Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

For those that didnt hear > windows 7 will be going RTM in July, and released to the public on October 22 ;)>>source

Windows 7 RC will still be available until July and will continue to work until March 2010 ;) Im using 7RC on my full time HTPC, and were it not for my massive fondness for the sidebar dock(which is missing in RC1), would happily use it as my fill time OS outside of testing

Now, for some display awesomeness... I started giggling excitedly when I heard NEC were finally releasing their 43" curved monitor, but was a bit let down when I heard it was 2880 x 900 (would have preferred morevertical rez)..and costs $7999 USD on release. Whilst I adore the idea of it, the price and the fact that it isnt at least 1080 vertically makes it something Im unlikely to want to be even if I could afford it :p I imagine it'd be a delight for Flight Sim fans...

NEC_CRV_43_1.jpg

In other news, AMD/ATI fans may be interested to know that Team Red has been showing of some DX 11 kit at Computex. Im not sure why it is as exciting as they are making out, but good to see them forging ahead on something?? :p

mtfbwya

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry about that. i guess most sites aren't seeing this as big news. link here

unfortunately, no benchies just yet. still 34% performance gain by just adding two cores (assuming that AMD isn't fudging the numbers)?? apply that to the PII lineup, and you've got a chip that will go toe-to-toe with the current i7's. there's no way you can convince me otherwise that AMD isn't going to put 6-core Phenoms in the fast lane with that kind of performance.

One would think so. If the new Opterons are shipping then I guess the question is how long before AMD updates the Phenom? I don't know if I can bear waiting much past September to upgrade my PC. I want to be ready to play Alpha Protocol on an upgraded rig by October. :D

For those that didnt hear > windows 7 will be going RTM in July, and released to the public on October 22 ;)>>source

Windows 7 RC will still be available until July and will continue to work until March 2010 ;) Im using 7RC on my full time HTPC, and were it not for my massive fondness for the sidebar dock(which is missing in RC1), would happily use it as my fill time OS outside of testing

Been paying attention to E3 news instead of tech news for the past couple of weeks so I hadn't heard but October 22 is earlier than what I originally expected. So what version of Windows 7 do you plan on using for your HTPC once you get a production copy?

One would think so. If the new Opterons are shipping then I guess thSo what version of Windows 7 do you plan on using for your HTPC once you get a production copy?

I like using remote desktop connection to jump around all rigs, so that likely means Ultimate(not sure if W7Pro supports it) Being a CS4 tester, I wont be paying for whatever copy I end up choosing ;) I didnt put in literally 100s of hours of testing for fun only...

mtfbwya

^^^^

in the meantime, i'm wishing i could get a copy of W7 Ultimate for free. being in the computer repair biz, it helps to be familiar with all aspects of the latest and greatest...

Windows 7 RC1 (Ultimate) is pretty close to RTM standard, and quite usable as a full time OS in many many respects. It is still available for download from MS until july and officially expires in March 2010. I posted the link a page back or so

give it a go ;)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
....includes a bunch of stuff the phone should've had since launch...think of it as a new patched version of iPhone.

Ranting aside, this is true. Why poor iphone users needed to wait til 3.0 for cut n paste is baffling...

Most business oriented folk will opt for a Blackberry/WinMo/PalmPre, though the iphone is a nifty media player and has some interesting apps and games

Looks like the Zune HD is powered by the nvidia Tegra.. making its capacity for games quite appealing

I was never a huge fan of the old zunes(especially those first brown ones), but the ZuneHD is looking nice. With a delicious OLED screen, Tegra under the hood, one wouldnt be amiss to think theyre going to sell bundles, particularly if developers come up with alot of cool apps/games for it. Also the fact that the tegra supports flash acceleration can never do it any harm. Finally , as Groovy mentioned in the June podcast, Zune HD will integrate with XboxLive content, making it instantly appealing for x360 owners.

zune-hd.jpg

For those that didnt see it, here's that

that surfaced online a few weeks ago

mtfbwya

Ranting aside, this is true. Why poor iphone users needed to wait til 3.0 for cut n paste is baffling...

Fair point Astro, but how many other phone manufacturers offer such massive enhancements and regular FREE updates 2 years after the original release of its product?

Trust me I am in no way an Apple fanboy, I still think iMacs and such are ludicrously overpriced for what they are, but the iPhone has never ever ceased to amaze me since I first got it, and fair enough, it should have had copy/paste, MMS and such since the start, but it's a brilliant phone/web browser/ipod nonetheless, and with my bundle in the UK I pay a fixed price very month to get unlimited internet and texts so I really can't complain :)

I do think the Iphone 3G S is a marginal improvement over the current one, the only real thing it has more is a 3MP camera instead of 2MP and it can shoot vids...big deal.

