Home

How will the Jedi fight back?

Whoa. That's what I had to say after watching the teaser trailer the first time. And as I thought more about it, The Apprentice seems REALLY powerful. I was wondering a few things:

1. Since The Apprentice obviously has awesomely destructive force powers (lightning, push, repel(like a bubble?), and I think there is a fourth one) how will the Jedi he encounters cope? Will the masters he encounters be able to absorb and even redirect the lightning back at him? Since Jedi don't usually use the Force for offensive purposes how will they defend themselves against The Apprentice's power? Maybe when fighting Jedi the game focuses more on lightsaber combat and maybe your force powers become ineffective against them? Which leads me to another question...

2. Will lightsabers make contact in combat? Like in KOTOR, lightsabers made contact when you engaged an opponent. Since TFU is a Action/Adventure game and not an RPG like KOTOR where the combat was structured in a certain mode, will the lightsabers have to make contact? If it's supposed to be so realistic obviously The Apprentice can't go up to an NPC and start hacking away at them until their health bar is depleted (lol). In fact, a lightsaber cannot realistically pass thru the players or an NPC's body without killing them. This idea opens up a whole range of issues like blocking and attacking against lightsaber-wielding opponents unless the game is going to be similar to the Jedi Knight series.

Just trying to get other people's ideas and daydreams. This is what I think about as my law professor drones on and on...lol

1. Since The Apprentice obviously has awesomely powerful force powers (lightning, push, repel(like a bubble?), and I think there is a fourth one) how will the Jedi he encounters cope? Will the masters he encounters be able to absorb and even redirect the lightning back at him? Since Jedi don't usually use the Force for offensive purposes how will they defend themselves against The Apprentice's awesomeness? Maybe when fighting Jedi the game focuses more on lightsaber combat and maybe your force powers become ineffective against them? Which leads me to another question...
Hmm, good question. My best guess is just that the Jedi you encounter will be able to stand up to you in lightsaber combat. I doubt there is anyone who can match the Force prowess of the apprentice but it will probably focus on lightsaber combat when you've engaged another Jedi. Just my guess.

2. Will lightsabers make contact in combat? Like in KOTOR, lightsabers made contact when you engaged an opponent. Since TFU is a Action/Adventure game and not an RPG like KOTOR where the combat was structured in a certain mode, will the lightsabers have to make contact? If it's supposed to be so realistic obviously The Apprentice can't go up to an NPC and start hacking away at them until their health bar is depleted (lol). In fact, a lightsaber cannot realistically pass thru the players or an NPC's body without killing them. This idea opens up a whole range of issues like blocking and attacking against lightsaber-wielding opponents unless the game is going to be similar to the Jedi Knight series.
I don't really know, but it would be really cool if your opponents reacted to your attacks and blocked them (through euphoria) when you strike. I hope its not slash at your opponent until their health bar is down like in other games.

My guess is that it would work something like the ROTS game.

I thought about it too. It seems to me that the only Jedi possibly able to survive the attack of the Apprentice/best him would be Master Yoda. Although now I stop and think about it, Shaak Ti was smart, too. But if we'll have to face Lord Sidious himself - well I don't think the Apprentice has much chance to survive.

About the lightsaber combat: that part worked quite well in the JK series, I think they'll use the same method here. Or - with this Euphoria engine - they will use a completely new style.

Yeah, I think Prime might be right now that I've watched the trailer a few more times. As The Apprentice hits a stormtrooper in the trailer w/ his lightsaber (I think he does it twice) they end up going flying but they don't fall to the ground and they're definitely not cut in half. That makes me think it will be like Revenge of the Sith like Prime said, where you just deal damage to your opponent but nothing actually happens to the NPC's body (like a torso being chopped clean off). If this is the case then that's not very realisic. The JK series is more realistic than that, but maybe the gameplay focus in TFU is more on force powers and combos than saberfighting.

