Home

Another Idea for KOTOR III's Story...

Med_21B

Here's my idea for KOTOR III. Just go with me here...

Opening Scenes...

The game needs to start with the Exile (your first PC) searching for Revan. Quick into the game, Revan is found hiding out as a spy, watching the True Sith's plans unfold. Revan speaks and allies with the Exile, but as they leave, they are confronted by one of Sith Masters and the Exile must stall him and risk his life to make sure Revan can escape (sort of like how Trask fought Bandon to buy you time). Revan flees and thanks the Exile quickly for understanding the importance of the mission. The doors are closed and the Exile is gone. Then Revan (your new PC) escapes on the Ebon Hawk.

Gameplay...

So the layout of the game would be similar to the previous games: you go from planet to planet trying to complete smaller missions that lead to the big one, but instead of tracking down star maps or lost Jedi the goal would be to contact all of the leaders of the different branches of authority throughout the galaxy and draft them into a final showdown with the true threat.

The game's main focus would be Revan gathering his allies and telling them to prepare for war. This involves visiting different planets and contacting the various leaders of the Galaxy:

1. Canderous Ordo (Mandalore) - Locate him on Onderon or Dxun, or perhaps somewhere entirely new.

2. Admiril Carth Onasi - Locate him on a newly resurrected Telos or maybe Naboo.

3. Master Bastila Shan - Locate her on Coruscant, and also rally the remaining Jedi masters at the underground Jedi Temple on Dantooine.

4. A Modern Sith Lord or Bounty Hunter Crime Boss - This person would be the authority of the players chosing, and would be an optional recruitment for reinforcement depending on alignment (IE Mira and Hanhaar in KOTOR II).

I think this layout would work, because in KOTOR II you are constantly reminded that Revan has given each of his personal friends orders to prepare for the true threat and the enemy at hand (IE Mandalore gathering the Mandalorian troops in KOTOR II, and Carth Onasi telling the Exile that he is following Revan's orders).

Then at the end of the game Revan would man all of his varied fleets and use master strategy techniques to conquer the True Sith's forces while Revan himself confronts the Sith Masters. This could be where the Exile makes another appearance, influenced by the dark side or possibly still being held captive. Then the final battle would obviously be between Revan and the Sith Masters.

Ending...

Then of course there are the two different endings, a light and a dark. The light would have Revan marked a hero again and could end in a variety of ways (most dependent on who lives and who dies during the game). The dark side ending would have Revan becoming the ruler of the galaxy once more.

I don't really like the idea of Revan ending as a Dark Sith Master, though, as in KOTOR II we learned that Revan originally didn't "fall" to the Dark Side, but embraced it only for the greater good of the Galaxy to prepare the Republic and Sith Armada for the True Threat that only he and Malak knew about. So with this information it can be concluded that Revan doesn't fall to a path of evil, but rather must use the Dark Side as a tool to become powerful enough to protect the Galaxy. He would have succeeded too if it wasn't for the betrayal of Malak and taking the Sith in a more corrupt and less admirable direction.

And that's an element of the story that I really want to be played up in KOTOR III, because I think some people don't pay enough attention to the history of Revan in KOTOR II and miss that little tid-bit of Revan's real intentions. It's a shame too, because it really makes the games all the more rewarding to play.

Thoughts? Comments?

_Max

Darth Malak "ruining" Revan's plans is pretty much Revan's own fault since he/she was the one who put him in the the position to overthrow him/her in the first place (by making him his/her apprentice).

In addition it is the law of the Sith to dispose of the Master when the apprentice is ready so unless Revan wasn't aware of the full nature of the teachings he/she spread throughout the ranks then he/she should have seen Malaks betrayal coming.

Well... I don't think that it will be possible to play as Revan becouse he was too strong at the end of K1 (you would lose all the fun from getting your PC stronger and stuff ;) ). Also I don't know is it a good idea to have almost all your party from K1 back in K3. I'd like to see new characters, new story (continuation of previous two ofcourse).

