Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm...here's something a little different from the world of pc cases

apart from small form factor, another thing I really like is things a bit weird/futuristic looking(like my prius)... I came across this in my travels

the antec skeleton case

antec-skeleton-mainz.jpg

If I could find ourt whether my older shuttles flex-atx mobo would fit on it....I might go for it for a tucked a way folding rig... hmmm

in things that are more definite, the EVGA Core216 have finally hit our shores.. Id say T-minus 2 weeks til I have one ... hmmm >> now what to do with the 8800GTS 640??

mtfbwya

Pretty much a direct response to the Core 216, ATI has come out with the 4870 1024MB. Almost goes blow for blow with the C216, though the larger framebuffer and GDDR5 seems to give it an edge in some higher AA contexts.

If you were an ATI fan and wanted a a single GPU that can cut the mustard, then this is your baby ;) Still a bit hot n hungry for me... getting to 85C on load.... My 8800GTS folds almost 24/7 and it sits in the mid 60s during all that(in a smallform case). AMD! What happenned to the ''cool and quiet'' approach !? :p

Check out G3Ds detailed review HERE

and whilst we're on the topic of interesting alternatives, I have just found out the newest version of vmware virtualisation software now supports directx9c does this mean we will now be able to run KOTOR inside a virtual XP environment in vista, without needing to dual boot??!!

...get the evaluation version and give it a go!! :D (Im a bit too busy atm)

mtfbwya

Pretty much a direct response to the Core 216, ATI has come out with the 4870 1024MB.
I think you've got it backwards. The Core 216 is a direct response to the 4870. ;)

As far as 48xx's temp problems go, they can be fixed by changing the fan profiles to the point where it is no longer an issue. Like I've said before, the performance of these two cards is so close that it really comes down to two things: price and fanboi-ism. :p

I have just found out the newest version of vmware virtualisation software now supports directx9c does this mean we will now be able to run KOTOR inside a virtual XP environment in vista, without needing to dual boot??!!
I have no experience whatsoever with VMWare. [stupid question]Would you still need a copy of XP to do so? [/stupid question]

I think you've got it backwards. The Core 216 is a direct response to the 4870. ;)

Yes of course, but given the release schedule of the 1024DDR5 version of the 4870,it can be seen as a direct response the the C216 ;)

Theres one more factor that goes beyond politics and fanboyism....

*points at sig*

Im seriously considering keeping my 8800GTS, plonking it in a new case with my other spare parts and using it as a folder / NAS media server. Im waiti9ng to see what my electricity bill says after 3 solid months of folding ;)

@Q...Im shocked!! Yes, you do indeed need the OS disc/image from whatever OS you are wanting to virtualise :)

mtfbwya

Like I said, I have no experience with virtualization at all. I've never even looked into it. :blush2: I did indicate that it was a stupid question that I probably already knew the answer to, didn't I? ;)

Anywho, I certainly hope that this is true and that AMD isn't just repeating the mistake that they made by grossly overexaggerating Barcelona's performance. If it is true, then we'll all have something to look forward to by the end of the year in the form of renewed competition from AMD in the CPU market. Even a 10% IPC improvement along with higher clocks would be big news. :emodanc:

You'd finally get your quad, Astro!

...You'd finally get your quad, Astro!

yes a 3.0 GHz quaddie would be nice :) Im currently in the throes of getting a new GPU, so later on is good timing!

What is even cooler is theyve decided to name their hexa-core "Istanbul" !!! *waves Turkish flag proudly* :p

lolz....

As for virtualisation

A network admin friend let me have a ''borrow'' of his employers copy of VMWare 6.... :D

So, are you able to run KOTOR2 within xp on vm within vista?! It came oh so close, but the answer is .... NO.

why. whilst vmware6s new drivers add DX9C support, they DO NOT add open GL, and in fact only virtualise 16MB of VRAM. So for apps that dont need openGL and can tolerate 16Mb, sure, this may well be handy for you. For gaming, nope. Youre better off dual booting into xp (or linux and running WINE)

here's some proof:

vmwarekotor2xx1.jpg

case closed....for NOW! Im sure, one day virtualisation apps will be able to run multiple FULL FEATURED OSs all at once... ;) The coprorate world demands it, software devs would love it :D

mtfbwya

I can't believe somebody hasn't already posted the big news about AMD splitting into two companies!!! AMD will now become a chip design company and their fabs will be spun off into a separate company. A couple of Abu Dhabi companies are investing billions in "The Foundry Company" and AMD will end up as a minority shareholder.

