Home

3D Acceleration Crashes Game

StaffSaberist

I decided to do some retro-gaming today, taking advantage of being home sick, but I ended up doing more debugging than playing. And I still can't get it.

It seems that any time I turn on 3D Accel for 16-bit textures, the game crashes as soon as I try to return to game/load a level. I've tried all resolutions, the "buffer in memory" option, and all that, and none work with 3D on. I need this on for JK to look normal - otherwise, really kick-butt levels like Spiral's "Haven" levels look all fruity and pixelated. I've also tried using Compatibility Mode with no luck. Is my PC too good for retro nowadays?

Everything related to performance:

nVidia e-GeForce 7800

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

3 GB DDR Memory

I'm thinking it may be the GPU, since I upgraded from the 6600 not too long ago. This is a depressing thought: I may not be able to JK anymore! Anyone know of a fix for this?

Hey!

look, i play JK in a really old comp, so i never even tryed to set things to make it run in a new comp... but i know people who figured out how to make it work in the most modern comps out there (with win vista and all)

so i know it can be done... but idk how... (i'll see if i can get some of these guys to help you out)

Hey have you tried disabling the aiming crosshair? I had the exact same prob as you. Modern gear and all. I tried everything I could think of, then I turned off the crosshair and the game runs fine. Problem now is I can't aim well at distant objects! (but that could just be me....)

Thanks. Stumbled on it by total accident. I'm trying to remember back to when this game first came out. Wasn't the crosshair really clean and defined? Almost like a vector effect rather than being a sprite overlayed on the HUD.... Maybe I'm way off, and it still doesn't explain why it would kill the game...Baffling.

Anyone ???

I'm no expert, but my guess is, that in 3D Accel mode, they used some call or function in the old version of DirectX to draw the crosshair with transparency, and then in subsequent DirectX versions, what they used was phased out, so now that you have DirectX 9.0c or w/e, it tries to call the old function which throws some exception and the engine quits.

Archived