Home

BIOSHOCK!!!!

REDJOHNNYMIKE

Just too bad they decided to tarnish what seems like an excellent game with such intrusive copy protection DRM. That will pretty much ensure that, unlike it's spiritual successor, it will be impossible to install and re-play Bioshock 6-7 years from now. :disaprove
all the more reason to use the Steam version of the game which lacks the SecureROM copy-protection. the Steam version doesn't need any keys or whatever, and if you want to move the game to another computer, all you need to do is to use Steam to burn a backup disc, install Steam on the other computer, log in to Steam, and decompress the backup files off the disc. no copy protection is required, and you have unlimited installations.

seriously, why people are so quick to dismiss Steam as a bad idea is something i don't understand.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
all the more reason to use the Steam version of the game which lacks the SecureROM copy-protection. the Steam version doesn't need any keys or whatever, and if you want to move the game to another computer, all you need to do is to use Steam to burn a backup disc, install Steam on the other computer, log in to Steam, and decompress the backup files off the disc. no copy protection is required, and you have unlimited installations.

seriously, why people are so quick to dismiss Steam as a bad idea is something i don't understand.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=7670&s=0,19,288,70,72,77,363,197&i=0,8220&cc=US&skin=4

Note: Contains SecuROM copy control software. Installations limited to five PCs per license

:/

Got something in the mail today :emodanc:

bioshsq1.jpg

A little more to add about the negative slag attached to this game. SecureRom also installs a rootkit on your PC (Here is a link that will walk you through removing the rootkit ) http://www.gamingbob.com/2007/08/23/bioshock-installs-rootkit-including-demo/

That's bad. Though either they don't include all that in the release version, or they're just better at hiding it there. I just installed the full game and didn't end up with any service as described on that page (as far as I can find). Still, activation and limited installs are a bad thing. :disaprove

The basic gameplay is very similar to SS2, However SS2 was alot more skill focused, Such as needing separate skills for each weapon type and psi amp. In Bioshock you can use any weapon you find right away providing you have ammo for the weapon.

That does sound somewhat familiar, though in this case that's not a bad thing. System Shock 2 is fun to play. Hopefully you can save whenever you want in Bioshock, those minigame hacking puzzles can get a bit annoying otherwise I'd imagine.

Does Bioshock have infinitely respawning enemies if you backtrack to areas you've already been to before as well, like SS2 had?

Gin and tonics are passive upgrades that you can make to your body to make yourself stronger, faster, smarter.

I suppose you can't be a jack of all trades in the game, then? You have to choose a few things to specialize in, if you've got a limited number of such upgrades.

ADAM can only be gained from the npc's called the "little sisters", you can Help save the little sisters you can harvest the ADAM from

them either way you will get ADAM, the trick is that they are protected by npc's called the "BIG Daddies".

Seems like huge hulking brutes in armor is pretty much standard issue in shooter games nowadays (Farcry Fatboys, Halo Hunters etc). Hopefully they aren't that cliché in Bioshock. :)

The character growth is pretty customizable to suit any play style and I think will allow for alot of replay value.

Time to find out. :emodanc: Hopefully there aren't too many game-stopping bugs, I didn't manage to find any patch released yet (perhaps unsurprising since the game has only been released a few days. :))

That's bad. Though either they don't include all that in the release version, or they're just better at hiding it there. I just installed the full game and didn't end up with any service as described on that page (as far as I can find). Still, activation and limited installs are a bad thing. :disaprove
i don't see where its an issue. seriously, if you uninstall before you reinstall, then what's the problem?? unless you're looking to make copies of the game and distribute them over the internet, i just don't see where this is some big issue.
That does sound somewhat familiar, though in this case that's not a bad thing. System Shock 2 is fun to play. Hopefully you can save whenever you want in Bioshock, those minigame hacking puzzles can get a bit annoying otherwise I'd imagine.
you can save whenever you want. i just wish it was bound to a key instead of you having to ESC out into a menu before you save.
I suppose you can't be a jack of all trades in the game, then? You have to choose a few things to specialize in, if you've got a limited number of such upgrades.
indeed. you'll have to pick and choose what kind of upgrades you want to use and level out their advantages against each other. you'll also have to pick and choose when it comes to harvesting the Little Sisters vs rescuing them. if you harvest them, you'll have more points to spend on your plasmids even though you're compensated through gifts every 3rd sister you rescue. this means that you can choose to be a tank or a hybrid spellcaster (stealth is rather limited). and get used to hacking; you'll be doing it often.
Seems like huge hulking brutes in armor is pretty much standard issue in shooter games nowadays (Farcry Fatboys, Halo Hunters etc). Hopefully they aren't that cliché in Bioshock. :)
but unlike those big hulking guys, the Big Daddies are fast and furious. they're very difficult to kill, especially early on when you're lacking effective weaponry. there's two types to worry about: the Rosie's which carry a huge rivet gun and throw proximity grenades at you, and then you have the Bouncers that are armed only with a massive drill, brute strength, and massive speed.
Time to find out. :emodanc: Hopefully there aren't too many game-stopping bugs, I didn't manage to find any patch released yet (perhaps unsurprising since the game has only been released a few days. :))
well, having beaten the game already, i haven't run into any bugs, minor or major, that i can tell of. anyways, have fun. :)

I have finally played some of the game. I am enjoying the game A LOT thus far. Very well done. Seems quite realistic, in the sense of mechanics, visual, audio. Very well done in that area.