TG Daily

Seems like AMD is betting the farm again. All I can say is good luck!

I'm surprised Astro hasn't posted this yet:

FOLDING! of course :xp:

hehe No need to state the obvious :D chainz is our star folder. He is like Pele, and the rest of us are the Brazilian soccer team that run alongside him :p

My next build that Ive been musing on about is built with folding in mind. Im pretty sure Im keeping my 8800GTS for it, so will have that and its GTX 2xx replacement all folding for teamLFN once im all done(probably by xmas) I want us to get individual+team stats sigs dammit :D

mtfbwya

Not much happening in teh tech world lately besides the big AMD split thing...

Obviously Intel has something to say about it!

^ Protecting intellectual rights my a$$, trying to establish a monopoly more like...

UAC to get chilled in Windows 7

^ Good!!! Any experienced PC user's first encounter with Vista was bound to end up in angry hate-blogs because of this awful piece of garbage software...The very first thing I learned to do in Vista was how to shut it off!

Nvidia going 55nm with 200-series.

^ lolz it looks like their naming convention gets more awesome every time the release a new line! I can't wait for the GTX1897+X-X2!!!

Question: When is Windows 7 coming out and what can I expect from it over Vista (and XP)?

whoa Lynky. Long time no see ;)

I think the greatest gains with each windows build are those aimed at advanced apps, gaming and multimedia functionality. If you are just going to be using it for 'usual stuff' you can use Linux, xp whatever.

The HTPC site I work'n'lurk on has a special W7 section. Here's some recently posted tidbits:

Here's a slide AMD showed at the recent CEATEC conference in Japan.

ceatec09_20.jpg

Here's an (alleged) screenie of build 2022 of W7 which recent rumour has purported to be called "Windows Strata"

win7desk_full.jpg

mtfbwya

The "7" naming convention is actually pretty common. A lot of the time something will have the "7" at the end despite it not being the 7th in line lol.

Lolz, No need to be so literal.

That's simply because 7 is many peoples lucky number :xp:

Actually, sometimes I have wondered if there is a Lynk Latter out there somewhere... [/>googles>Nope]

There have been about 27 versions of windows (more if you count the x64, media center, embedded and tablet pc editions of xp) , but this is considered the 7th interation of the mass market consumer based line.

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows ME do not speak its name for it is a curse!

Windows 2000

Windows XP

Windows Codename Longhorn > Vista

Windows Codename 7 > ?'Strata'?

My first MS based PC ran win 95. I have used all types at home or work in some form or another :D

Ive used as far back as 3.1 at school, but never any of the versions before that. Ive only ever met two people that said they have used windows 1.0 way back in the day ;)

mtfbwya

Ive only ever met two people that said they have used windows 1.0 way back in the day ;)

That's cause Windows 1.0 was utter cr*p :)

That screenie looks like some kind of version of Linux though, but then isn't that what they're trying to aim for, lower memory footprint, faster boot times, etc...

Except they can charge people rediculous prices for it of course :xp:

[/cynic mode]

@ Astro:

I was just explaining that using "7" is quite a common naming convention, even when the previous ni a series don't use numbers in their naming convention... or if it's even the 7th in the series. For a codename or for the official name, it doesn't matter.

I'd like to be optimistic though and think 7 will be a worth while upgrade from Vista... not that I trust Vista, I'm still using XP which is chugging along lol... of course I'm starting to do the whole media pc thing lately since my HDTV is my second monitor and XP isn't really working out well for that.

Also, isn't there a 3 image limit on the sig images? :p

Archived