Also the 3.0 OS now allows internet tethering which is good for us laptop users as we can now use the Iphone's 3G connection to connect to the internet when you're out and about on the laptop, without the need for usb dongles and expensive charges for them...

[/iphone fanboy rant]

imgSanDisk%20Sansa%20Clip3.jpg

That is my MP3 player. Had quite a few, and that has been the best one so far. The thing is freakin invincible.

I used to have a Sansa...I loved the thing but I couldn't stand the software...along with that...I needed more space than the player and micro sd would allow...so I got a zune! Still like the Sansa though...very good players...and at great prices too!

Don't own an iPhone. I have gone through a 10 GB iPod (gen 2 or 3, can't remember) and a Nano though. Gone through as in both devices have ceased to function. Others may thus understand why I'm not real enthused with durability of Apple's mobile product line.

OLED displays look like they're making some headway. Saw this report on Dailytech today and it stoked my fires of OLED anticipation. LG says they're releasing a 15 inch OLED set in December, albeit in South Korea only. Samsung claims they have 14.1 inch and 31 inch displays ready for production. Prices are expected to be sky high but I expect that like most technology products the quality will improve and prices will drop. I'm hoping in another couple of years I'll be able to afford a 42" OLED TV to replace my CRT TV. :p

Also the 3.0 OS now allows internet tethering which is good for us laptop users as we can now use the Iphone's 3G connection to connect to the internet when you're out and about on the laptop, without the need for usb dongles and expensive charges for them...

whoa...I didnt know that. What are those clowns up to! WinMo has had Internet sharing since version 5(at least) Ive been using it on my WinMo 6.0 htc touch dual for a whiles now. The wow factors associated with touch and accelerometer components surely come second to such vital functionality as being able to use the phone as a 3G modem

If the Zune HD makes its intended splash, the Zune Phone wont be far away... and the iphone will take a mighty kick in the bollocks(sales wise) It will be interesting to see if winMo7 devices will eventually sport the tegra too.

@Char >> Astro yearns for OLED... 46" 1600p OLED gaming monitor pleez ?? i dont mind waiting a few years ;)

Astro

I am not a fan of Zune's GUI, its just in a list. Apples' got the fancy stuff. Also the iphone isn't great until it is jailbroken, it allows tons more stuff like themes, video recording(before 3.0), folders, video backgrounds, more apps, custom ringtones, ebooks, and tons more.

Fans of team green and GPU news in general may be interested in reading this interview with nvidia CEO

Jen Hsun Huang. His comments about Intel's Larrabee are pretty funny :p

Larrabee should be launched in 2006, Larrabee should hit retail in 2008, Larrabee should sell well in 2009, the second generation Larrabee should be out in 2010, the 3rd generation Larrabee should be out in 2011… Like all of you, I am eager to see Intel’s Larrabee.

clicky

mtfbwya

Nice find there, Astro. Did Intel ever say Larrabee was going to debut in 2008? I haven't been paying close attention. Whatever the case, whenever Larrabee does show up I'll see how it stacks up against ATI's and NVIDIA's products. I anticipate Larrabee will need a couple of years to become a true competitor to ATI and NVIDIA, assuming Intel sticks with it this time.

I found this quote interesting as well.

Globalfoundries is a leading silicon foundry with advanced and outstanding processing technology. We’re seriously evaluating and discussing about the possibilities of working with them. As to TSMC, we do regard it as a world-class silicon OEM with flexible strategies. We’re working very closely together.
If I'm NVIDIA I want to make sure that ATI's stuff isn't going to get preferential treatment by Globalfoundries. IIRC AMD still owns a large chunk of Globalfoundries and that would give me pause.

IIRC AMD still owns a large chunk of Globalfoundries and that would give me pause.

Business is business ;) They draw up contracts, they keep deadlines. They get paid.

Samsung and Sony are the worlds 2 biggest LCD manufacturers... they have 2 massive factories in Korea which they built and share co-operatively

mtfbwya

If the Zune HD makes its intended splash, the Zune Phone wont be far away... and the iphone will take a mighty kick in the bollocks(sales wise)

Meh, they said that when the G1 came out in this country, was more of a little splash than a bang on impact...

As to the 3G tethering only being implemented now, most iPhone users aren't as tech-savvy as you or me Astro, and they don't want to play around for 5 hours configuring their device to perfection ;-) It wasn't intented to be an ultra-tech phone to begin with, it was aimed more for the entertainment orientated people, music, mobile internet and phone as the main features, and I know we disagree on this one, but no one does it better ;)

I am not a fan of Zune's GUI, its just in a list. Apples' got the fancy stuff. Also the iphone isn't great until it is jailbroken, it allows tons more stuff like themes, video recording(before 3.0), folders, video backgrounds, more apps, custom ringtones, ebooks, and tons more.