And what's more: your story seems to me too much linear... no surprises at all, I know these are just some ideas but I don't see any places for punch-lines like:

"I am your father" ;) or "You are Revan" or even "You are the wound of the Force"

<-- these are not exact quotations but it gives you an idea.

Well... I don't think that it will be possible to play as Revan becouse he was too strong at the end of K1 (you would lose all the fun from getting your PC stronger and stuff ;) ). Also I don't know is it a good idea to have almost all your party from K1 back in K3. I'd like to see new characters, new story (continuation of previous two ofcourse).

And what's more: your story seems to me too much linear... no surprises at all, I know these are just some ideas but I don't see any places for punch-lines like:

"I am your father" ;) or "You are Revan" or even "You are the wound of the Force"

<-- these are not exact quotations but it gives you an idea.

Playing as Revan again is simple enough. You have him start on level 1 again, give him a few basic powers and force meter. In KOTOR, Jolee Bindo and Bastila Shan started on level 1 even being trained Jedi, and in KOTOR II, Mandalore, T3 and HK had to start again at ground zero, so why not Revan?

And if you want it explained in dialogue, it can be argued that in Revan's exile from society he hasn't been using his force powers and has lost touch with the force and his old combat skills. By this time it's probably been 7 or 8 years since his disappearance.

And my idea is about as linear as the previous two KOTOR's were; you are given an ultimate goal achieved through finding a series of items/people. The surprise comes from finding out who you have to contact (IE - Carth, Bastila, etc.), not necessarily revolutionizing your perceptions of the characters. We've already done that. What this game is meant to do in the first place is answer questions. Through this idea, you would find out what everyone has been doing to prepare for war, where Revan was, not to mention the unexpected final encounter with the Exile.

And obviously new characters are a must. Carth, Bastila and Mandalore don't necessarily join your party when you find them. In fact, I think your party should be comprised mostly of new characters and KOTOR II characters (after all, they are the Lost Jedi Prophecies). But definitely through in some wild cards. Can't have a good game without some fresh faces and new places to expore...

_Max

Playing as Revan again is simple enough. You have him start on level 1 again, give him a few basic powers and force meter. In KOTOR, Jolee Bindo and Bastila Shan started on level 1 even being trained Jedi, and in KOTOR II, Mandalore, T3 and HK had to start again at ground zero, so why not Revan?

And if you want it explained in dialogue, it can be argued that in Revan's exile from society he hasn't been using his force powers and has lost touch with the force and his old combat skills. By this time it's probably been 7 or 8 years since his disappearance.

I'd personally hate seeing that, and it doesn't make much sense either. Has Revan been doing nothing during KotOR and TSL or between TSL and KotOr 3? I'd rather have a new character with a fresh background, instead of another excuse as to why a previous character goes back to level 1.

The rest of the story is good, but i'd dislike having old characters being forced. In TSL, we could select Revan's alignment so that certain characters would be dead / fullfilling a particular role, and i think KotOR 3 should stick to that as well.

To be frank Mandalore and HK-47 served pretty much no real purpose in K2. Really I honestly fail to see why Mandalore and HK couldn't have been just important NPCs.

Sure, you'd lose Mandalore and HK-47, or you'd have to invent characters like them. But is that really such a great loss? It's not like either of them actually went anywhere in the game. They were basically there for people to go "oh, cool, continuity!" and that's it.

To be frank Mandalore and HK-47 served pretty much no real purpose in K2. Really I honestly fail to see why Mandalore and HK couldn't have been just important NPCs.

Sure, you'd lose Mandalore and HK-47, or you'd have to invent characters like them. But is that really such a great loss? It's not like either of them actually went anywhere in the game. They were basically there for people to go "oh, cool, continuity!" and that's it.

Cut content spoiled HK-47 "big part" in the game .

Really certain characters seem to lack nice quests or new stories in TSL , but we all now how butchered that game is .

IMO , this is a good excuse for HK . ( No I'm not a fanboy :) )

I'd personally hate seeing that, and it doesn't make much sense either. Has Revan been doing nothing during KotOR and TSL or between TSL and KotOr 3? I'd rather have a new character with a fresh background, instead of another excuse as to why a previous character goes back to level 1.

I'm assuming that if you play as a new character you would be searching for Revan or the Unknown Regions? If this is the case (and it pretty much has to be given the timeline), this sounds like the worst idea of all time... I don't get the whole "Let's play as a new character! You can't be Revan or Exile because you've already leveled them up!"

So what!?

KOTOR III should be about preparing for battle. The Jedi are reforming and the Exile is already in search of Revan, so why would the new council send some no-face Jedi to look for someone who's made clear he doesn't want to be followed?

I just think it makes sense to play as Revan or Exile... I mean, that's where the action is, and I'm sick of searching for someone, especially when we already know where Revan is: the Unknown Regions. But remember that only the Exile, Bastila, Carth and (possibly) Mandalore know of that motive. The only way I would ever play as a new Jedi is if I am a Padawan to Revan, fighting with Revan.

There's no way I'm playing another game where I have to find all the crap I found in the last game. That's why playing as a new Jedi doesn't make sense to me: that was what KOTOR II was ALL ABOUT.

In a way, playing as a new character is more repetitive than playing as your old characters. At least they're on the trail to something plot-provoking...

Does no one sympathize with this?

_Max

The idea of being padawan is a good one for K3, but I was thinking about having someone else than Revan as your master (like some of characters you trained to be Jedi in K2). Yet still you could have Revan in your party as a grey Jedi (like Jolee or Kreia) without knowing it is him/her until some plot event in game (just an idea). You will ask 'why Revan would be a gray Jedi?'. I think K2 suggests that (s)he isn't either dark or lightsider. Whatever ending of K1 you choose (s)he just does his/her job without taking much attention to Jedi or Sith.

I like the whole preparing for battle concept, but throw some twists and turns such as fallen jedi/sith in known space. I would prefer to be Revan, but him or the Exile would work. Also throw in some new names, such as Padawan of Bao Dur. Mandalore can be preparing his troops to fight, Bastilla can be a member of the council, and of course Carth preparing the Republic's Navy.

I like the idea of being the padawan of one of the Jedi you trained in K2, and looking for Revan. I don't like the idea of actually being Revan, because I can't see any plausible reason for Revan to be weak again. I also like the idea of Revan and Exile having something important to do with preparing the Republic's defenses.

I'm assuming that if you play as a new character you would be searching for Revan or the Unknown Regions?

Why do you assume this? The ones who know where Revan went have:

- Gone looking for him (Exile, DS Bastila)

- Stayed behind waiting (LS Bastila, Carth, Mandalore)

So a new player would most likely have no information whatsoever about where Revan went, so why would you go looking for someone you know nothing about?

I don't get the whole "Let's play as a new character! You can't be Revan or Exile because you've already leveled them up!"

So what!?

It makes the game uninteresting, imo, and doesn't fit with the idea of an RPG. One of the best features of KotOR is to make your character from scratch. Starting with Revan / Exile means that you'd be at level 20ish, with a buckload of Force powers, determined alignment, equipment, etc. It'd ruin the game right from the beginning, imo.

why would the new council send some no-face Jedi to look for someone who's made clear he doesn't want to be followed?

There are other alternatives for the plot. You don't have to stick with either being Revan or being looking for Revan...

There's no way I'm playing another game where I have to find all the crap I found in the last game

But you can just skip all the old information if you want, just like in KotOR II. The game doesn't have to focus about what happened in the previous games, but rather the consequences said actions had.

