Home

"The Witcher" by CD Projekt

Char Ell

I see. You're talking about not harvesting potion ingredients from plants only. I guess I get that skill so early in Chapter 1 that I forget about it. Interesting. So with those sidequests that require plant extracts (e.g. white myrtle for Abigail in Chapter 1 and celandine for Shani in Chapter 2) do you just skip those?

EDIT: This subject got me to thinking. I feel the same way about the Bomb Preparation skill as Achilles does about Herbalism. Does anybody use the bombs featured in this game and like them because I haven't used bombs at all in The Witcher.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I just spent a silver talent for bomb preparation (unfortunately I have no recipes yet :xp:). I think I only used a bomb maybe twice in my first playthrough. This time though I'm hoping it will help ween me off of using Aard.

So with those sidequests that require plant extracts (e.g. white myrtle for Abigail in Chapter 1 and celandine for Shani in Chapter 2) do you just skip those?
The Vizemian Herbalist sells white myrtle in bunches of five and both the gardener and the herbalist sell celandine.

Getting fool's parsley for Carmen is a pain (quest: Beauty and the Beast), as only the elder druid sells it (and he only sells one piece at time). You can rest for day and then purchase another piece, you can fail the quest, or you can simply not get it in the first place.

EDIT: This subject got me to thinking. I feel the same way about the Bomb Preparation skill as Achilles does about Herbalism. Does anybody use the bombs featured in this game and like them because I haven't used bombs at all in The Witcher.
Yeah, bombs do kinda seems like a waste. Interestingly, at lot of the skills seems to be redundant with potions (why burn a silver skill point to increase your chance to avoid Knockdown by 50% when you can just drink Willow and be immune for the duration of whatever fight you're worried about? Et cetera).

Also, I really like the sharpening stones but I don't care much for oils (ugly and they stay on your blade for a day :()

Then again, I'm to the point where there are only 3 or 4 potions I really ever use anyway. Stacking secondary properties really makes some of the other potions redundant as well.

This time though I'm hoping it will help ween me off of using Aard.
hehe, screw Aard, I'm addicted to Yrden :) I beat the Koshchey without drawing a weapon in my last playthrough :D

Quen makes the striga "fight" pretty simple too.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my copy of the echanced verison. money problems... Anyway I'm enjoying it so far. My question is. I recused the waitress from the inn in chapter 1. I ecsorted her home. I choose to meet her again. But I didn'yt save it before meditated. and until after dark. the next day but i went to mill and it was locked i did kill Nadir or whatever ghoul name was. did i screw up?

If it's the right time to meet her, she'll be standing outside the mill. You don't have to go inside. So just try going back the next day at ~11pm to see if she's there.

Thank you I finally got her to show. I have to addirional question now. According my journal I the petals needed for Alvin from a Merchant in the inn is that true? Which I cann't them. If i start a new game will saved games from show up like in je?

I guess the existing Witcher thread wasn't good enough :(

If you have Herbalism and know about White Myrtle Petals (via books, etc), then all you have to do is gather 5. If you've opted not to spend a Bronze skill point on Herbalism (my new default mode of play), or if you haven't purchased the book discussing White Myrtle Petals, you can buy them from the Viziman Herbalist (a merchant) camped outside the inn (in the "courtyard" area).

Agreed. Merged threads :) - Cz

Just finished the Enhanced Edition and I must say this is one very cool game. All those interesting satires about things from real life, the story, the fact that it took me more than a week to finish it and pretty much everything else made me love this game. I'm leaving the two adventures for the following days. Oh, and the revelation on the Grand Master's corpse was really something. :D

@dewayne26: Of course you can get both them and Granny's diary. All those items will be somewhere on the ground floor of Shani's house and you can get them at any time, once you've finished that annoying entrance sequence with Granny.

Just finished the Enhanced Edition and I must say this is one very cool game. All those interesting satires about things from real life, the story, the fact that it took me more than a week to finish it and pretty much everything else made me love this game. I'm leaving the two adventures for the following days. Oh, and the revelation on the Grand Master's corpse was really something. :D

@dewayne26: Of course you can get both them and Granny's diary. All those items will be somewhere on the ground floor of Shani's house and you can get them at any time, once you've finished that annoying entrance sequence with Granny.

