Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

Is AMD's new RV670 chip going to be produced as the HD3800?

Seems like it, I read in an article they wanted to step away from the HD2000 name because it didn't impress much...True, false? I dunno. But that seems to be the name they're going for.

In other news:

There's an article on the first Intel Penryn (45nm) chip here

It's the Quad Extreme version though, so not your average Joe chip, they did a few benchies and an OC as well and they seem quite impressed with the first 45nm chip out there...It runs quite cool and uses less juice apparently, now let's just see AMD get their finger out and actually roll out some good hm?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lolz...after being reminded of the workings of the human eye, thanks to Jae's very informative post, Ive all of a sudden become very disinterested in the GT or anything for that matter. Im strictly applying a "does it do 60fps at 1080-1600p" rule to any game I buy now... my guess is my GTS will serve me for a whiles to come.

I think Im slowly breaking free of my CPU upgrade obsession... we're planning to go see the pyramids next year, so more spending money for me :D

but we'll see how the GTS handles crysis :p

mtfbwya

I think Im slowly breaking free of my CPU upgrade obsession... we're planning to go see the pyramids next year, so more spending money for me :D

The way I see it is that nothing can really bottleneck your CPU as quickly as it'll bottleneck your RAM or HDD or GPU or whatever...So unless you're running an absolute dinosaur, you should be good for at least a few more years (and I recall you've got an X2 6000+ so that'll cut it for a wee while yet I'm sure...plus the socket AM2 is supposed to hold all AM2+ and AM3 CPUs as well so even then you wouldn't even have to change you mobo)

OT: Watch out in Egypt it absolutely scorches there and you'll be surrounded by armed guards to visit the Piramids (Israel is just around the corner after all and they loves to shoot the Arab peoples yes they do)[/strong political opinion]

^^^

That's because the Arabs just love to don suits of C4 and nails when they use the Isreali public transportation system. :D

Both sides are vicious killers; the Isrealis are just more efficient.[/rebuttal] ;)

Negsun & Q>> this is the tech area. Need I say more about wandering RIDICULOUSLY off topic?? Wander off to the senate chambers if you want to discuss such topics, sensibly.

OT:

Looks like the OLPC(one laptop per child) project got a great boost with the recent release of the Asus Eee.... a laptop for $400US

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4055

Great lappie for students..runs Linux of course ;)

*Processor: Intel Celeron M ULV 900MHz

*Graphics: Integrated Intel GMA 900 GPU

*Storage: 4GB of Flash-based storage (SSD)

*Memory: 512MB of DDR2 RAM (667MHz)

*Screen: 7-inch screen with 800 x 480 resolution

*Ports: 3 USB 2.0, 1 VGA monitor out, headphone jack, microphone input, SD card reader (SDHC compatible), Kensington lock slot, Ethernet 10/100

*Webcam (0.3 MP)

*Battery: 4-cell 5200 mAh 7.4V Li-Ion (rated at 3.5 hours)

*Wireless: 802.11b/g Atheros

*Input: Keyboard and Touchpad

*Weight: approximately 2 lbs with battery, 2.5 lbs travel weight with AC adapter.

27838.jpg

Im not being facetious when I say its good to see linux being utilised in such a way. Software support will most likely be provided by the vendors, though as its designed for general use, shouldnt encounter massive issues Id imagine. No "OMG...IM not getting full DX10 lighting effects in Crysis with nvidia driver version 16x.xx..." :p

mtfbwya

well, Nvidia is about to lose a lot of wind out of their sales with the 8800 GT. the "new" Radeon 3800 series launch is soon upon us (November 19), and the prices will range from $150 -$179 for the 3850 and $200 - $230 for the 3870 series. this will put the new Radeons in an excellent price range for mainstream buyers, and the performance is supposed to be on par or better than the current 2900 XT's. and since these cards use a 55nm GPU, its my guess that overclocking is going to be a dream. :D

source

@ Astro, sorry about that ;)

Asus seem keen on stepping up to play in the big league, and they're quite right! I personally haven't used Asus but I've never heard a bad word about them either (I've been using MSI products for many years now and will continue to do so cause I'm familiar with their BIOS and all that, it doesn't have all the latest tricks and maybe isn't as popular, but it works for me and I like them :) )

well, Nvidia is about to lose a lot of wind out of their sales with the 8800 GT. the "new" Radeon 3800 series launch is soon upon us (November 19), and the prices will range from $150 -$179 for the 3850 and $200 - $230 for the 3870 series. this will put the new Radeons in an excellent price range for mainstream buyers, and the performance is supposed to be on par or better than the current 2900 XT's. and since these cards use a 55nm GPU, its my guess that overclocking is going to be a dream. :D

source

Good read that, here's hoping the bechies and reviews are favorable to them and it looks AMD/Ati are at least back in the GPU race for the win...

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^

well, the 790X/FX boards are impressive enough for me to recommend them over Intel's X38 which is currently the only real competition feature-wise. so, i think its kind of a so-so idea to put a multi-GPU card on the market when you can just get two 3850's on a 790X/FX board probably for less money and still have very similar performance.

granted, that's not going to help if you want a C2D proc, but i still think its the best solution. besides, its my guess that ATI desperately needs to put out a card that can truely challenge the 8800 GTX. so, i guess this card fills that void, but i still don't think that its the best solution. ;)

I dunno... even if it did work out 'cheaper than a 8800' to get a sli/x-fire setup going... it has been proven *over* and *over* that such link interfacing setups only really deliver at high rez setups.. (except crysis!) If someone wants to be ''1337 pwnage'' at 1280x1024, they should save their money(and electricity) and stick to a single decent card.

