Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The slant is so the voice receiver can pick up the voice easier (...) .

Can't wait to see what 7 is like, though, when I saw it in my tech class, it looked like Vista with some things added and deleted, but all together it looked like a nice OS.

Looks good and all...but what's up with the awkward slant at the bottom?

1. Aesthetics

2. Grip (especially fifth digit)

3. Aesthetics

A few mm up or down is not going to affect the receiver mic - we've been managing fine without it til now :D

I'd have to actually hold one before I can say its awkward or not. You can only get so much from a piccie :thmbup1:

mtfbwya

Here's some not-so-good news for those of us waiting for the GT300.... 40nm silicon yields at TSMC are down so much that it looks like this much awaited GPU will be released later than many would have liked.... >>source

:violin: At this rate, I'll be getting that upgrade circa Q2 2010 :(:p

Also, it seems nvidia are eager to cash in on the success of the Ion platform, and are plowing on ahead to Ion2 which will feature a GT200M equivalent chipset and be DirectX 10.1 compliant.. In sale in time for Xmas apparently... >>source

mtfbwya

Definitely disappointing news about the GT300. Looks like TSMC execs were blowing smoke up NVIDIA arses when they claimed that they had fixed the issues with the 40nm process during Computex. I'm sure GlobalFoundries are drooling with anticipation at the potential opportunity TSMC has opened up for them. :smirk2:

Don't know if you read another BSN article from June 18 where NVIDIA's CEO says his company is seriously evaluating GlobalFoundries.

Char, that site is quoting the expreview interview with the nvidia CEO which I linkied to earlier, and you already read and quoted! :)

In other news, Windows7 RTM date has been touted for July 13, which isnt far away at all... I hope they put the sidebar back they way I like it damnit :p

mtfbwya

Downloading the Win7 RC just now, I've got a 30Gb partition to play around with, I take it I can dual-boot it with XP no problem?

Downloading the Win7 RC just now, I've got a 30Gb partition to play around with, I take it I can dual-boot it with XP no problem?

Yup. It has the same bootloader as Vista, so will recognise the XP install and list it as 'Earlier Version of Windows' You can use Easy BCD to tweak this as you desire (as described in dual boot thread)

Other than that, if you just want a general play around(no gaming), it'd be quicker/easier to do a virtual install using the virtualisation app of your choosing - Im using MS Virtual PC for one Virtualisation instance - with no hassles. I like how you can move the mouse around freely without locking and unlocking it.

What's wrong with the sidebar???

You know how you can switch the sidebar dock on and off in vista ? The dock doesnt freakin exist in W7 :( In W7, the gadgets will autodock if they are on the side, but they wont be 'always on top' like the dock in vista could be. This probably isnt a huge issue for many, but those of us that always had the dock dont have this option anymore.. Im not sure why they removed it. Vista allowed you the on/off flexibility. I myself use it with the sidelauncher gadget which has about 40 icons (to reduce desktop clutter) Now, when I open anything else, it sits over the gadgets, and I cant access to all my sidelauncher icons. :violin:

A little niggle, but an annoying one :D There were some people who figured out a way to override this in build 7000, but I havent seen anything for RC yet.. Also, Im not sure if this has changed in subsequent builds/RTM

Im still happy to stay on Vista for my gaming rig. My tablet/htpc have windows7, and have no need of the sidebar ;)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have ever wanted to know what android is like... the Live Android team have been working on and android Live CD/Live USB build so you can have a play around. Easiest way to have a quick looksee would be to install it as a virtual machine in the virtualisation app your choosing ;)

You can download the .iso here

http://code.google.com/p/live-android/

7-14-09liveandroid.jpg

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

W7 was officially RTMd in an announcement at Windows Team Blog

Of course, as mentioned previously - some oems have had their mits on Build 7600 since earlier this month, with the subsequent delay being to complete some language nuances.

I actually havent received it yet as my technet contact wont be getting it until Early August IIRC. No biggie. RC1 is working pretty well on my htpc/tablet, and free 'til March 2010 :)

Expect to see store PCs/laptops become awash with W7 in short order ;)

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Some more news on the Zune HD for those interested, this time from gadgetry site Cnet. longstoryshort version: the guy was impressed :p

zunehd_540x405.png

In other news, GPU manufacturers BFG have released versions of the 285/295 with self contained watercooling units. They are stated to 'run 30C cooler' than air coolers. I havent seen any proper reviews on this yet. Theyre likely to not be cheap either :p

bfg-gtx-295-liquid-cooling.jpg

Probably soething for the overclock crowd to drool over. In my experience, the 295s large central fan(in single pcb version) does a great job. It will be interesting to see if that '30C cooler' transfers into actual gameplay/apps performance, or power savings

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Fans of Equip Vert, aka Team Green aka nvidia may be interested to know that they are embarking on yet another naming convention change.

This one is less dramatic and will see to teh dropping of GT/S/X etc prefixes - everything will be Geforce 2xx or 3xx. Im sure manufacturers will try add on letters and numbers to make their product some more awsome like the XFX GEFORCE 300 XXX EXTREME OC EDITION :D

mtfbwya

*sigh* Hopefully this changeover gets handled better than the last one did. I didn't have a problem with NVIDIA's naming convention per se. My biggest complaint was that they renamed G80/G92 cards such that they appeared to be GT200 cards when they weren't, e.g. 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ to GTS 250. So will the GeForce GTS 250 now be rebadged to GeForce 180? IMHO it doesn't make much sense to do that now that the damage is done. I just want NVIDIA to make their naming convenstion sensible going forward. Any new G92 cards named GeForce 1xx, any new GT200 cards named GeForce 2xx, and GT300 cards named GeForce 3xx.

Archived