Home

Please dont let the DF MOD die!

KyleKatarn

I give uber kudos to those who have the skills to make the mod happen. DF is an awesome game and playing it with new visuals is amazing. I hope those working on it dont lose interest and move on. No matter how long it takes, I would love, and so do many other fans, to see it completely done. Cant wait.

• 1 month later...

Are you expressing interest in continuing it? ;)

Actually, I'm not aware of anything else that needs to be done to release the demo, so once detention is uploaded and everything's beta-tested (detention is done as of my last posting a minute ago, so assuming there are no major bugs we should be moving on to the testing phase) the demo should be out. I'd venture an estimate that'd be by the end of the year, before Christmas.

As for the assets, I'm not sure what Darth plans to do. Last I heard the assets were going to be released once the demo is done, which makes sense since we're still planning to finish it, and there's not much point in releasing unfinished materials and then the finished product (or part of it, technically). It wouldn't reflect too well on the unfinished demo maps if there are major bugs we still need to corrected or major changes from the previous versions. I'm not saying it's an infinitely better reflection for it to be taking us so long to complete but that's life. It gets in the way and, being understaffed as we are, it doesn't help speed things up any.

That said, how the project will continue is entirely up in the air. I plan to keep working on maps even after the demo is done, though it would be in extremely limited capacity due to my increased workload from school and Jedispy expressed interest in continuing the project with the SotE team, which would probably be the mod's best prospect for getting done rather than letting a few unexperienced amateurs or one or two overworked blokes (like myself) take the next ten years to finish. ;) I'd talk to him if you really want to see something significant get done, though I'll be doing the same thing myself once the demo wraps.

well, after talking with the senior members of the team, I have decided it's in the best interest of everyone (including readers of this forum) to go ahead and release what we have.

It's not going to be the polished, "perfect" 6 level demo I wanted to release, but some of our team members are having serious health issues, family issues, and then the rest of us just plain have real life to deal with.

I'll be releasing two packages. The first is the 6 level demo as it now stands. It's completely playable and 99% done. There are some cutscenes that are either missing or include "placeholder" animations that are just not going to get done. there are also some longstanding bugs that we cannot fix - Kyle has the lightsaber available as a weapon on a couple of levels. Anyway, little stuff like that.

The second package will be "extras" - uncompiled maps, reference artwork, instructions, collections of textures for incomplete maps, extra music, some storyboards, stuff like that. It's all stuff I've compiled over the years to help finish the mod or provide insight into our design process.

I'm waiting on the mappers to send me all of their uncompiled map files and then I'll be able to release. Stay tuned here for the announcement.

thanks for your continued support!

D_L

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope someone takes on the mod. I've been following this mod before its jedi outcast mod demo.

Its sad to see yet another mod team go.... PLEASE DONT!!!!

I had never played the original Dark Forces mod, so I was hoping this would have been a good way to see that story, since it is almost impossible to find in stores, or even get it to run on xp.

What ever happened to the Jedi Knight remake mod?

Well, you have to do what you got to do, when do you think you will release the final demo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DarkForces MOD team, I salute you for your dedicaton to this mod for many years, when the first demo came out it was the best mod for Jedi Outcast period, I looked forward to re-experiencing the whole Dark Forces game in this new way, but 6 levels is still a lot for a fan project and I really appreciate all of the months/years of work you put into this. I only hope that if a different team takes upon themselves the task of continuing this mod they can do as a wonderful job as what you did, again thanks for your hard-work, I will be looking forward to what you have for release.

It's been a good ride. I'm sorry if you guys have to give up after the 6 level version.

I look forward to seeing the results. And I wish you all well in whatever you do beyond this.

Modding is hard. I've been watching from the spot of beta tester, on another mod.

It's a pain in the butt, and the only reward is people hounding for it to get done.

(Project is the KotOR II Restoration Project for me, for note) It's taken a couple long years or so for that to get done, but it's closer than ever.

But I see how long and stressful it is. Thanks for hanging in as long as you have.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me tell you one thing, the dark trooper MKI you see in the screen shots, not even CLOSE to what is looks like now, not even close!

They did such a top notch job with this mod i am blown away.

WARNING!*SPOILER QUESTION!*!WARNING

What i am woundering is why the dark troop is holding a light saber, and doesn't move.

I activated/deactivated no target so thats not it.

Let me tell you one thing, the dark trooper MKI you see in the screen shots, not even CLOSE to what is looks like now, not even close!

They did such a top notch job with this mod i am blown away.

WARNING!*SPOILER QUESTION!*!WARNING

What i am woundering is why the dark troop is holding a light saber, and doesn't move.

I activated/deactivated no target so thats not it.

did you delete the "text.pk3" file in the release? I'm 99% sure that it contains an older version of a script that contains that error.

Nope.i did not, and i found out the reason he did not activate, was simply the fact i hadnt placed the bomb in the center area yet, once done, it kicked into intro and up he came.

Whats odd, is if i run around before, i can see him just standing there, spooky.

All in all i think he is top notch.

Only problem i think is he moves way to much like a jedi, recommend using the AI from those three eyes aliens,that can* run up and punch you. "and they use the thermal nades"

They might be more to the older game ai "gameplay style" and the "ubberized metalic jedi" it is now, im a good shot, and i spend 3/4th my ammo hitting him, imagine having more than one* in a level, omg...not death...... fustration.

I also stood there while it danced around me inflicting minor damage, i killed it out of "okay..thats enough" ;)

Just an idea ;)

Archived