Home

Mishap Animations

Wytchking

You should leave the feet positions as is for the block animations unless you're going to be changing them all.

The walk animations will be overriding the foot positions most of the time anyway.

And you don't want to risk have it look weird by having the feet positions switch for one block position if the block position is changed rapidly (like with preblocks).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should leave the feet positions as is for the block animations unless you're going to be changing them all.[/Quote]

For the blocking I haven't changed the feet positions.

In that case I think they're good man. I would have thought you could have the starting position be the animation frame from mid way through one of the downward swings. But i don't know much about it. All I've done is edit the cfg for new stances and try to adjust return anims to make them gel better.[/Quote]

The starting position is the start of the normal bounce back animation, slightly over half the swing I believe.

I've also made a backwards block if you want it

shot0110pt6.th.png

Comments?

I'm also going to repost the GIF of the current mishap as I feel it might get lost in the talk about the blocking animations otherwise.

mishapquickjx1.th.gif

Currently the animation is mediocre at best (though I am a perfectionist). The second step backwards is just wrong, and the footwork, generally, isn't right. I'm going to have to edit each frame seperately to get it perfect.

Its something to do with the rotation. Any help here would be good.

I've also made a backwards block if you want it

Comments?

That back block is nice. There's not much I can offer on it because in real sword play your own blade hits your back if you do that but you turn it flat so it doesn't cut you. If your opponent has any kind of momentum in his swing you have to be very strong to be able to stop his blade dead in that position. You would want as much separation between your hands on the hilt as possible in order to gain leverage. But that's not necessary for ojp because we have the force to strengthen our defense. I say it's nice. But it just now occurs to me that it might be nice to have right and left versions of the back block, so that the saber was more over whatever shoulder the attack was coming to. You could even have both wrists over one shoulder instead of having his head between his arms. Would that work? And would it be possible to make it play the right one depending on the side the attack was comin from? Just an idea and not that important but trying to brainstorm. It's good work.

Currently the animation is mediocre at best (though I am a perfectionist). The second step backwards is just wrong, and the footwork, generally, isn't right. I'm going to have to edit each frame seperately to get it perfect.

Its something to do with the rotation. Any help here would be good.

I think maybe the legs should be closer together on the backward steps. They can start how they are but it may look more like he's really off balance if his feet are a little closer together for the steps. I was just trying it here with the mirror and my stance is definitely narrow while stumbling back and then it widens again as I regain composure and come back to a guard. Hope that is some help.

The problem with additional blocking positions is that they have to be created for the dual and staff styles as well.

We already have a library of new block positions for the single saber but we don't have them for the dual and staff styles. If we could have matching sets for the dual and staff styles, we could probably add everything in.

However, there would be a lot of work involved. That's why it wasn't finished in the first place.

If your opponent has any kind of momentum in his swing you have to be very strong to be able to stop his blade dead in that position. You would want as much separation between your hands on the hilt as possible in order to gain leverage. But that's not necessary for ojp because we have the force to strengthen our defense. I say it's nice.[/Quote]

Generally being able to block something coming in behind you when its not choreographed is not realistic. Looks cool though.

I think maybe the legs should be closer together on the backward steps. They can start how they are but it may look more like he's really off balance if his feet are a little closer together for the steps. I was just trying it here with the mirror and my stance is definitely narrow while stumbling back and then it widens again as I regain composure and come back to a guard. Hope that is some help.[/Quote]

I'll try it and see what I get. Anyone thought of a better way of posting animations than GIFs yet?

But it just now occurs to me that it might be nice to have right and left versions of the back block, so that the saber was more over whatever shoulder the attack was coming to.[/Quote]

Easily done (as long as the model decides its going to deform correctly), I'll get to work

It's good work.[/Quote]

:spin:

However, there would be a lot of work involved. That's why it wasn't finished in the first place.[/Quote]

I can make extra blocking positions easily, they're no more difficult than a stance. I'll make ones for a doublebladed lightsaber and for dual sabers if you want me to. Which positions do you have already? Just the ones I've created single saber animations for or others as well?

I presume by the work you mean mishap animations, transitions etc rather than the postitions as positions take minutes?

I'll try it and see what I get. Anyone thought of a better way of posting animations than GIFs yet?

Maybe use FRAPS and then post it to youtube?

I can make extra blocking positions easily, they're no more difficult than a stance. I'll make ones for a doublebladed lightsaber and for dual sabers if you want me to. Which positions do you have already? Just the ones I've created single saber animations for or others as well?

I presume by the work you mean mishap animations, transitions etc rather than the postitions as positions take minutes?

I don't remember which positions we have exactly. It's been such a long time since I've messed with that stuff. Try looking on the repository for the files. If they aren't there, I'll need to dig them up on my system somewhere.

Sorry, I'm no longer part of the active development team, so I'm basically just going from memory. :)

shot0114bb0.th.png

I really like that one. Looks like something Darth Maul would do. :)

Yeah I like that one too.

btw, Jack is working on animations too a little more behind the scenes. He's mostly doing parry anims and I think he's messing around with backblock anims too. THe parry anims he's made so far are pretty good and look good in combat.

Its amazing that we've had very limited new animation resources in the past and now we have several! LOL!

shot0114bb0.th.png

shot0115kt6.th.png (Just re-used the single back block seen as the legs will be playing walking animations etc. Will change if you want this one)

or another one (please post pictures for reference)?

I like both of them. And I agree with Razorace, that's definitely Darth Maul.

btw, Jack is working on animations too a little more behind the scenes.[/Quote]

I guessed from the number of PMs I've been answering from him. Post your work here and lets help each other.

I really like that one. Looks like something Darth Maul would do.[/Quote]

Glad you like it. It was a bugger to do without spinning the whole body as the deformation kept mucking me around. I'll start work on a dual sabers backblock then (unless JackBaldy's already done one?)

Its amazing that we've had very limited new animation resources in the past and now we have several! LOL!.[/Quote]

I only started animating because everyone said thats whats needed (it did also help that I find it quite easy compared with modelling and mapping, both of which I'm attempting now)

Glad you like it. It was a bugger to do without spinning the whole body as the deformation kept mucking me around. I'll start work on a dual sabers backblock then (unless JackBaldy's already done one?)

I think Jack is making one or done with it, not sure. We'll see how it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

http://files.filefront.com/GLAs+for+OJPzip/;8972335;/fileinfo.html

I've uploaded the three back blocks I've made (single, dual and staff) as well as the mishap to filefront in a .zip. They are each seperate gla's and are labelled fairly obviously.

I'm continuing work on other mishaps but am suffering from a bad case of real life syndrome at the moment that my doctors have told me should clear up by next week. Hopefully by then the coursework virus will have been beaten back and I should have short term immunity (:^: no coursework till near christmas).

I posted them for JRHockney's use mainly as he is in the process of coding a back block.

You can view them through the program I used to create them (Dragon) or XSI. If your really interested then I'll go into more detail but really they're just slightly more polished versions of whats already been posted in .gifs

I posted them for JRHockney's use mainly as he is in the process of coding a back block.

You can view them through the program I used to create them (Dragon) or XSI. If your really interested then I'll go into more detail but really they're just slightly more polished versions of whats already been posted in .gifs

no worries man. thanks anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally had some more time to do these, and as suggested by Razorace I've recorded one. However whenever I try to upload a video to youtube it asks me to confirm my email, which I do, says its confirmed then asks me to do it again :mad: . Instead I've uploaded it to filefront

http://files.filefront.com/dragon+2007+11+18+19+55+51avi/;9072283;/fileinfo.html

Its alright but currently the way he originally spins back needs work.

I've finally had some more time to do these, and as suggested by Razorace I've recorded one. However whenever I try to upload a video to youtube it asks me to confirm my email, which I do, says its confirmed then asks me to do it again :mad: . Instead I've uploaded it to filefront

http://files.filefront.com/dragon+2007+11+18+19+55+51avi/;9072283;/fileinfo.html

Its alright but currently the way he originally spins back needs work.

Hmm I cant seem to play it with windows mediaplayer :\

Btw, that single saber backblock animation probably needs to start more the blcok position itself so it looks like the saebr was there for the hit. Good job otherwise.

Its an avi, I can upload it in a different format if you like (though it played in my windows media player).

Should I remake the single saber back block then or should I leave it for JackBaldy (you said he was creating one)?

You can do that if you want. Al you really need to do is take out the first few animations so it starts closer to the full block position.

Archived