Home

Swampies assemble! A reccomendation is needed.

The Seeker

Well, I personally wouldn't go with WoW, it'd make a great amount of time that could be used for all kinds of things all used on one... as in it's a time sucker.

But... You ever played Sims 2? If you're one of those kinds you'll probably play for hours straight for a few weeks. You could get The Sims 2 Deluxe (comes with night life) for around $30 at any store. And if you feel like getting expansion packs, Seasons would probably be the only "must have" expansion, though I have every single one (my sister is a Sims freak).

But I may be biased, as I got The Sims 1 many moons ago the first week it came out. Ahh, the memories...

WoW is not addictive. People with addictive personalities get addicted to WoW. Just look at all the people on here going on about Guild Wars and the like, clearly, and I can speak from second-hand experience (I haven't played much due to time constrains, but virtually all of my close friends play it), GW can be a very addicting game. Not to say it isn't fun, but just be warned.

Basically, don't play an MMO unless you know you can handle it, I know I can :p

Oh, and if you decide to start watching Anime, I'd suggest Death Note. That's top notch stuff right there.

World of Warcraft has a very good combat system, and has plenty to offer end-game wise. Raiding has been one of, if not the best of game moments I have experienced. I took another break now, but I feel those 2800 hours-ish I have spent on it aren't gone to waste. I might change my mind in a year or 5 orso, who knows.

However, I was quite surprised when I tried out Lord of the Rings: Online a while ago. It is vastly superior to questing in WoW in various aspects. It has a strong focus on exploring, stories - and not just silly grind. It sheds light on how an MMO should be. I strongly suggest you try the 7day trial with a few friends and just have fun. While in WoW it is racing for the next level to reach the cap, you actually feel more relaxed and have more incentive to follow the storyline and explore the deeds.

I've heard that LotRO is very good but I never thought to try it because theres only 1 faction. I have no plans of taking it up but maybe I'll give the trial a run. I'm still playing WoW but not as much now that school has started.

Indeed. After playing though you'll notice some brilliant implementations that fit game-wise, while staying as true to the lore as possible. That is why you can't have elves/dwarves/humans/hobbits fighting another faction in PvP composed of the same races. For that, everyone can make a monster character and play as a spider etc. Incidentally, that also opens up 'end-game' PvP for low-lvl players. I haven't really tried PvP though, I assume it will be less suspenseful as WoW where there are more abilities usable 'while moving', and a larger repertoire of spells.

WoW is very cheap nowadays (you don't pay anything for the game anymore, €13/15 and you can get started) but to truly enjoy WoW you'll have to invest a lot of time in it. Not saying that the questing is bad, WoW was a success for a good reason. My advise for those who want to experience the genre would be to give both trials a shot.

All good MMOs have trials, it never hurts to try them out first before you buy the game and continue with that same character. The only thing you won't get is probably trading features with other players, which you won't really need.

Back to my cave.

Archived