Home

Sith evil?

Dessel001

Are the sith really evil? Sure they respect strength and sometimes they

are cruel and merciless but sometimes you just have to look at it from a point

view of someone else. Lets say in the star wars universe you were born in

a core world. Your family consists of senators and you live being raised and told to always be kind and gentle and try to resolve conflict without violence.

You respect jedi and their teachings and are always told of their wisdom and

how they let go of emotion.

Now lets reverse that and say you were born on an outer rim planet. Your

mother was killed before you were born and your father is a bloodthirsty mercenary who hates you. You are a slave who has always had to fend for himself and embrace your rage and emotion to even survive. All this has made you strong and a loner. This scenario is opposite from the previous one

in that you are all alone, never with any help always having to fight to survive.

This very idea of changing the place you were born having such a motive change that if you were in the second scenario the sith would be like heroes to you. The key difference is childhood, in that if you grew up always fighting

of course you would respect stength and of course you would be merciless.

Morals is what decides what side your on but if you grew up like the second scenario you wouldn't really have time for morals would you? This is why I don't think sith are evil if you simply change ideals and birth place it completely changes the moral descisions you would make.

Basicly growing up in such a hostile enviroment would seem to justify what

you do. If you always have to fend for your self and always fight then the jedi

and the republic become evil and you become the ones who are merely doing what you have done your whole life.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the Sith are evil. George Lucas says so. Even the Twi'lek at the Sith Acadmey in K1 says so.

"If valuing strength is evil, then yes, we are evil."

And yes, most people consider the valuing of strength and gaining strength through use of the Dark Side, as evil.

Doesn't mean however that they aren't "right", or that they really are better than the Jedi. They just are evil. And yeah, you do have to view it from the point of view of someone else. And yeah, their ideology might make more sense than the Jedi. But they're still evil.

Just because you were born in a bad environment, doesn't mean that it makes your crimes any less evil.

Personally, I always thought of the 2 sides as a little over the edge. George Lucas made both, the Jedi and the Sith, a little too extreme to be believable I think.

At least the Sith are honest about their motives. The Jedi always say its for the general good, but in the end it always comes back to the Jedi and the Sith having a religious war with each other, and they drag the whole rest of the galaxy down with them. So I don't think the Jedi are any better than the Sith.

There has to be good for evil to exist … it’s a balance … I believe in the Jedi’s but if we study well as Darth Sidious said … Evil and good is only a point of view … So it really something un explainable and something that will not have a answer.

where you were born & childhood at the end of the day has nothing to do with it .When it comes down to it it is the person's desicion to decide their fate.Do I view the Sith as truly evil...no. Only a few Sith take it to far ( Malak in particular). You need the balance of good & evil. If one starts to dominate the other ,then the other should fight back.Revan saw the needed balance as does Caedus ( to a point).Jedi and Sith are different than regular humans do to the fact they have special powers ( the Force) so they need to control themselves , like their emotions, because if they don't then they can do far greater damage to the galaxy than any human, twilek,etc. ever could.Even Kreia saw that.

There has to be good for evil to exist … it’s a balance … I believe in the Jedi’s but if we study well as Darth Sidious said … Evil and good is only a point of view …

Says the guy who started a war which killed thousands, exterminated pretty much a entire religious order simply because they probably wouldn't have accepted his control, and had no problem backstabbing his apprentices.

And seeing as how to restore balance to the Force Anakin had to DESTROY THE SITH I fail to see how Good and Evil would have to be balanced in the SWU.Sounds pretty unbalanced to me.

Canonically, Darth Vader restored balance by murdering Palpatine and dying.

To George Lucas, balance means "Kill Off All Sith!" That's the only thing that matters.

And George Lucas is right (not only becouse he decides what is canon ;) ).

Jedi try to 'serve the Force' and Sith try to rule the Force. Can you imagine balance with many Sith (or even not so many) when every one of them want to rule, to gain power, to 'bend the Force to his (her) will'? I can't. The Sith are the ones who unbalance the Galaxy, they want to hold too many power in ones hands. I don't see balance betwen good and evil in SW universe becouse Sith will always try to change the situation to theirs desires.

