Home

If Tim Burton would do Grim Fandango...

A-Log

Hey guys, it's A-Log again. Sorry for not posting in a while, but I just thought of something. I remember hearing the rumor of Tim Burton making a movie version of Grim Fandango. I still have my doubts, but if it does happen, I would not only see it animated, but animated in a different style. Think about it-- most animated films that were directed by Burton were done in claymation. So what I'm asking is, would Grim Fandango work out as claymation or computer animated?

Anthony "A-Log" LoGatto

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A Tim Burton GF movie would not be that good. Because he has his old favourites he casts in every movie and I'd want to see the original cast bought back.

But the idea of a Grim Fandango film in and of itself is brilliant, it's something I still hope for actually. Because it was such a powerful story that to just leave the game to gather dust seems wrong.

A movie would be kind of hard to do though wouldn't? I mean nobody would want to watch Manny running around solving puzzles like getting a metal detector out of the litter box. The makers would definitely need more writing material.

no need for more writing material, the puzzles are like in the action/adventure movies: how the main character used this "thingy" to get access to enter a room or climb a building ...

no need for more writing material, the puzzles are like in the action/adventure movies: how the main character used this "thingy" to get access to enter a room or climb a building ...

Yeah it could work but some of the puzzles would have to be changed to keep the audience interested. The betting stub puzzle would have to be carefully written to make it easy to understand in a movie situation.

I think the puzzles would have to go, especially if one was to cram all four years into one movie. There simply wouldn't be enough time to waste so much of it to random obstacles like the marrow tree or entering the wine cellar. Only those that are truly essential to the plot, like raising the ship in Y3, would have to be kept. Puzzles work in the game, but I really don't think any viewer would like watch Manny solve them in a movie.

I also think the plot would have to be drastically cut/changed to make it work. There's lots of dialogue in the game, and only a fraction of that could be realistically included into a movie. This means that the majority of the characters would either have to be dropped, or they'd have to be nothing but minor characters with barely any lines. I think the only truly essential characters would be Manny, Meche, Glottis, Domino, Hector, and maybe Salvador and maybe even Olivia if we're stretching it. There's no way someone like Toto or Chepito could have a decent role, no matter how great they are as characters.

Since GF has such a long story and so much plot, it would have to be made simpler for the sake of a movie. El Marrow and Rubacava could be combined so that no time would have to be wasted on Manny's journey to the latter. El Marrow could be just a closed neighbourhood in Rubacava or something.

If there was to be a GF movie, it would be unrealistic to expect it to be just like the game. Drastic changes would have to be made, and based on how passionate some people around here are about the game, they wouldn't be pleased. I wouldn't mind to see what someone could come up with, but I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that even the worst garbage couldn't ruin the original.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived