Home

Dark Forces Mod?

Ack

I don't really know how this place turned out to be about everything but the beloved mod it is based on, but how is the second (and now painfully obviously the last) demo going? I thought it was close to finished? If you wrap it up, you can officially close the mod if needed, but I just want to hear something from you guys! You still kick the major ass and have still released the best mod (quality-wise) ever.

By the way, (I know I'm both double-posting and OT'ing myself but) does anyone have a picture of the "Ewok's Suck" easter egg? Seems the one picture I found earlier on the web has imploded and is now nowhere to be found...

Thanks in advance.

Well, it's a shame the project is ending (with less than half the maps done), but the team is doing the right thing by releasing all the in-progress assets!

I think the first thing that should be done by any would-be "continuers" of the project to re-spark interest is to create a "Multiplayer pack."

That's right, using the released assets, retool them for basic online play, and throw together a handful of Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch and possibly CTF levels.

When you think about it, all that is really new in this pack for that is the new set of weapons. The gameplay is still vanilla JA (full force and sabers would be unchanged, you just have new stuff for NF gameplay), so it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Obviously making maps takes time, and simply converting the SP maps to MP would be silly. But some simplified MP maps could be created based on the "spirit" of the SP adventure. So a "secret base" style DM map, a "Jabba's ship" style DM map, etc.

Basically what you'd end up with is a guns mod + new models, skins and sounds. Would be cool! It would let us finally relive our fantasies of multiplayer Dark Forces from back in the day, but with modern (relatively) graphics!

The SP project will surely take a long time. It need not take 1 year per map (as it did with this one) but I'd sooner see a multiplayer pack of this mod than a full complete SP TC (though interest generated from a MP release would spur that I think).

And in keeping the MP and SP components as seperate downloads, people wouldn't have to download a huge CD sized mod in order to play online.

Sadly, as a grad student who works part time, I simply don't have the time to work on an awesome project like this (and I never really did get into JO/JA editing though I planned to way back in the day, though it's never too late to learn, it's not as if a new Jedi Game is on the horizon for the PC anytime soon).

Best of luck to the team on releasing their "final" demo, and best of luck to the new developers on this never-ending project! MTFBWY

It is a shame that there will only be 5-6 level demo when they team finishes. But as was stated in a another thread that when people leave and others take their place, they start all over from scratch rather than pick up on the map that the previous guy was working on. I still feel that with all the mods that are being worked on, everyone should band together and just start cranking the mods out. I know how much passion is out there for these mods. And I for one am looking forward to playing them all. So hopefully someone will pick up on the Dark forces mod and carry it on the complete end.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought all they had to do was adding a cutscene or something. Sure takes a long time. I have been waiting for this mod since the 1st announcement. I know i will never see it finished, but I hope I can play this "demo" this year.

I just finished the original darkforces using dosbox and I had a great time. After that I finished Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith and Outcast. After I finish Academy I want to play this.

So........ release it now plz.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it's a shame the project is ending (with less than half the maps done), but the team is doing the right thing by releasing all the in-progress assets!

I think the first thing that should be done by any would-be "continuers" of the project to re-spark interest is to create a "Multiplayer pack."

That's right, using the released assets, retool them for basic online play, and throw together a handful of Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch and possibly CTF levels.

When you think about it, all that is really new in this pack for that is the new set of weapons. The gameplay is still vanilla JA (full force and sabers would be unchanged, you just have new stuff for NF gameplay), so it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Obviously making maps takes time, and simply converting the SP maps to MP would be silly. But some simplified MP maps could be created based on the "spirit" of the SP adventure. So a "secret base" style DM map, a "Jabba's ship" style DM map, etc.

Basically what you'd end up with is a guns mod + new models, skins and sounds. Would be cool! It would let us finally relive our fantasies of multiplayer Dark Forces from back in the day, but with modern (relatively) graphics!

The SP project will surely take a long time. It need not take 1 year per map (as it did with this one) but I'd sooner see a multiplayer pack of this mod than a full complete SP TC (though interest generated from a MP release would spur that I think).

And in keeping the MP and SP components as seperate downloads, people wouldn't have to download a huge CD sized mod in order to play online.

Sadly, as a grad student who works part time, I simply don't have the time to work on an awesome project like this (and I never really did get into JO/JA editing though I planned to way back in the day, though it's never too late to learn, it's not as if a new Jedi Game is on the horizon for the PC anytime soon).

Best of luck to the team on releasing their "final" demo, and best of luck to the new developers on this never-ending project! MTFBWY

That sounds like a really great idea. I've been bogged down with university, especially in the last two weeks since I'm in the process of changing my major and preparing for a BFA presentation mid-November. So it's slow going on the DFMod demo. I am making some good progress on detention while trying to catch up on DF2Mod.

Archived