Home

[One-Shot/Drabble] Light Side, Dark Side (includes plagiarism discussion)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star Wars

One-Shot #3 - Light Side, Dark Side

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written: 18th September 2007

Published: 18th September 2007

Updated: -

Last Modified: -

Genre(s): Friendship, Science Fiction

Summary (Continued): Jaden Korr has to make a big decision. Whatever decision he decides to make will ultimately create his future path.

Disclaimer: This one-shot is written for my own purposes, in which it isn’t intended to make any money or claim anything that was originally written.

LucasArts own the Star Wars series and anything else to do with the franchise. I own nothing, except my imagination and anything to do with my imagination.

Author’s Note: It has been a long time, since I’ve played Jedi Academy, but I can remember one particular scene, which made the final part of the game quite good. The part where the player chooses which path Jaden must make. Like my KOTOR one-shot, I decided to novelise this part of the game too. Unlike my previous one-shots, this is shorter than those two (it’s more of a drabble, but I still count it as a one-shot).

Feel free to read and review, praise or criticise, but constructive criticism, if you don’t mind. Thank you and please enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rosh.”

Jaden Korr looked at his best friend, Rosh Penin. Jaden hadn’t seen Rosh for a long time and he had fears that Rosh had been killed long ago.

“Jaden.”

At the sound of Rosh saying Jaden’s name, Jaden began to feel angry at Rosh and activated his lightsaber. An orange blade shone around him and he held his weapon in front of him.

“You don’t look like much of a captive, Rosh,” Jaden told him, “Did you dream this up? Or was it Tavion’s idea?”

Jaden walked over towards Rosh, causing the other man to panic.

“No Jaden wait!” Rosh shouted, “Please, take me back to the Academy, I need help.”

Jaden didn’t care about helping Rosh. Anger was rising within him and he wanted to take his anger out on Rosh, whether he liked it or not.

“Jaden, stay back,” Rosh warned, his voice full of panic.

Jaden ignored Rosh and continued to walk forward.

“Please, don’t hurt me,” Rosh begged, using the Force to push several boxes forward to defend himself.”

“You tried to kill me!” Jaden shouted, “And now you’ve lured me into a trap.”

---------------

“Jaden, don’t do it.”

---------------

Jaden ignored his master’s voice and his anger continued to rise within him.

“Finish him, Jedi!” a voice shouted.

Jaden continued to walk towards Rosh, his lightsaber blade now close to Rosh’s abdomen.

“Wait, listen to what you’re saying!” Rosh advised, continuing to panic, “You’re… you’re angry. Don’t give into it. That leads to the dark side, right?”

Jaden ignored Rosh’s pleaded yet again and grabbed Rosh. As he did so, he heard more voices, both of his master and his enemy.

---------------

“He only fell to the dark side because he was scared, afraid of dying, put away your saber.”

“Strike him down, give into your anger.”

“Jaden, you’re better than that. Don’t give into your anger, Rosh is telling the truth.”

---------------

Jaden decided to put away his lightsaber. But had he made the right choice?

The End

Can you please explain the point of you doing this? Because it seems rather pointless to me. You just ripped off a cut scene from a game and added nothing to it. I mean isn’t it plagiarism when you re-type a pre-existing story told from the exact same point of view without the original author’s permission, which is essentially what you did?

It lacks depth in both story and characters. I know it’s only a fanfic, but it seems to lack both effort and thought. It is as if you played the cut scene in the background and just quickly typed it out. It looks to me like you spent more time on your Author’s Note than the actual story.

Also I know it’s a ‘short-fic’ but honestly I count 333 words and that is, to give my honest opinion, just laziness.

I could go on, but I won’t.

Can you please explain the point of you doing this? Because it seems rather pointless to me. You just ripped off a cut scene from a game and added nothing to it. I mean isn’t it plagiarism when you re-type a pre-existing story told from the exact same point of view without the original author’s permission, which is essentially what you did?

It was rather pointless, I admit it (I blame Writer's Block for this) and I rushed writing it. Since it is plagiarism, I will edit it when I have time and perhaps make this particular one-shot, a bit more interesting.

It lacks depth in both story and characters. I know it’s only a fanfic, but it seems to lack both effort and thought. It is as if you played the cut scene in the background and just quickly typed it out. It looks to me like you spent more time on your Author’s Note than the actual story.