I'm really hoping that one of your Jedi opponents will be able to absorb The Apprentice's lightning attacks or direct them back at him to give him a taste of his own medicine and make it more challenging to defeat them. It'd also be cool if the other Jedi can levitate and throw items at your player and try to Force push you around. If the game is going to be like ROTS as far as sabercombat (I played that game a long time ago) then maybe there is just a block button to block incoming attacks and then you have to quickly hack and slash your opponent....?

That makes me think it will be like Revenge of the Sith like Prime said, where you just deal damage to your opponent but nothing actually happens to the NPC's body (like a torso being chopped clean off). If this is the case then that's not very realisic. The JK series is more realistic than that, but maybe the gameplay focus in TFU is more on force powers and combos than saberfighting.

Ahhh, g_saberrealisticcombat rules!

I never play through a JO or JA game without it enabled anymore, it's just too awesome for words!

If its gonna be that sissy-a$$ way in TFU I will be quite disappointed really...Because as fun as it is to fry people with Lighting or Force Choke them and throw them around in JK, lightsaber slashing still pwns the most IMO, and it's the most important weapon to any Force user, Jedi or Sith.

Ahhh, g_saberrealisticcombat rules!

I never play through a JO or JA game without it enabled anymore, it's just too awesome for words!

Think about it, Now you can chuck that freshly picked rolling skull at your enemy like a bowling ball!!! Or you can "limb throw" at enemies from the distance. :)

Then why is he called the secret apprentice??

Secret from the rest of the Empire?

Darth Vader actually tells the Appericante to go and kill off all the Stormtroopers so that they don't know that he actually exist. And Darth Vader can try whatever he can to hide it from the rest of society. But Palpy's always pulling the strings, always watching.

Yeah, I think Prime might be right now that I've watched the trailer a few more times. As The Apprentice hits a stormtrooper in the trailer w/ his lightsaber (I think he does it twice) they end up going flying but they don't fall to the ground and they're definitely not cut in half. That makes me think it will be like Revenge of the Sith like Prime said, where you just deal damage to your opponent but nothing actually happens to the NPC's body (like a torso being chopped clean off). If this is the case then that's not very realisic. The JK series is more realistic than that, but maybe the gameplay focus in TFU is more on force powers and combos than saberfighting.

I think that the devs might have found that too violent for a Star Wars game, so the Aprentice will probably just slash on common foes until they're pretty dead, emptying their health bars. But against saber-armed opponents, things may change a bit, like even if (visually) sparred, a blow will still inflict damage.

Secret from the rest of the Empire?

Darth Vader actually tells the Appericante to go and kill off all the Stormtroopers so that they don't know that he actually exist. And Darth Vader can try whatever he can to hide it from the rest of society. But Palpy's always pulling the strings, always watching.

thats one theory...

Maybe the Jedis are pulling off terrorist attacks and spreads doubt and unrest against the great galactic empire... Things like taking over space stations, createing trained warbeasts out of local species, ambushing imperial supplies and peace keeping squads, leading rebellions and insurgencies...

The Emperor doesn't know about "The Secret Apprentice", it is clearly confirmed by lucasarts.

If you can get a quote about it, then I'll drop my theory that the Emperor knows. If not, then I'll manitan that the Emperor does know.

Of course the "Guy With Shackles" can be secret even if the Emperor knows. I mean, I expect that the Jedi will also know that the "Guy with Shackles" exist, heck, even one Jedi said that guy has a future beyond being an appercinate! Just because some main characters know you exist doesn't mean you are not "secret". Just that most people don't know.

I predict that they'll have the same junk from the Revenge of the Sith Game, where you just mash buttons, slashing your opponent dozens upon dozens of times and he reacts as if you're punching and kicking him, rather than acting like a blade of pure energy is slicing into him. This is probably how it'll be, judging from the laughable reactions to contact with lightsaber blades seen in the teaser trailer (being thrown long distances accompanied by a blue wavy effect, as opposed to simply having one's limbs chopped off like lightsabers supposedly do).

Archived