Home

Improved Swimming Animations

Wytchking

Well after not getting a response on the current stumble animations I searched around the forum for the old animation threads. Swimming Animations came up.

swimmingbp5.th.gif

Here is a new swim forward animation in GIF format. I don't think its great so I would most likely redo it for release, it just a question of whether you want it.

However to really get this to work new animations will have to be coded such as four transitions (backwards, up, down and forwards) as well as up, down and forward swimming.

It would also be nice to have surface swimming animations and transitions when running into the water or hitting the water.

I wasn't aware that there were maps where swimming was really used.

Well after not getting a response on the current stumble animations I searched around the forum for the old animation threads.

Sorry, I've been out sick for several days. What was your question and where?

I wasn't aware that there were maps where swimming was really used

It is in the Yavin training map but generally they aren't used as they are pathetic. (DarthDie is there a chance you could explain how to code new animations to me as I've always wanted to do it but never got round to it)

What was your question and where?

Sorry to hear you were ill. I was wondering what are the names of the current stumble animations (I can't find them) so I can take refrence from them. Then, with a bit of luck, they should fit seamlessly into the game (I asked in the Reacting to Damage thread as part of another post). I also wanted to check that the stumble animations are the ones you get with a high mishap when an opponent blocks you.

So should I continue with this or focus my efforts on the stumble animations? (I've got alot more spare time over the next two weeks due to half term)

Sorry to hear you were ill. I was wondering what are the names of the current stumble animations (I can't find them) so I can take refrence from them. Then, with a bit of luck, they should fit seamlessly into the game (I asked in the Reacting to Damage thread as part of another post). I also wanted to check that the stumble animations are the ones you get with a high mishap when an opponent blocks you.

So should I continue with this or focus my efforts on the stumble animations? (I've got alot more spare time over the next two weeks due to half term)

It's all good. Just the local bug going around. :)

Anyway, about the stumble animations. They're called the "knockback" animations in the engine and are labelled BOTH_KX_XXXXXX. The first X is the saber style being used (1-7) and the other Xs are the saber position where the stumble occurred. There's 8 positions total.

And, yeah, they're used as the stun animations seen when you mishap with your saber.

I'd focus on the stumble animations, adding them in wouldn't require any code work and they'd be much easier to test ingame.

Anyway, about the stumble animations. They're called the "knockback" animations in the engine and are labelled BOTH_KX_XXXXXX. The first X is the saber style being used (1-7) and the other Xs are the saber position where the stumble occurred. There's 8 positions total

Got them, though there only seem to be ones for K1, K6 and K7 and only 6 positions for each? (Do you also want work on the Vs? V6 18830 - 18910, V7 18910 - 19008 and V1 mixed in with the Ks. They have eight different animations so were you referring to these?)

BOTH_K1_S1_BL 8146 10 -1 20

BOTH_K1_S1_BR 8156 10 -1 20

BOTH_K1_S1_B_ 8166 15 -1 20

BOTH_K1_S1_TL 8181 13 -1 20

BOTH_K1_S1_TR 8194 14 -1 20

BOTH_K1_S1_T_ 8208 13 -1 20

BOTH_K6_S6_BL 8221 11 -1 20

BOTH_K6_S6_BR 8232 8 -1 20

BOTH_K6_S6_B_ 8240 11 -1 20

BOTH_K6_S6_TL 8251 8 -1 20

BOTH_K6_S6_TR 8259 15 -1 20

BOTH_K6_S6_T_ 8274 12 -1 20

BOTH_K7_S7_BL 8286 14 -1 20

BOTH_K7_S7_BR 8300 14 -1 20

BOTH_K7_S7_B_ 8314 11 -1 20

BOTH_K7_S7_TL 8325 14 -1 20

BOTH_K7_S7_TR 8339 14 -1 20

BOTH_K7_S7_T_ 8353 11 -1 20

These are the Ks in the animation.cfg I could find. I can't believe I missed them when I first looked.

I'd focus on the stumble animations, adding them in wouldn't require any code work and they'd be much easier to test ingame

Check. Once this is cleared up I'll start work. Perhaps I'll get a chance to revist my swimming animation in the future.

I checked and there's only 6 positions. Probably to save time animating.

The reason why there's only 1, 6, and 7 for K is because many of the knockback, saber lock, etc animations are shared for all the single saber styles.

BTW, I made a mistake, the stumble animations are actually the BOTH_H animations, not the BOTH_K ones.

The BOTH_Ks are actually the "knockaway" animations. We use them as parry animations.

As for BOTH_V, I looked them up and they're used for "broken parries" during attacks, something that OJP doesn't use. If I recall, they look very similar to the bounce animations.

The BOTH_Ks are actually the "knockaway" animations. We use them as parry animations.

Yeah, though we could probably use better looking ones of those too to make them look more like powerful blocks. I do like the ones we have now, but I think their more appropriate for mishap maxouts or attack parries rather than something that happens almost every second like the parry. The movies had way more two handed blocks, and though its easy to say "the parries are the one handed blocks you see in combat" in explanation, if they were moving or pushing two handed blocks, we could just as easily say parries the blocks that are moving.

BTW, I made a mistake, the stumble animations are actually the BOTH_H animations, not the BOTH_K ones

Ahh that explains alot. Okay I'll get to work then. Sorry for all the confusion caused.

Yeah, though we could probably use better looking ones of those too to make them look more like powerful blocks. I do like the ones we have now, but I think their more appropriate for mishap maxouts or attack parries rather than something that happens almost every second like the parry. The movies had way more two handed blocks, and though its easy to say "the parries are the one handed blocks you see in combat" in explanation, if they were moving or pushing two handed blocks, we could just as easily say parries the blocks that are moving

It would be good to rework all the blocking animations but I don't think I have enough time or enough patience. It could get extremely frustrating with all the tweaking needed :) . Perhaps in the future when I've worked alot more with the saber system and know which animation is used for what if JA hasn't died by then.

Archived