Home

Swampies assemble! A reccomendation is needed.

The Seeker

I'm getting knee surgery in October so am looking forward to most of the winter out of action, which will free up plenty of time for PC gaming. So, with all this spare time, I figure it's as good a time as any to try out a good MMO.

So, for a veteran gamer, but a newbie to MMOs, what would you recommend? I don't want a chat fest or a community where members are overly touchy and snobbish, but a good solid playing experience. I have a top of the line gaming rig, so the sky's the limit.

Hit me with the goods.

WoW >.> <.<

Seriously, I havn't played many MMOs, but WoW has by far been the easiest to get into, and yet still offers alot of deep strategy. Granted I only played Everquest for like 5 seconds at a friends house, and then Anarchy Online for a few weeks, but both of them were practically impossible to solo. WoW however is extremely solo-able (I'm at 45 after 3 months, and that's almost all solo quests, with only like 3 dungeon runs, and about 2 dozen group quests. Plus, you do get WoW and get on the same realm as me and ET, we can hook you up :xp:

The only mmos I've played are Galaxies and WoW. I definitely don't recommend Galaxies, I don't know how much its changed but a couple years ago when I tried it, it was no good. I currently play WoW and while I feel I'm not "addicted" like most people get, it is the game I play the most and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I wouldn't suggest an MMO, personally. If you have the power, you should ask someone to get you one of the awesome games coming out in the following months (UT3, Gears of War, Crysis, BioShock (already out!), Brothers in Arms 3, Call of Duty 4, Medal of Honor: Airborne and so on). You will go missing like leXXy if you choose otherwise. :(

As for MMOs, I know that WoW is at top, no competition. Guild Wars is also a decent game, if some of my friends are right, but WoW is your best bet.

First of all, get Crysis (november 16th). Then, if you haven't yet played Half-life 2, get orange box (october 9th).

As for MMOs, I'm personally not a fan, but Guild Wars was pretty darn cool while the adventure lasted. In fact, I'm tempted to boot it up for the new expansion.

As for MMOs, I'm personally not a fan, but Guild Wars was pretty darn cool while the adventure lasted. In fact, I'm tempted to boot it up for the new expansion.
I play Guild Wars, and I agree with IG. Pretty fun game. However a couple of points probably need to be made:

* People you meet randomly are idiots, and for the most part have no idea how to play well. If you're interested in getting through something fast, then either use the NPC henchmen or take friends/guild members. I don't know if this is a big problem in other MMOs, but it seems that since every 10y/o can buy it the average intelligence is rather low.

* Because of the above, most reasonably good people play with henchmen if they don't have their friends/guildies. Don't expect to say "LFP!! X Quest!" and get a decent group without some work.

* Guild Wars is a team game. If you want to solo, don't expect to get very far. While there are some solo quests, particularly in the new expansion, they don't really advance the story.

If you decide to get it, give me a PM ingame: "Albino Dwarfboy".

Yeah well the alliance has that reputation because all the young kids that play do alliance but if you can find a good guild and get away from that then its definitely worth it. I just like the ally races in general better than horde.

Horde ftw.

Seriously, I've played me a few MMO's, but nothing really compares to WoW. It is inordinately fun, there are so many different aspects to the game that I haven't lost interest at ALL in the year I've been playing it, and as Bongo said, join Stormscale server and play as horde and you'll be able to petition us for help whenever we're on :)

I would recommend getting an Xbox 360 as well. And like Tyrion said, there are quite a few excellent-looking games coming out soon. Like Mass Effect (November 20th), Assassin's Creed (November), and Call of Duty 4 (November), just name a few. As well as some great games that are already out like BioShock, Gears of War, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

If you don't want an Xbox 360, the only game that interests me at the moment for the PC is Crysis.

Yeah, I'm definately looking forward to Assassins creed and CoD4. I played the Bioshock demo, and didn't really like it, so I'm passing on that. And to Rhett, over the past 5-6 years, I've played pretty much exclusively FPS. Sure I play the Splinter Cell and Hitman series religiously pick up the occasional RPG or RTS and have logged unholy hours in Oblivion, but FPS is my standby. I've just never played a MMO, so I figured now's as good a time as any.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Looks like WoW is winning, but keep 'em coming.

Listen to leXXy, she knows firsthand the evils of WoW.

Add another vote for Guild Wars here. It was my first MMO experience and I'm still very active in it even today. It's free to play (after buying the actual game), so you don't feel like you have to constantly play to get your money's worth. And if you find the right set of people to play with, it can be very, very enjoyable.

I'd recommend starting off with Nightfall, since you can acquire heroes, who make the game easier and give you a level of customization. If you do decide to get it, let us know and I'm sure that those of us who play will be more than willing to lend you a hand. :)

Archived