Home

Force Unleashed CONFIRMED For Wii

Jeff

The Force to be Unleashed on Wii in Spring 08

In a surprise move today, LucasArts has officially announced that The Force Unleashed will appear on the Nintendo Wii in Spring of 2008. The Wii version is to be developed by Australia’s Krome Studios, a successful independent developer who was already developing the PSP and PS2 versions of the game.

Players will wield the Wii remote as a lightsaber while controlling force powers with the nunchuck. An exclusive duel mode will also be available on the Wii version, allowing players to clash head-to-head in epic lightsaber battles.

“Wii is a great platform for The Force Unleashed, because the console’s motion-oriented controllers really bring the game to life,” said Jim Ward, the president of LucasArts. “We’ve worked hard to make the Wii version of the game unique in order to truly let you unleash the Force.”

Exciting news! I never saw this coming and am truly ecstatic as both a Star Wars fan and a Wii owner.

zomg. We have a Wii, i get to play Unleashed :D

I don't know how good the graphic is on a Wii, but can it handle it like the other console can ?

The graphics won't be in HD like they will be on the other consoles but I'm guessing the game will still look pretty good. Since Krome is developing it, it will probably be more similar to the PS2 version than the Xbox and PS3 versions in terms of graphics. I'm just guessing though.

It'll be a port of PS2 version, which is already a dumbed down port of the real version. Since Krome is making so many varying versions of the game, I doubt they'll have time to focus on the Wii specifically, meaning the motion control (which will be the entire appeal of that version) won't be all that great. (Krome has only ever made one other Wii title and it's not even out yet, so they don't even have that much experience with the system). Port of port with tacked on motion controls = very meh.

Basically, even if I did have a Wii, I wouldn't be too excited about this announcement. Nevertheless, I guess it will still be pretty cool, especially the new duel mode. I just hope this doesn't dissuade Lucasarts from making a legitimate, good, one to one control Lightsaber game in the immediate future.

This just adds to the unbelievability of LA's bull**** excuse that PCs couldn't handle TFU. I doubt that Wiis are any more powerful than a good gaming PC.

The Wii is getting the same dumbed down port the PS2 is. There's no question whether a PC can handle THAT version, and even the real version could run on high end PCs. I don't think that's the reason that TFU isn't coming out for PC, because like you say, that's ridiculous. Give me a quote of an official statement that PC's couldn't handle TFU before you claim bull****.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line LA did say something about not enough PCs having the minimum specs to make it worth doing a PC version, but I can't remember and can't find the source of that. So I don't want to be spreading rumors, but thats what I remember.

Well, any reasonable PC would be able to handle the neutered PS2 version with relative ease.

But yes by making this factor uncertain they might be able to sell some more of those PS2 versions before the PC version is out.

Remember, people with a PS2 version may get a PC version too for mods and what not like multi-player, but the other way round is not true.

Well, any reasonable PC would be able to handle the neutered PS2 version with relative ease.

But yes by making this factor uncertain they might be able to sell some more of those PS2 versions before the PC version is out.

Remember, people with a PS2 version may get a PC version too for mods and what not like multi-player, but the other way round is not true.

Very true, look at Bioware games for example...Jade Empire was out for cr*pBox first, but then they released a Special Edition for PC, now I think there's probably more than a few people who had it on XBox that bought it for PC as well, if not only for the extra content.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line LA did say something about not enough PCs having the minimum specs to make it worth doing a PC version, but I can't remember and can't find the source of that. So I don't want to be spreading rumors, but thats what I remember.
Why don't they just come out and admit that there are not enough PC players to make it worthwhile?

I'll copy what I said in the KotOR forums about this.

Lets look at this for a second before we get too excited.

Follow these steps:

1. Check out what other games Krome studios has been churning out.

2. Look at what other SW titles they're working on and, more importantly, for what systems.

3. Sob uncontrollably because of the crappy PS2 port we'll be getting of TFU for the Wii.

4. Repeat #3 as needed.

You may essentially right. Anyway, most games (Yeah, M$ and Bioware stuff) always come to PC later.
I don't think you can say that "most" games come out (read ported) for the PC. I would say that it is pretty much a rarity across the board...

Archived