1) Since Jailbraiking the iPhone is very illegal, this is the first and last time it will be discussed in these forums.

2) There is absolutely no need whatsoever to do such an idiotic thing,a few reasons

- what themes or backgrounds would you want for example? all you see is the apps on your home screen leaving no room to see anything on a background, you can set a picture as your screensaver/clock bg so I'm missing the point there...

- folders to do what? put music in? that's what ipod does...put pictures in? oh wait... see my point?

- You can already legally make custom ringtones for yout iPhone from literally any song you want...the only thing you can't do is set a custom message tone...

- You can get ebooks through the app store, a lot of good free ones too! I've currently got all of Shakespeare's work on my iPhone, as well as The Art of War, Moby Dick and Dorian Gray to name but a few...all 100% free and legal.

I think I've made my point, I'm not trying to be anal here but I will be very strict about this subject, in no way will Jailbreaking the iPhone be made to sound like a good thing or a good idea on this forum...

In the privacy of your own home, do what you want, I'm not pretending to be holier-than-thou here, but just keep it clean here m'kay?

In the privacy of your own home, do what you want, I'm not pretending to be holier-than-thou here, but just keep it clean here m'kay?

There is no need for the emotion and arm flappery. It should be easy to provide info about the capabilities of a non jailbroken phone without that. Remember, Pride is our enemy ;) As for Jailbreaking ... a simple "jailbreaking will void your warranty so its on your head if you mess with it" is more than enough. I'm sure there are people out there who think its a fantastic idea (from a functionality perpective).

For both viewpoints, the warranty issue is the only thing that matters, legally

What has been amusing is how Apple have taken grumpily to PalmPre users using ITunes for syncing.... >>source I dont get why they'd be so fussed???

Meh, they said that when the G1 came out in this country, was more of a little splash than a bang on impact...

Android devices dont hold a mass market allure. Tech heads find them intriguing, Linux fans feel a kinship towards them them... but everyone else??

Something that will integrate with an xbox/windows pc and has a tegra under the hood - would for some -hold an instant appeal compared with the google phone.

Speaking of nvidia/tegra... nvidia's GM of their Mobile Business Unit recently ruffled some nerdfeathers when he stated Windows CE was prefereable to android for the smartbook market... >>source

It shouldnt be too upsetting though. Windows CE has been around on mobile platforms for years, thus manufacturers have been able to better understand and optmise it to achieve their ends. If Android has the market draw, they'll eventually figure it out for that too :p

mtfbwya

a simple "jailbreaking will void your warranty so its on your head if you mess with it" is more than enough. I'm sure there are people out there who think its a fantastic idea (from a functionality perpective).

For both viewpoints, the warranty issue is the only thing that matters, legally

Actually Apple has stated back in February that jailbreaking the Iphone is considered copyright infringement and thus illegal, so it goes a bit beyond voiding the warranty...

Actually Apple has stated back in February that jailbreaking the Iphone is considered copyright infringement and thus illegal, so it goes a bit beyond voiding the warranty...

Apple *wants* it to be illegal you mean?? It is as yet untested and unratified (in a court o' law)

Apple filed for an exemption of contract with the DMCA Copyright Infringement Office. Heres the actual filing in a pdf if you are a legal eagle

Does that mean theyre going to prosecute Woz for jailbreaking Kathy Griffin's iphone ??

Unless they are willing to enforce it at grassroots level, the legal infringement is more of a discouragement for those thrilseekers who brick their iphones trying to jailbreak it, and then take it back to the vendor crying foul..

In other news... remember that Asus Mars GTX 295..... whilst not a complete review by any means, ocaholic have put up some more details on it... the one that makes the hardware people drool being the world record breaking 25,000+ on 3DMark...

Then there was the Computex Demo vid of 2xMARs running in Quad SLI... where they got Far Cry 2 running at QUAD-HD aka 3840 x 2160 (or 2160p).

These cards are a 1000 issue limited release and will cost $1700 USD :(

Personally, Id prefer to wait for the GT300 :thmbup1: I also would really like to know where the heck you can get a Quad HD monitor... 1600p just doesnt sound sexeh enough anymore :p

mtfbwya

ooh yummy... HTC just launched the HTC Hero smartphone. An android based device with some interface tweaks from HTC (called the sense UI) ... and more importantly - it is the first android based smartphone to support flash..

here's what it looks like...

htc-hero-press-6.jpg

More pics and info, including video of Sense UI features >> HERE

Some more detailed info about flash capabilities, in this hands on demo video from Adobe

I must admit...me likey ;) I wonder how much an unlocked one will cost when it hits the etailers.....

Still, It will be interesting to see some more thorough, indepedendent review vids which should start to trickle out over the next few days

mtfbwya

Archived