Well, really it isn't a fan fic, but a one-shot (or drabble, which is why the length is so short and you'll find quite a few drabbles on websites like FF.Net).

Also I know it’s a ‘short-fic’ but honestly I count 333 words and that is, to give my honest opinion, just laziness.

Hence the term "drabble", since it is so short. Feel free to delete this thread, since this isn't my normal standards of writing (I'm going to delete it off FF.Net too) and I shall return to my original idea of writing a one-shot for the Jedi Academy game.

I'm sorry I've disappointed you and this won't happen again.

Well, I haven't had much experience with the JA series so apart from the shortness of it, this was new to me and so I enjoyed reading it. If it IS plagiarism, you aren't making any money off it or claiming it as your own are you? If not, then I doubt that it would be much of a problem, would it?

I just want to know why you keep name-dropping FF.net in your posts.

Well, really it isn't a fan fic, but a one-shot (or drabble, which is why the length is so short and you'll find quite a few drabbles on websites like FF.Net).

(I'm going to delete it off FF.Net too)

Who cares? FF.net has nothing to do with LF. Every time you post a story, you're all like 'oh yeah, FF.net this, FF.net that." What are you trying to prove? :roleyess:

I just want to know why you keep name-dropping FF.net in your posts.

I don't. There have only been several posts that I've made here, that mention that particular website (as far I can remember mentioning it, it is about three times).

Who cares? FF.net has nothing to do with LF. Every time you post a story, you're all like 'oh yeah, FF.net this, FF.net that." What are you trying to prove? :roleyess:

Nothing, I'm not trying to prove anything (or at least, I think I'm not). But seriously, I have to disagree. I don't mention that particular website in every post I make, whether it is in the CEC or not. Of course, I could be wrong, since I don't remember everything I post. I wouldn't mind if you had shown me any evidence and if you have some, feel free to send it via PM, since I don't want to make this public. Until then, I disagree.

If it IS plagiarism, you aren't making any money off it or claiming it as your own are you? If not, then I doubt that it would be much of a problem, would it?

Thanks for the support Mr_BFA as always, but I think starmark2k is right in what he/she says. I've copied an entire scene from a game, which is exactly the same it was in the game.

At least with my other Fan Fic, Exile, the situation is different. Sure I copied the scene, but I added extra bits, before and after and it was at a reasonable length. This is pretty much the opposite to that one-shot, as starmark2k has already mentioned in his/her post.

Oh and to save any arguement, starmark, Rogue Nine, feel free to delete this thread, since I don't want this thread to become an arguement thread.

Also, as much as I've enjoyed my time on LF, I feel like my last few months here, I haven't felt the same as I normally do. I think my posts are either stupid or otherwise and many of my fan fics have been pretty poor these last few months. I think I should take a break from this forum and come back when I feel better and things have cleared up (I'll give it a month or so). I'll still be online, but I shall not post at all.

This isn't a quick decision, but I've been thinking about this for a while and I think it is for the best. But this forum is one I like coming onto, since it is the first forum I ever joined and for that, it recieves good points from me. Thanks and I'll be posting in a month's time.

3. The biggest rule here: don't plagiarize. Copying someone else's work and calling it your own (especially copyrighted works) is strictly prohibited and can lead to a ban. If you're posting someone else's work, then make sure that it is clearly labeled at the beginning of the post, including the original author's name and copyright information, if applicable.

Mr. BFA--it doesn't matter if he's making money or not. If he's taking someone else's work and claiming it as his, it's plagiarism. And plagiarism is wrong. It's stealing someone else's ideas, and it's unethical. There are fics that novelize the games, and those are fine--they add substantial material to thoughts, feelings, and motivations of the characters, even if the dialog is pulled directly from the game. If you add to the scene descriptions, to the character backgrounds and actions, and such, you can also include the dialog, and it does not fall into the plagiarism category, especially if you state in advance the dialog is from the game. In this case, however, nothing was changed and in addition this was claimed as your (Topsite's) own novelization when it was just copying instead. That's plagiarism, and I'm really very disappointed that you did this because I know you're better than that.

This is a formal warning, Topsite, not to plagiarize again, and I've explained it very clearly here so there is no excuse if you do this again. If you do, you'll be temp-banned. Plagiarism is not tolerated here. In addition, this thread is closed due to the plagiarism. If you want to alter this story so that it's not plagiarism, please re-write it and start a new thread.

Archived