All the neat little details, hacking, vending machines, and the atmosphere makes the game ever so fun.

Currently, I just defeat Dr. Steinman. Though, before hand, I foolishly get rid of the Electro Bolt for Telekenesis. :doh: And I have yet to face a Big Daddy.

i don't see where its an issue. seriously, if you uninstall before you reinstall, then what's the problem?? unless you're looking to make copies of the game and distribute them over the internet, i just don't see where this is some big issue.

The issue with limited installations is in cases where you don't have the opportunity to uninstall the game first. Hard drive crashes do happen, unfortunately, or if your Windows install gets messed up so the uninstall won't work.

The issue with online activation is that you can only play that game as long as the company is in business and deign to provide servers for the online activation. Great games are worth replaying on occasion years after they were first released. If games like PS:Torment, System Shock 2, Deus Ex or VtM:Bloodlines had used such online activation DRM those classic games would not be possible to play today since the companies that made them no longer exist. If I buy a game I want to be able to play it when I want, not only when a company is around to grant me the privilege to play what I've already paid for.

DRM does not only cause problems for software pirates. In many cases they're the ones who suffer the least from it in the long run since warez-versions tend to have the copy protection removed anyway.

The issue with limited installations is in cases where you don't have the opportunity to uninstall the game first.

The issue with online activation is that you can only play that game as long as the company is in business and deign to provide servers for the online activation. Great games are worth replaying on occasion years after they were first released. If games like PS:Torment, System Shock 2, Deus Ex or VtM:Bloodlines had used such online activation DRM those classic games would not be possible to play today since the companies that made them no longer exist.

I agree with stoffe and that is exactly the problem that I have with the activation. I tend to format my pc atleast once every 6 months, now I have to remember to uninstall BIOSHOCK, where normally I would just format the partition and reinstall.

The second is again the same as stoffe, I play many of my old games every now and again. I mean I just installed SS2 again (with a couple mods) a couple weeks ago. That game is 8 years old, and its still fun to play, will I even be able to install Bioshock 8 years from now? Also what if I end up going through different pc configurations. Say for instance my mobo dies on me, I would have to buy a replacement and I may not be able to get the exact same mobo so then in this case I would have to reformat my PC with out being able to uninstall the game.

I could go on an on, but I won't. this type of copy protection is only going to promote piracy. I have to say its always pissed me off when I as a paying customer am bound to stricter restrictions than the people that pirate the game. BioShock doesn't even have multiplayer, what's the point of the security for a single player game.

More Game devs should take a look at what Stardock has done with Galactic Civillization. If you want to install updates and bonus upgrades you then need to use your cdkey. otherwise there is no need to enter in the key.

Well, it's a stunningly beautiful game but it hard crashes everytime I try to load the medical facility. :(

I hear this is happening to a lot of other people too. Many are saying that turning off High Detail Shaders fixes most crashing problems.

UPDATE: That trick seems to have worked for me! :)

You can switch them back later on.

I know. I just prefer having that specific power when hacking security cameras and turrets. Though, incinerate is helpful against Big Daddies.

@ Boba Rhett

Depends how you want to defeat them. If you don't mind dying than transfer back to those "checkpoints" (name escapes me atm), just do as much damage as you can.

The shotgun and Incinerate are helpful. As well as using Telekinesis to throw objects at the Big Daddies. The anti-armour ammo is efficient as well.

Rhett:

with the first Big Daddy i faced, i used a combo of zapping him with an electro, got a little bit of distance from him and opened up with my Thompson. then, he'd charge me, and i'd sidestep him and repeat the process till he died. you'd be surprised at how effective that method is if you can time most everything right. you'll probably take a couple of hits, but i still managed to get through that fight almost unscathed.

hope that helps, man. ;)

Some things I use for facing Big Daddies:

Armor piercing machine gun rounds, explosive shotgun shells, the freeze power, incinerate, grenade launcher with proximity, frag, and heatseekers, and if I run out of ammo, armor piercing pistol rounds.

When I fought my first big daddy, I hacked those two turrets in the Med Facility and they provided some distraction (and a little help). Electrobolt and incinerate gave me a couple of seconds too.

I still got smacked around like a little crack whore, but that's what those 9 health packs are for.

Anyone else beat the game yet? How about those "ohsnap" parts?

Anyone else beat the game yet? How about those "ohsnap" parts?

The whole "would you kindly" thing definitely caught me off guard. I only wish the plot pulled you in earlier, it felt like most of the game was just point and shoot stuff.

I'll have to try for the "good guy" ending this time though, for some reason I got Tennenbaum's whole "you suck" speech at the end even though I harvested maybe one Little Sister throughout the entire game.

---

Does this game take forever to load for anyone else? Every time it loads a new area it seems to take forever compared to other games.

Does this game take forever to load for anyone else? Every time it loads a new area it seems to take forever compared to other games.
well, you have to admit that at least the maps are very large in size. predictably: large maps = long load times. my system isn't too bad (about 15-30 seconds), but i'm also running two WD Raptors in RAID 0. ;)

Archived