Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

I'll see your GX2 and raise you an ATI R680, featuring dual GPU's and an estimated USD$400-500 price tag. Heh. Bet you didn't think I would pull an ATI card out, did ya? ;)

Awesome, I'd seen some pics of it before though I can't wait to see some reviews of it...

Mo news:

Like screens? How's about an 82" Samsung at UHD (3840x2160) resolution ?

SSD PC becoming a reality!

One of the main weak links in a modern PC can usually be your hard drive, as whatever the other components do they sometimes still have to wait on your HDD to crunch away and get all that data read or written...SSD (Solid State Drive) is like a flash USB card, but with loads more storage, and it's kicking traditional HDDs in the groin by breaking records all over the place! Keep an eye out for this stuff, once it's more affordable it's probably gonna be your next Hard Drive ;)

Last but not least:

Blu-Ray + HD-DVD on the same disc!

I'm not too sure what to make of this yet, but it would certainly solve some headaches for companies trying to decides whether to release their movies or games on either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD...

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SSD PC becoming a reality!

One of the main weak links in a modern PC can usually be your hard drive, as whatever the other components do they sometimes still have to wait on your HDD to crunch away and get all that data read or written...SSD (Solid State Drive) is like a flash USB card, but with loads more storage, and it's kicking traditional HDDs in the groin by breaking records all over the place! Keep an eye out for this stuff, once it's more affordable it's probably gonna be your next Hard Drive ;)

Well that was bound to happen, I think, as by now many peepz have found out that sticking the swap/pagefile on a USB sticky greatly speeds up things. The SSD will be one of the more notable changes, especially since it handles better and a lot more safely than regular HDs with all their jiggly moving bits in them. ;)

Mac lover that I am.. I couldn't agree with you more... Unless you have a specific need for a Mac (or it's proggies), they just aren't (sadly) a viable option in today's computer market.

Wow. And this is coming from someone who loves Macs. I think the Mac guy just got that kick in the nuts that Astro always wanted to give him :xp: -and it came from Chainz of all people. What the hell is this world coming to?

@NS: IIRC, Char El mentioned something about SSDs quite a while back, and they are an exciting topic indeed. Imagine an HDD with an access time measured in nanoseconds, and with no moving parts that can wear out over time. They're bound to be prohibitively expensive at first, though.

Wow. And this is coming from someone who loves Macs. I think the Mac guy just got that kick in the nuts that Astro always wanted to give him :xp: -and it came from Chainz of all people. What the hell is this world coming to?...

lolz, it wasnt the mac guy I wanted to kick in the nuts, it was the creator of those ads, for doing not much about being informative. An ad that featured what Macs are good at would have been more informative, rather than one that harped on gripes with PCs.

love that UHD screen - but even I must admit - OLED > LCD. More energy effcient too.... Since no GPU can kick ass in even 1600p, theres plenty o' time for me me to plan bank heists to get a 8MP 82" OLED, whenever theyre released.

@MJ - I wouldnt even bother pitching the Mac to the missus.... I think she'd prefer to be serenaded by your guitar than lose you for hours point'n'clickin and cursing how you could do all that stuff for 1/3 the price on a PC :D

mtfbwya

@NS: IIRC, Char El mentioned something about SSDs quite a while back, and they are an exciting topic indeed. Imagine an HDD with an access time measured in nanoseconds, and with no moving parts that can wear out over time. They're bound to be prohibitively expensive at first, though.

It boots XP in 20 seconds FFS!

No time to make yourself tea or coffee anymore while the PC is booting lolz :)

@MJ - I wouldn't even bother pitching the Mac to the missus.... I think she'd prefer to be serenaded by your guitar than lose you for hours point'n'clickin and cursing how you could do all that stuff for 1/3 the price on a PC :D

mtfbwya

lolz - The Mira of Miras is all for a flashy, nifty macsy. Getting just another comp and just another guitar is the hard part. :guiness:

Dear, what do you want with yet another guitar? Haven't you got quite enough? Why another blue one, anyway? Why don't you just have one of yours re-painted [sic]? And that MacIntosh is sooooooo lovely...........

Continue ad lib...

Here's a couple more interesting ones:

MSI says: "no more old school BIOS!"

Interesting stuff, but I wonder if it'll catch on, making the BIOS more graphical and usable might lead to more noobs trying to mess with it and thus terminating their computers, execution style hiya!

Catalyt 8.1 + hotfix(lolz) released!

I wonder if stinger could confirm if they're any good on those games...

Behold the 8800GS, eh?

I wonder if the guys at nVidia themselves know what G to us with what S or X, or was it a T?

The BIOS (= Basic Input Output System) already is a very very small, rudimentary sort of operating system. Also, full operating systems hard coded on chips have quite a long history. The hard disk installed OSs we're using these days are not really ideal, technically speaking.

well, it hasn't launched yet, but the 3870X2 is getting some interesting press. for starters, Asus jumped the gun on the launch with what appears to be a much better cooling solution than the reference design.

and of course, we also have the first review of the card as well. here's the results in a nutshell:

1210234_R680vs8800U_080120.jpg

basically, it beats the GeForce 8800Ultra in every test except Crysis, Lost Planet, and NFS: Pro Street. granted, that's with the 8.1 drivers, too which means there's improvement with further driver updates.

no word on power consumption, but its supposed to be just slightly worse than the 2900XT. still, its sale price is expected to be about $400 USD, probably just a bit higher, but its still less than the 8800 Ultra.

my take: AMD finally has a product that can go toe-to-toe with Nvidia's best. if it was only available earlier....

well, it hasn't launched yet, but the 3870X2 is getting some interesting press. for starters, Asus jumped the gun on the launch with what appears to be a much better cooling solution than the reference design.

and of course, we also have the first review of the card as well.

~snippedy snip the huge pic~

basically, it beats the GeForce 8800Ultra in every test except Crysis, Lost Planet, and NFS: Pro Street. granted, that's with the 8.1 drivers, too which means there's improvement with further driver updates.

no word on power consumption, but its supposed to be just slightly worse than the 2900XT. still, its sale price is expected to be about $400 USD, probably just a bit higher, but its still less than the 8800 Ultra.

my take: AMD finally has a product that can go toe-to-toe with Nvidia's best. if it was only available earlier....

Thanks for that stinger, that card is serious business, nice job from AMD, and hopefully a good start for a better year for them.

Can you imagine two of those in CrossFire (with the right drivers of course) :)

TGDaily reports that Microsoft has shipped Milestone 1 of Windows 7 to "key partners."

One of the features mentioned is the ability for this version of Windows to support a "heterogeneous graphics system consisting of multiple graphics cards from different vendors." I believe that means the OS will have the ability to natively use multiple graphics cards to render the display, even if the graphics cards are not the same make and model. Not 100% sure though. :)

Also mentioned is that the OS is targeted for release in the second half of 2009, though Microsoft wouldn't comment on that. I know Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said the time gap that occured between Windows XP's release and the release of Windows Vista would never happen again but I'll believe it when it actually happens. :smirk2:

no word on power consumption....

why the heck would they! Unless AMD are rolling out some engineering breakthoughs, how can a GX2 card be more power friendly than a single GPU/PCB card, high end or no.!

As a tried and tested GX2 user, I can officially say they are not much fun, from a power consumption point of view, and cumbersome to have in a rig when superceded by a superior single GPU/PCB offering.

I doubt AMD will want to rest on their laurels with that one.

mtfbwya

TGDaily reports that Microsoft has shipped Milestone 1 of Windows 7 to "key partners."

Interesting...I also read that they want to take Windows back to basics so it wouldn't be such a resource hog all the time (if you look at how long it takes XP or Vista to load, you know what I mean), will they be able to do it? Time will tell...

Here's another couple of items:

VIA announces "Isaiah" CPU

^ I like the name of it lolz, but if it's to compete with AMD or even Intel even in the low-end market, it's still got a long way to go IMO.

Shuttle goes 45nm with Intel

^ Looks quite interesting if you want to go for a next-gen Intel CPU (note: Astro, remind me to pick your brain about Shuttles again, I'm still toying with the idea if it should be my next rig or not :p )

Interesting...I also read that they want to take Windows back to basics so it wouldn't be such a resource hog all the time (if you look at how long it takes XP or Vista to load, you know what I mean), will they be able to do it? Time will tell...
Hey Negs, you have to give them some time to get the latest stable kernel running properly in their distro. I mean, they're n00bs, so we really can't expect them to flawlessly run KDE 4.0 right away. :p

Hey Negs, you have to give them some time to get the latest stable kernel running properly in their distro. I mean, they're n00bs, so we really can't expect them to flawlessly run KDE 4.0 right away. :p

lolz, touche ;)

Using sound waves for better coolig, eh?

^ Sounds interesting, if it really increases performance then it's quite good obviously...I just wonder what the retail price would be.

HD3870 X2 very attractive both performance and price wise.

^ I looks like AMD really does have a winner on their hand here, with a GPU that outperforms the 8800 Ultra and is a couple hundred $$$ cheaper...

