Home

Two Students shot at Delaware State University

JoeDoe 2.0

Two students were shot and wounded, one seriously, at Delaware State University early Friday, and the campus was locked down as police searched for a gunman, officials said.

Classes were canceled for the day and students were being kept inside.

“They’ve been directed to stay in their dorms,” university spokesman Carlos Holmes said. “We don’t know where the shooter’s at.”

For the story, CLICK HERE

It seems that more violence is erupting through the whole country, and still security has not been enforced enough after what happened at Virginia Tech. I do hope this is another wake up call for campus security.

I hope they track down the bastard and show him what for.

The students were shot near the Memorial Hall gymnasium around 1 a.m., according to a news release on the university’s Web site.

Now I know that my school won't let me party till 1 in the night, so WTF were people doing in the gymnasium at 1 a.m.?

That's an excellent idea. That's basically the way it used to be in the whole country, at least back in the 1800's and such.

[sarcasm]Yes, because the 1800's were such a wonderful time.[/sarcasm]

I think I read somewhere that these were high school kids visiting Delaware State.

edit- Nope checked they were Freshman. They are from my area though (Washington, DC).

I don't want to split hairs, but...the topic is incorrect. The shootings occurred at Delaware *State* University, not the University Of Delaware. The other point I would like to make is that Delaware State's web addy is http://www.desu.edu XD

On another note, it's very disappointing to see something like this occur at such a [relatively] small school that's [again, relatively] local to me...and even more surprising that it doesn't often occur at Penn, Drexel, LaSalle or any of the other 30 colleges in this area.

...and even more surprising that it doesn't often occur at Penn, Drexel, LaSalle or any of the other 30 colleges in this area.

You left off Temple. I went to Drexel.

Penn, Temple and Drexel border some pretty rough neighborhoods and as college kids we would be pretty reckless. Walking all hours of the night to go get food. Funny thing is I would have never done that at home. I guess away at school (no matter where it is) you feel safe.

You left off Temple. I went to Drexel.

Oh, snap, my bad! You're right, Broad & Diamond is not an area pretty anyone has any business being...ever. what a wonderful location for a college >_> and i didn't know you were a Dragon ;)

Penn, Temple and Drexel border some pretty rough neighborhoods and as college kids we would be pretty reckless. Walking all hours of the night to go get food. Funny thing is I would have never done that at home. I guess away at school (no matter where it is) you feel safe.

Being at school is a different world, you're right...a cushion, a safety zone in which you assume that nothing bad can/will happen because there are [at least some] restrictions in place and because such institutions tend to be somewhat self-policing...kind of the positive version of the mob mentality, AKA Safety-In-Numbers.

I went to Penn State, and even in Happy Valley we had a disgruntled ex-student-cum-diner-waitress go sniping and stabbing on the student union building lawn back in 199...6? (time accelerates after college, kids, important safety tip) But that was certainly small beans compared to what's been going on more recently =(

all in all I find this state of affairs disheartening.

Archived