The Jedi in the Movies never did say anything about the "Light Side".They just said bring balance to the Force.

In light of this the whole Balance to the Force thing makes alot more sense.

Imo contrary to what KOTOR says the two different sides of the Force aren't the Light Side and the Dark Side so much as the Natural Force VS The Dark Side aka the unnatural Force. And if the constant failures of the Sith are anything to go by than the two sides of the Force aren't really equal to each other.

Remember, there is a difference between EU and Movie Canon. EU has the regural old LS/DS/Gray Dualism and Kreia.

Movie Canon agrees with what George Lucas says, which is further articluated by what Masgtrgr and Wookiee Rrudolf.

That being said, I hate George Lucas. So I don't actually like his theory in connection. :) And the EU has twisted George Lucas' theory into a huge mockery, with the Gray Jedi, Kreia, and the rise of the Brand New Empire. But he does make canon.

There has to be good for evil to exist … it’s a balance … I believe in the Jedi’s but if we study well as Darth Sidious said … Evil and good is only a point of view … So it really something un explainable and something that will not have a answer.

It is not about if you are on Good or Evil side. It's about which side you face. And while it's hard to name one Good Guy who fought with Good Guys (in our world that won't sell...), it is easy to name two Guys Who Stand on Evil side who fought with Evil: Darth Vader (he was doing things that won't gave him Good Guy, but he was the one to get Emperor) and Frank "The Punisher" Castle (with his methods in KotOR he wouldn't have blue background, right?).

If you are wondering whether someone can be conditioned to believe that to do evil is 'right', then yes, it is possible. But this 'right' would not be equal to 'good'. The 'right' in this case is specific to the order of that society. Even if you are enslaved to the values of your society, does not mean you are incapable of believing in something better.

I would say this is similiar to the crusades. The people participating in the crusades did not think they were doing something evil by killing all those people. The opposite is the fact, they were sure it would grant them access to heavan.

Good and Evil is a point of view, and it depends a lot on the situation you are in. Even though it is surprising what kind of view people have sometimes...

I would consider somebody who butchers people up for fun to be evil.

So you consider Han Solo (who goes and gun down people as a bounty hunter), the Rebel troopers in BF2 who seem wanting to kill off "plastic boys", Padmé (who talks of killing Geno's and Droids as being a form of "aggressive negogiations"), and perhaps most Jedi...all as evil? They all have lots of fun doing what they do best, butchering people.

Face it, it's OKAY to butcher stuff up for fun, as long as you are butchering an evil person.

So you consider Han Solo (who goes and gun down people as a bounty hunter), the Rebel troopers in BF2 who seem wanting to kill off "plastic boys", Padmé (who talks of killing Geno's and Droids as being a form of "aggressive negogiations"), and perhaps most Jedi...all as evil? They all have lots of fun doing what they do best, butchering people.

Face it, it's OKAY to butcher stuff up for fun, as long as you are butchering an evil person.

And where is the place for Jedi's 'Don't strike in anger!' line? Bounty hunters may see theirs job as a fun but still they don't kill anyone they see becouse it's fun.

The Sith think about themselves as evil (some may think they do 'greater good' but they agree for evil), kill primairly for fun (like Sith students on Korriban in K1) or to get more power or so others would fear them etc.

The Sith in KotOR I are a little unrealistic though, and they differ a lot from the Sith you see in the movies or the books, or even TSL for that matter. And the Sith do not think of themselves as evil. Palpantin said that the galaxy would finaly have peace now in episode 3...that honestly doesn't sound like an evil motive to me.

btw., I thought of another good example of good and evil being relative. Take Ying and Yang.(That circle thing, you know what I mean). Neither Ying or Yang represent evil or good, they represent the difference of whatever, be it warm/cold, young/old, good/evil, ...

Archived