HD3870 X2 break 3dMark 06 record!

^ For those who think it isn't fast enough at stock speeds, here's some action of it OC'ed with watercooling and breaking records :)

Shuttle goes 45nm with Intel

^ Looks quite interesting if you want to go for a next-gen Intel CPU (note: Astro, remind me to pick your brain about Shuttles again, I'm still toying with the idea if it should be my next rig or not :p )

pick away negsun ;) and check out http://www.shuttle.com while youre at it. All 3 of my rigs are shuttles at home. Apart from being wonderfully engineered and great to work in, using them has made a discernable impact on my electricity bill too.

I thoroughly recommend them to people asking, and for those that ask me to build a gaming/home theater pc, simply wont use anything else! Pretty, small, powerful but efficient - awesome kit IMO ;)

mtfbwya

pick away negsun ;) and check out http://www.shuttle.com while youre at it. All 3 of my rigs are shuttles at home. Apart from being wonderfully engineered and great to work in, using them has made a discernable impact on my electricity bill too.

I thoroughly recommend them to people asking, and for those that ask me to build a gaming/home theater pc, simply wont use anything else! Pretty, small, powerful but efficient - awesome kit IMO ;)

mtfbwya

Check thy PMs ;)

Fancy spending £23,000GBP (or $45,500USD)?

This PC can help you do that...Wow, talk about overpricing, the comments speak volumes really.

Or if you'd rather get a new PC instead of a house, sell your current one and buy one of these...Seriously, £375,000BGP ($740,000USD) for it and all you get is a 7200GS!!! *speechless*

Or if you'd rather get a new PC instead of a house, sell your current one and buy one of these...Seriously, £375,000BGP ($740,000USD) for it and all you get is a 7200GS!!! *speechless*

Im sure P-Diddy has one of those....:D Youd think they couldve upped the price and thrown in an 8800GT at least...a 7200 is crap! Still, for someone that is that vain and rich, playing 1337 Crysis probably isnt on their list of to-dos :p

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

More news peeps:

S3 and VIA making S3 Graphics DX10.1 GPUs

^ I find it extremely ironic to make DX10.1 GPUs with a 64-bit memory interface for the low-end market where you'll be using DX10.1 about as much as a rabbit uses toilet paper...Even the high end can't take DX10 to it's full potential, so why put these features on cards that'll never use them?

Here's a thought, let NVidia buy AMD, yay!

^ Seriously, wtf? How will this help anyone besides Intel as it'll make their stuff more attractive and less confusing if the do end up taking on the high-end GPU market...

AMD says APU is the way to go

^ Way to go and tell Intel what to do again, why can't they just keep their mouths shut and actually make the bloody things instead of yapping about it and letting Intel take all the credit when they release a better and sooner version of it...

It does all seem very promising though, but will it be enough to keep them alive in the next couple of years?

GPGPUs are the way to go as well apparently

^ Seems like the CPU and GPU are coming closer together indeed, and I think it's just a matter of time before a company releases a hybrid so purely awesome that it will eliminate the need for both and effectively merge all our processing power in one, whether it be graphics or number crunching...

hehe, will do Astro :)

Microsoft giving away free stuff for students (damn those students!)

^ Quite cool cause all those programs would cost you a small fortune in retail...I didn't know Bill Gates was stepping down either...

Triple-Core Phenoms in sight?

^ And quite cheap too, if rumours are to be believed, here's hoping AMD sorted out that L3 cache problem and give us some decent performance at a really low price...Call me Mr Cynical but the fact that they're showing up in Mesh PCs doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Agressive price cuts from AMD to counter nVidia's 9 Series

^ If the HD3850/3870s weren't insane bargains before, they sure as hell are now, especially since some leaked benchies show that the 9600GT isn't exactly up to spec with even the 8800GT, and I'm liking the joke that goes around saying that Ati did the 9600 years ago and mastered it then :)

Agressive price cuts from AMD to counter nVidia's 9 Series

^ If the HD3850/3870s weren't insane bargains before, they sure as hell are now, especially since some leaked benchies show that the 9600GT isn't exactly up to spec with even the 8800GT, and I'm liking the joke that goes around saying that Ati did the 9600 years ago and mastered it then :)

From what I've read about the 9600 GT so far I am poised to be greatly disappointed in NVIDIA's newest mainstream card. Still no DirectX 10.1 support? Simply no excuse for that. :disaprove I'll wait and see what comes out tomorrow before I pass final judgment but right now the 9600 GT isn't looking all that great to me.

Archived