Home

BIOSHOCK!!!!

REDJOHNNYMIKE

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i already have the game via Steam. excellent stuff. in fact, if i didn't have class in the morning, i'd still be playing it right now.

just a note to those that get the game via Steam: you'll need to update DirectX to play Bioshock. the DirectX update is included with the boxed retail version, but it isn't with Steam. (download here)

otherwise, the game runs very smooth with all the in-game graphics options maxed running at 1600x1200. i haven't used FRAPS to give you an exact estimate, but the framerate is high enough that i haven't noticed a single hitch even during heavy combat sequences.

granted, my specs are: AthlonX2 4600, GeForce 8800GTS 640MB, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, and an X-Fi sound card. even then, i've been told from several friends with older hardware that that game runs very smooth on their systems. so, unlike other games in the past like FEAR, STALKER, and Oblivion, this game is not a system killer despite the excellent graphics and gameplay.

anyways, i need some sleep before i go to class, but after that, i'll definitely be back in the middle of this game. :)

I bought an elite yesterday(with my store credit from my broken regular 360) and downloaded the demo for this. I think this game will make me forget that my computer still isn't working and hold me over till Mass Effect and beyond.

The water effects are amazing.

*reaches for wallet, car keys, and driving gloves*

Driving gloves!?! That's soooo 80's "Rhett-tro" :D

Whyhowcomeisitso that I've only heard of this game as of 5 minutes ago?! You guys and gals are so supposed to poke me in the ribs every now and then to make sure I'm paying attention :lol:

This game looks frackin' sweet..

BioShock is great, the controls are very intuitive. Switching between plasmids(magic powers) and weapons is just clicking the right mousebutton and then wheel to scroll to the one you need. The graphics are just awesome, I'm very impressed by how great it runs even with everything maxed. I haven't noticed any video lag, the game runs perfectly. If you can play Oblivion with a decent fps then you won't have any problem with BioShock. Deffinately worth the money.

My system: Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2x1GB PC4000, Radeon X1950pro 512MB

The Story is pretty cool but the intro leaves you with many questions as to how and why your in the situation ;) This is a game that should be played at night in the dark with a good pair of 5.1 headphones :)

OMG! Got a link to that version of Doom?

Btw, think I can run it with these specs?

Intel Pentium 4 3,2 GHZ

Nvidia GeForce 7800GS 256MB

2 GIG of RAM

- Ghost Down

you should be fine. Bioshock is rather memory hungry, but it doesn't seem to pull too many resources from the CPU and Video card as far as i can tell. i need to do some tests to see exactly how much utilization is involved, but you're system should handle the game just fine.

What about mine? :(

Athlon 3200+

7800 OC Superclock

1 Gig

i think it would run rather well, actually. the game really isn't a huge resource hog now that i've done some tests. my memory utilization for the game is about 986,000K (or about 0.94GB), so that would be the biggest issue on your end. my CPU and video card utilization hardly ever maxes out, though. granted, i have high end stuff, but you're stuff isn't too terribly far behind.

just remember to update your graphics drivers and tone down a couple of settings and the screen resolution. with that in mind, go get the game and have some fun. :)

A word of warning the game does require activation, and the rumors are that it can only be installed on 2 computers. Though some people have said they were only able to install the game twice on the same PC.

Its a great game but this type of securom BS is pissing off alot of people and in the end its only going to hurt the company, because we all know that some clever hackers will figure out a way to disable the activation, so the only people that will be hassled by activation are the paying customers.

What will those paying customers do the next time. I know I'll think twice about buying another game with this activation garbage. It doesn't prevent pirating it never has and in the end they will lose customers.

But still it is a great game. :)

Alright, looking at the way people are dying for this game, I believe it is safe to conclude that this is the new greatest game eva. Think I can run it with these specs?

Pentium III 1.0 GHz

512 MB RAM

nVidia GeForce FX 5200

Shiny CPU Case

It's a joke, I assure you.

Hmm... I've just gotten up to Fort Frolic and I can safely say that the designer for this area is insane - beyond insane, actually. I normally can't get into first person shooters but this seems to drag me in. Aside from the crazy splicers and the intuitive controls, I just like to look at some of the environments - especially those with large windows and lots of water :). Yes... water... hehe... lots and lots of water...

Alright, looking at the way people are dying for this game, I believe it is safe to conclude that this is the new greatest game eva.

I think it is safe. It's everywhere I see. I go to the mall and they have it advertised. I come home and turn on the TV and there is a commercial of it playing. Then, I come online and Bioshock is being talked about both here and the Swamp. And by the time I went to bed, I think I fell asleep thinking about. I think it's safe to conclude that this game is amazing. Either that or I am just paranoid. :nutz1:

:p

I think it is safe. It's everywhere I see. I go to the mall and they have it advertised. I come home and turn on the TV and there is a commercial of it playing. Then, I come online and Bioshock is being talked about both here and the Swamp. And by the time I went to bed, I think I fell asleep thinking about. I think it's safe to conclude that this game is amazing. Either that or I am just paranoid. :nutz1:

Unless it's very skillfully deployed hype. :)

I'll hopefully get my copy on Monday, so I haven't played it yet. Have anyone here who's played Bioshock also played System Shock 2 in the past? If so, how do the games compare? It's said that Bioshock would be a spiritual successor of SS 2, though successors sometimes have a tendency of not living up to the original. :)

Just too bad they decided to tarnish what seems like an excellent game with such intrusive copy protection DRM. That will pretty much ensure that, unlike it's spiritual successor, it will be impossible to install and re-play Bioshock 6-7 years from now. :disaprove

A little more to add about the negative slag attached to this game. SecureRom also installs a rootkit on your PC (Here is a link that will walk you through removing the rootkit ) http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/

SecurRom says the reason for the rootkit is to allow non admin users use all the services that securrom needs. Thats why rootkits are so evil, they open your PC up to security risks. Even if the reasons for the rootkit are meant to be "convenient" to the user its not something that should be installed on a users pc without them knowing.

Have anyone here who's played Bioshock also played System Shock 2 in the past? If so, how do the games compare?

The basic gameplay is very similar to SS2, However SS2 was alot more skill focused, Such as needing separate skills for each weapon type and psi amp. In Bioshock you can use any weapon you find right away providing you have ammo for the weapon. Also in Bioshock you don't need to have any skills in hacking in order to hack something, hacking is a mini game where you match up pipes to make a path from the entrance to the exit of the circuit(its easy in the begining, but does get much more difficult as obsticals are randomly placed in your way) You can install "gene tonics" that can help make hacking easyer as you progress in the game.

Gene tonics are passive upgrades that you can make to your body to make yourself stronger, faster, smarter.

SS2 had psi powers but in Bioshock you have Plasmids such as shock, freeze, incinerate fun things like that. you start the game with 2 plasmid slots but you can buy more up to 6 plasmid slots with a special substance called "ADAM". ADAM is basically point that you use to buy more plasmids and gene tonics. ADAM can only be gained from the npc's called the "little sisters", you can Help save the little sisters you can harvest the ADAM from

them either way you will get ADAM, the trick is that they are protected by npc's called the "BIG Daddies".

The character growth is pretty customizable to suit any play style and I think will allow for alot of replay value.

Archived