Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still no DirectX 10.1 support? Simply no excuse for that. :disaprove

lolz. Who is using 10.1? DX10 only games are barely coming together... I dont see that many devs have embraced 10.1... I daresay the SDK has been finalised in any event.

So apart from 'wank factor'(bragging you have a 10.1 card) the practicality of it really doesnt warrant such rampant disappointment :D

A card's success is made or broken on its benchies vs price. Simple :p

mtfbwya

Samsung apparently is putting a lot of R&D into SSD technology

On another topic, Yang cited explosive demand in the enterprise server market that caught his company by surprise. "At first it just sounded like an interesting idea," he said. But then demand took off. As Yang explained, companies like Citibank and American Express peg server performance on IOPS or input/output operations per second. "HDDs do 120 to 150 IOPS. SSDs 10,000 to 30,000 IOPS." Because of this overwhelming speed advantage many large corporate customers are opting for SSDs, despite the significant price premium SSDs command compared with HDDs.

Regarding cost, Yang expects to see a 35 percent to 45 percent year-to-year drop in SSD prices. This will be a welcome relief since 64GB SSDs currently can add as much as $900 to the price of a notebook PC.

In the third quarter, Samsung is slated to bring out a 128GB SSD based on MLC (multi-level cell) technology--which uses multiple levels per cell to allow more bits to be stored. But the company sees even larger-capacity SSDs, ranging all the way up to 250GB, possibly before the end of the year.

Source: CNET

Maybe this means I'll be able to afford a SSD next year. :nod:

I can't wait for SSDs to become cheaper cause they pwn current HDDs in pretty much every way...

Here's some news that's on pretty much every tech site now:

Intel making 6-Core 45nm Penryn CPUs!

^ What else can I say but: Ouch!

CrossFireX preview

^ Up to 3X more improvement can be a good thing I suppose, especially at those ultra high resolutions (2,560x1,600) that only some wackos would ever use :p

Here's some news that's on pretty much every tech site now:

Intel making 6-Core 45nm Penryn CPUs!

^ What else can I say but: Ouch!

my problem with more and more cores on a processor is simply this: most software is still single-threaded. without a lot of multithreaded apps out there, adding more and more cores to a CPU isn't going to add a lot of performance. IMHO, the only great thing about the hex-core is the insane amount of L2 and L3 cache. with that much cache on hand, those processors are going to be faster than the current quad-cores.

most software is still single-threaded. without a lot of multithreaded apps out there, adding more and more cores to a CPU isn't going to add a lot of performance.
Of course the OS will still load balance multiple single-threaded applications across the multiple cores. But you're right, going from 1/4 thread load to 1/6 thread load is less impressive than dropping the load by 1/2 by switching from single to dual-core or dropping from 1/2 to 1/4 via quad core.

... Up to 3X more improvement can be a good thing I suppose, especially at those ultra high resolutions (2,560x1,600) that only some wackos would ever use :p

c'mon negsun, envy is not good for your soul...you know you want such a monitor. I saved for a year to get it and it was worth it indeed :D Thoigh somewhere in my mind, I will eventually contemplate a 40" version but would prefer OLED because of size/weight/less power.

Its good to see your eyes are opening to the benefits of SLI/XF, though being a power efficiency nut and Im unlikely to ever go for it, unless they make ultra efficient single pcb cards that will fit in an SLI smallform.... (Im shudder to think at the cost of such a setup, especially with x4/DDR3 added in)

mtfbwya

cmon negsun, envy is not good for your soul...you know you want such a monitor. I saved for a year to get it and it was worth it indeed :D

lolz, 30" or whatever you've got is a bit too big for me dude, after seeing a very nice 22" panel in action, the Samsung SyncMaster 2232-BW, I'm sure it'll be more than sufficient enough for me, it's very pretty plus it won't need a monster of a GPU if I fancy doing some gaming :)

well, some interesting news from the Inquirer today. they were allowed to run a 3DMark06 benchmark on the upcoming GeForce 9800 GX2 with what is supposed to be the stock speeds. problem is that its putting up a modest 14400 score. if that's the case, then the 3870X2 could remain the top card for a while until ATI overtakes themselves with the upcoming R780-based cards.

granted, you do have to take this news with a grain of salt since we don't know what the rest of the hardware is on the system they used, but a 14400 score just isn't all that much better than ye ol' 8800 GTX.

article here

It did strike me as odd that they released the lower-end version before their new flagship card, but if that's even close to what their next flagship's gonna be then I feel bad for their fleet :xp:

It'll get a pummeling from AMD/Ati price/performance wise, especially with all the aggressive price cuts AMD is churning out these days...The 8800GT is pretty much all that nVidia has going for them these days.

