upload than an entire editted ojpenhancedstuff pk3. Hopefully this is right, seeing as its only experience from MB2.

As I said, I got the whole menu editing thing to work, so I finally got a working edit for OJP's menus. You can now select your saber type from the menu, insted of having to use the console. Once I get back home, I'll post the updated download.

Peace

- Grey Raven

As I said, I got the whole menu editing thing to work, so I finally got a working edit for OJP's menus. You can now select your saber type from the menu, insted of having to use the console. Once I get back home, I'll post the updated download.

Peace

- Grey Raven

Great job. I look forward to it. Your episode 3 saber actually motivated me to make the default sfx saber a little better looking since the defualt one s are ALOT bigger than yours and the movies. Not anymore ;) Your sabers are great and its a great feature to have, though I do wish they have the non dynamic glow, err...glow of the default ones. but with dynamic glow on, they look perfect.

Archived