It makes the game uninteresting, imo, and doesn't fit with the idea of an RPG. One of the best features of KotOR is to make your character from scratch. Starting with Revan / Exile means that you'd be at level 20ish, with a buckload of Force powers, determined alignment, equipment, etc. It'd ruin the game right from the beginning, imo.

I agree that both characters have been developed up a bit too far to be re-usable in a sequel as main player character in the KOTOR games.

However, in general playing the same character across multiple games in an RPG series does not have to be a bad thing. The Baldur's Gate series is an example of that, where you play up to level 5 in BG1 and up to level 6 in the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. Then in Baldurs Gate II you play as the same character, starting at level 6, and play up to around level 20, where you continue in the Throne of Bhaal expansion which finishes the whole saga.

There are other alternatives for the plot. You don't have to stick with either being Revan or being looking for Revan...

I'm not sure the next game would take place in the "Unknown Regions" of the "True Sith" either. Wouldn't be much of an RPG to dump you in thoroughly hostile territory where you had to fight everyone. :)

It could, for example, focus on the period of rebuilding the Jedi Order from its shattered pieces following the events on Malachor.

stoffe: So you think it won't necessarily stop at a trilogy then?

Chris Avellone - the lead on TSL - said that he could see it going on until we have a KotOR VI... and knowing what he's like he's probably planned them all in advance. It's on the Obsidian forums somewhere... in one of Avellone's "Designer Ramblings" threads :).

I can't find it just at the moment.

Care to explain what you would do in KOTOR III besides going to the Unknown Regions or looking for Revan if you played as a new Jedi? Because if you are not doing one of those two things, then it's not really a sequel to either of the previous games at all. A game titled "KOTOR III" by definition would imply that you continue the story in some form of the previous two games.

_Max

Care to explain what you would do in KOTOR III besides going to the Unknown Regions or looking for Revan if you played as a new Jedi?

Prepare the Republic for the invasion, for example

Because if you are not doing one of those two things, then it's not really a sequel to either of the previous games at all

Why not?

So what do you do? Prepare how? What invasion?

I was under the impression that the True Sith operated underground, from the Unknown Regions. Otherwise, what's the point of Revan and Exile searching for them if they weren't in hiding? I mean, when did Kreia said they were preparing for invasion? I'm not being smart-alecy, I'm actually asking if she did.

Anyway... it could work, maybe, but it would certainly be a far cry from being in the action with Revan and/or Exile. I figure, if it's all going down anyway, why not be in the best part of it. Playing as a new Jedi preparing for an invasion would be like you playing as Carth Onasi preparing the Republic. Why be one of the assemblers when you could be the guy who actually "fires the shot heard around the universe (Revan/Exile)?"

_Max

I like the idea of being the padawan of one of the Jedi you trained in K2, and looking for Revan. I don't like the idea of actually being Revan, because I can't see any plausible reason for Revan to be weak again. I also like the idea of Revan and Exile having something important to do with preparing the Republic's defenses.

That's a very good point. However I would like an appearance by the ghost of Ulic Qel-Droma, he became one with the force so he could appear anywhere.

Edit: There could be 2 main stories in Kotor 2. One being a new Padawan dealing with other problems in the galaxy, then eventually helping out the Exile and Revan.

Although I would really love to be Revan again.

• 1 month later...

Another thing from K1. During Revan's training, 3 masters on the dantooine council who are not Revan's direct master and each of the first two games seems to gear towards a particular jedi master coming to the rescue n the same manner as a jedi of a particular class.

K1 - Master Vandar leads the Old Republic fleet in a frontal assault a la Jedi guardian or weapon master.

K2 - Master Vrook seeks to draw the sith out like a Jedi Sentinal.

If this is a genuine typology, then the pattern would call for Master Dorak to actually be alive and to save the day by doing something that exemplifies the consulars and Jedi Master class and use of the force in K3. It's simple foreshadowing and pretty straightforward of what you could expect in a trilogy. Of course if it's not a trilogy...

Archived