mtfbwya

^^^^

indeed, and it looks something like this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:xp:

there's always a fine balance between what the consumer is willing to spend based on what kind of benefits (or the perception thereof) that the supplier is providing. it really all boils down to basic economics of supply and demand. there is a point in which every consumer wants something but is only willing to spend so much for that something, and at the same time, suppliers are only willing to sell for so little depending on how much profit they want to make on the product.

obviously, they want big profits from their products, and that's where marketing (aka hyping) comes in. by hyping a product, they can increase how much the consumer is willing to spend.

that can be applied to any consumer/supplier scenario, and the computer hardware industry is no different. pricing is always based on how much consumers are willing to spend for something that really doesn't cost that much to produce.

a prime example of this is Nvidia's GeForce 8800 series of cards. despite being on the market for well over a full year now, the GTS, GTX, and Ultra 8800's really haven't changed much in price outside of the initial markups. the main reason is that most gamers i've seen have been more than willing to put the money down for those cards even though price hasn't changed. given how long the cards have been in production, you would expect lower prices, but as long as people are willing to spend the money, prices will stay where they are.

obviously, prices are going to come down (finally) due to the 8800 GT and the new Radeon 3800's, but i find it rather amusing that people have been willing to spend upwards of $500 for a video card that's been on the market for well over a full year.

anyways, i think that's enough rambling on my part for today. :D

Here's a couple of updates:

Steam goes old school

No exactly hardware but worth mentioning I believe, it's good that people look back at older titles (especially in the LA lineup) and bring them back to life...I just hope they actually work on XP or Vista lolz

First look at the Phenom 9600

What else can I say? It's still way too early to draw any real conclusions yet though, but we all knew AMD had to come out extremely strong to start and rival C2D Quads...

The R680, need I say more?

Holy mackerel this is one huge card! It looks very sexy though, but looking at the power connectors it also looks like it might eat your PSU for breakfast...Here's some more (and better) pics...

lolz.... those old school titles wont get off the ground in xp let alone vista until they write a decent emulation platform from scratch.

(if anyone replies to that linking to <insert ridiculous homebrew app that does a half assed job> I will laser beam their face with my death-ray goggles that tk made for me)

The R680.... being a smallform fan, not my first choice - it would never fit in my case !!

With the 8800GT going slim n sleek, you'd think ATI would follow suit.

Ah well, If you didnt like gaming, you could use it as weapon to smack burglars in the head with LD

AMD is so environment/energy conscious in their engineering outlook and design, I was hoping it would have rubbed off on the ATI peeps...maybe not ??

mtfbwya

EDIT: I think NegSun has displayed great comittment to being the tech area's roving reporter, so I am honoring his original request to have this stickied. Keep up the great work, ya wee devil ;)

Here's a couple of updates:

Steam goes old school

No exactly hardware but worth mentioning I believe, it's good that people look back at older titles (especially in the LA lineup) and bring them back to life...I just hope they actually work on XP or Vista lolz

I think it's a great idea but I'm not sure LucasArts is on board with it. LA seems to be in the back of the pack when it comes to digital download of their games. The only game one can dl right now is SWG and that game was only made available for purchase and dl a few months ago on Direct2Drive.

The R680, need I say more?

Holy mackerel this is one huge card! It looks very sexy though, but looking at the power connectors it also looks like it might eat your PSU for breakfast...

No kidding! I guess with two onboard GPU's one shouldn't be surprised and the article did say they expected the card to draw in the neighborhood of 200W. Yikes! I like the idea of two GPU's on a single card but I don't want to use a solution that consumes more than 100-125W.

EDIT: I think NegSun has displayed great comittment to being the tech area's roving reporter, so I am honoring his original request to have this stickied. Keep up the great work, ya wee devil ;)

lolz is that some Scottish I spy there? :D

No kidding! I guess with two onboard GPU's one shouldn't be surprised and the article did say they expected the card to draw in the neighborhood of 200W. Yikes! I like the idea of two GPU's on a single card but I don't want to use a solution that consumes more than 100-125W.

Same here, it's just as pointless as going Sli or XFire IMO, save getting a new mobo...

Here's a longer article on the Phenom and the whole 'Spider' platform, with some nice pics of 4 HD3800's in Quad Xfire and such...

Amazon wants to re-invent the book...

And fails miserably IMO, nothing will ever beat buying a good 'ol paperback for those long train journeys I think.

lolz is that some Scottish I spy there? :D

Amazon wants to re-invent the book...

And fails miserably IMO, nothing will ever beat buying a good 'ol paperback for those long train journeys I think.

lolz, being as Oz Turkish Cypriot makes me a bit removed from being Scottish, but my GF is actually - clan Morrison - aye !

I dont mind the e-reader at all. I've used a pda for ebooks/audiobooks since 2002. I think the cost for that unit is a bit prohibitive atm, you could get an older pda with large screen for 1/4 of that price off ebay etc. Places like mobipocket are already prolific e-book online sellers.

But its the way of the future, mark my words !! Here's why :

*Libraries will never be out of the books you want !

*Getting a rarer book will be easier. Those is further flung places have difficulty getting certain titles, and have to buy online, pay heavy postage etc

*Paper saving is good for the environment :)

*Has anyone tried carrying more than 3-4 books aroudn in their bag, no room left for anything else !! No such problem with such a gadget.

*Being in digital form, books are cheaper to distribute, no print costs

*Hardcovers ! ugh. hyper inflated price and dimensions - never again

*Libraries/schools/universities can save space.

Cons:

*those in the printing industry will have significantly less to do, or be out of a job. Still, when youre relying on 500 year old technology to make your living, you need to skill up for the inevitable, IMO

*the phrase "curl up with a good book" will need to be amended :p

mtfbwya

Archived