Home

Router Help (Xbox Live)

This section seems the most appropriate area to ask such a question.

It's more of an opinion I need, rather than asking a question. For those who have an Xbox 360 (I assume that Astro may not be able to help with this one ;)), I am wondering, which router(s) are efficient and effective when trying to connect to Xbox Live?

At the moment, I am looking into which one I should get. Since I have minimal knowledge regarding this type of technology. :confused:

I have been doing some research. I am particularly in interested in a router (I only have a modem, in which I can only connect the internet to my PC) that is wireless (and can be connected through an Ethernet cable as well). Though, wireless will do since I am playing from room and my computer is a good 15 or so feet a way from my computer in a separate room.

I would just like opinions from other members about what routers work the best for you. :)

when it comes to wireless, i swear by Netgear and D-Link for anything and everything. Linksys used to be a good option, but its been my experience that they don't tend to be very reliable after a while. also, make sure you steer clear of Wireless-N devices. wireless-N still isn't standardized, and since the 360 wireless adapter is an 802.11g device, its not going to support the higher speeds anyway.

with the 360, connecting to a wireless router is similar to connecting a PC wirelessly to a router. all you need to know is the SSID and the pass code (if you need one). the 360 supports WEP and WPA encryption; so you can still run a relatively secure wireless network while you're at it.

the biggest problem you might have is with the router's built-in firewall as it might be blocking the TCP or UDP ports that Xbox Live utilizes (whichever ones it uses, i have no idea). if you do end up having problems, that would be the first thing you should check. otherwise, i can't foresee you having any problems as long as you get a good router.

good luck making up your mind. :)

when it comes to wireless, i swear by Netgear and D-Link for anything and everything. Linksys .....

Linkysys formally no longer exists... :) They are Cisco now - though I imagine their products are still supported.

I have many friends that are xbox gamers, and they swear by this gadget...

gamerlounge.jpg

here's a review

some "real people" reviews at newegg are always a handy read.

good luck :D

mtfbwya

Linksys used to be a good option, but its been my experience that they don't tend to be very reliable after a while.
This has been my experience as well. I've gone through 2 Linksys routers in 4 years and am currently looking for a non-Linksys wireless and wired router. :D

Linkysys formally no longer exists... They are Cisco now - though I imagine their products are still supported.
True that Cisco purchased Linksys a few years back but Cisco still produces and sells SOHO networking products using the Linksys brand in direct competition with DLink and Netgear. http://www.linksys.com

Maybe Linksys doesn't operate in The Land Down Under anymore?

Initially, the linksys brand was reported to be on a phase out plan (reported late July 2007), which is when I heard of it last. Cisco have since put a stop on it, for the time being...

READ

so rejoice all you linksys fans :D

Im a belkin fan myself. Never had one iota of a problem with their kit. Never used d-link because their stuff is ugly! (except that pictured above perhaps)

...netgear is a swear word for me... long, long, long story, involving $hit hardware and $hit support from Calcuttas finest :( but i wont rant ;)

mtfbwya

Archived