Thanks Once final question and it more a order thing. I'm down to the quests in the swamp. I talked kalkstien bout the golem in the process of placing the sarphires. I was wondering it the fight when i come out of the tower the end of the chapter?

When you are about to leave the area forever they will warn you to finish up all your unfinished quests, so no worry yet.

Im pretty annoyed at the game at the moment, it's very good but now when im nearing the end (Are in the final chapter) the game have become unstable as hell, evrytime i reload or die the game crashes. If i alt-tab it crashes, and i usally alt-tab when i need to take a break

When you are about to leave the area forever they will warn you to finish up all your unfinished quests, so no worry yet.

Im pretty annoyed at the game at the moment, it's very good but now when im nearing the end (Are in the final chapter) the game have become unstable as hell, evrytime i reload or die the game crashes. If i alt-tab it crashes, and i usally alt-tab when i need to take a break

Yea.. Mine crashes every once in awhile mostly right when i get done with combat. I'm taking a break now cause I'm working The Source and don't know who i want Shani or Triss. I'm leaning toward triss. Why couldn't they give Abigail that would solve my issue:P

• 1 month later...

I'm starting over taking my time in each chapter to make sure i do everything i can. But I have a sword question. I have enough to get a sword forged and merecite too. i'm nearly at the end of the chapter. I should i have it forged now or waitunit i hit vizmia to have it forged

My strategy for upgrading my steel sword is as follows:

I go for the sword with three red meteorites since it seems to offer the highest damage bonus you can get at that point in the game and also has a nice bleeding bonus as well. I get the three red meteorites.

Meteorite #1: obtained in the prologue. You must choose to fight the frightener in order to get this option. You must talk to Vesemir in the hall after defeating the frightener and before you tell Triss you're ready to talk to the others. I don't recall the exact dialogue option but if you go through all of those available then eventually you'll find the one that triggers Vesemir giving it to you.

Meteorite #2: obtained in a chest in the crypt in the same room where the named alghoul is at.

Meteorite #3: obtained by looting the remains of Leo's ghost in the basement of the Reverend's house.

If you focus on the corresponding quests for these objectives you can get your three meteorite steel sword about halfway through chapter 1.

• 7 months later...

Source

CDProjekt Red, the Ridley Scotts that they are, have announced the release date for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition: Director's Cut, which will allow gamers with North American editions to "experience the award-winning RPG as the developers originally envisioned", as being in 31st July. As ever with The Witcher, the new edition will be available as a free download for those with any other versions of the game.

The Witcher forums give this overview:

[Pavlos: Edited for formatting only]

CD Projekt RED is excited to announce the upcoming release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut, allowing gamers in North America to experience the award-winning RPG as the developers originally envisioned. The Director’s Cut is set for release as both a free update for existing owners of the North American version of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and as a stand-alone product at various digital distributors.

• What is The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?
    The Director’s Cut is the version of the game our developers originally intended for you to play. It is essentially the same game that gamers around the world have experienced – now available legitimately for the first time in North America.
  • Where will The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut be available?
    The Director’s Cut update will be available from TheWitcher.com and all applicable digital distributors in North America, including Steam, Impulse and Direct2Drive. We will announce the release date in the coming days, but as of that date, people who buy The Witcher: Enhanced Edition from digital distributors will be purchasing the Director’s Cut, as it will replace the existing Enhanced Edition on those sites.
  • Will The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut obtained from digital distribution contain 1.5 patch features (i.e. additional adventures)?
    Yes, Director’s Cut version of the game will have all features of patch 1.5.
  • Do I need The Witcher: Enhanced Edition to get the Director’s Cut?
    If you want to just install the patch to get the Director’s Cut content, then you do need The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. If you’re just buying The Witcher for the first time (or feel like buying it again!) then you can just purchase the product via Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive, etc. as they will offer the Director’s Cut as a full product already patched to the latest version.
  • I don’t live in North America or I imported a copy of the game from outside of North America. Should I get the Director’s Cut?
    You really already have the Director’s Cut if you have the international edition of the game and have installed the 1.5 patch!
  • What is the age rating of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?
    The Director’s Cut has received an M rating from the ESRB, with Blood and Gore, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content and Violence.

Archived