AMD sticks it to Intel via integrated graphics

AMD's new 780G mobo's are something serious. it has integrated graphics, but this one doesn't suck as per the norm. the integrated chip is sourced from a Radeon 2400, and it gives you excellent HD playback and reasonable gaming performance which is a far cry from just about every other integrated graphics solution i can think of. combine this with Hybrid Crossfire, and you can have a pretty darn good gaming rig. oh, and i dare not mention the insane overclocking headroom on this thing...

well, some interesting news from the Inquirer today. they were allowed to run a 3DMark06 benchmark on the upcoming GeForce 9800 GX2 with what is supposed to be the stock speeds. problem is that its putting up a modest 14400 score. if that's the case, then the 3870X2 could remain the top card for a while until ATI overtakes themselves with the upcoming R780-based cards.

granted, you do have to take this news with a grain of salt since we don't know what the rest of the hardware is on the system they used, but a 14400 score just isn't all that much better than ye ol' 8800 GTX.

article here

That's odd. I've seen 3DMark06 scores like that from a single overclocked 8800GT. :confused:

AMD's new 780G mobo's are something serious. it has integrated graphics, but this one doesn't suck as per the norm. the integrated chip is sourced from a Radeon 2400, and it gives you excellent HD playback and reasonable gaming performance which is a far cry from just about every other integrated graphics solution i can think of. combine this with Hybrid Crossfire, and you can have a pretty darn good gaming rig. oh, and i dare not mention the insane overclocking headroom on this thing...

You could slap in one of those fancy HD3870 on Vapour cooling that Sapphire is making and have a very cool, energy efficient Hybrid Crossfire pwnage machine for very little money...

All that's left is an extremely OC'able CPU from AMD and we're in business :)

Though I'm quite interested in that 4850e they're talking about...Or the Phenom that can OC to 2.8Ghz, I though they couldn't go that high.

AMD's new 780G mobo's are something serious. it has integrated graphics, but this one doesn't suck as per the norm.

ooh yum! the htpc crowd are very excited about this one. Intels highest is GMA 960, which whilst OK for 720i/pp, still will struggle on a 1080i/p display(especially for vista). nvidias highest integrated chipset was 7200(or 7300) last I checked = bollocks for 1080i/p

see good ole AMD, full o damn surprises. I shouldnt be too surprised, AMD has previously announced they were edging into the HTPC market, and have previously shown off prototype AMD branded entire htpcs no less. Of course they also have firmly established their AMD Live suite as well, which is aimed at the htpc crowd and includes Orb(remote access to TV), network magic, the best networking proggie in the world! :)

mtfbwya

Pricing for the GeForce 9800GX2 revealed

well, it now looks like the GF9800 GX2 is going to be a bust. i mean, come on, the MSRP is at $599, and you had better not think that the figure isn't going to get larger when the manufacturers start adding in OC'd versions, exotic cooling, etc. and to top it off, performance is only slightly better than the R3870X2 which can be had for about $450. heck, you could probably get a 3870 and a 3870X2 for the same price and get much better performance.

IMHO, the 9800GX2 is looking to be more and more of a debacle for Nvidia. their only saving grace is the 9600 which is just slightly worse than the 8800GT in performance and costs about the same as a R3850. for now, i'm standing by my prediction that the upcoming R770 launch from AMD is going to put them ahead for the first time since the days of the 9700 Pro and the FX5700 Ultra.

^ Drivers could still be their saving grace though, and full-AA Crysis benchies as it seems to be a weak spot for Ati cards there...But I agree, at that price point you'd expect the GX2 to blow everything else out the water, with at least a 20-25% increase in performance over its closest follower, as it is the difference in price...

OCZ goes sci-fi with commercial brain controller

^ lolz, ain't no way I'm putting that on my head for $300

Intel wants some integrated GPU action!

^ But will probably get none as AMD totally pwns this chipset, and if they can just throw us some good CPUs in as well they might start their long road back to the top again :)

Intel getting beaten by AMD? Oh dear, let's hope there's more of that to come...

AMD sticks new chipset in "Puma" laptop and pwns Intel (again, lolz)

^ Good to see them translating that awesomeness into laptops as well, and if it's decently priced they'll definitely have a winner on their hands.

I read this the other day on bit-tech

So, given that G94 uses the same technology as G92 – just with less of it, you're probably wondering why the GeForce 9600 GT isn't a part of a the GeForce 8-series? The good thing is that this was a question that was on our minds too and, after talking with Ujesh Desai, General Manager for GeForce graphics, at the CES Editor's Day, we were told that the reason was because the G92-based products should have been a part of the GeForce 9-series – the reason they weren't was simply down to timing.

He explained that if Nvidia had launched the GeForce 8800 GT and GeForce 8800 GTS 512 into the GeForce 9-series, it would have killed a large portion of its Q4 sales on products in the GeForce 8-series – not that this didn't happen anyway, since there is very little else worth considering...

So I guess this means the rumors of the 8800 GT getting some clock speed boosts and getting rebadged as 9800 GT will likely turn out to be true. :¬:

I smell an opportunity for AMD to pull ahead with R7xx if they learned from mistakes made with R6xx. We all know that they can do it.

AMD so desperately needs a win.

EDIT -3/14/08: Well, this is a start, but I have my doubts as to whether Phenom will ever be competitive with C2D, even with the TLB bug fixed.

I smell an opportunity for AMD to pull ahead with R7xx if they learned from mistakes made with R6xx. We all know that they can do it.

AMD so desperately needs a win.

EDIT -3/14/08: Well, this is a start, but I have my doubts as to whether Phenom will ever be competitive with C2D, even with the TLB bug fixed.

Even if they pull almost even, with competitive pricing, will still do well. The CPU ceiling seen in benchies is here to stay until games are quad and x64 optimised> ie. another 2 years at least... add to that 2 year formula, enough time for bluray to become standard kit and all the ingredients will be there.

Of course by then, the current hardware configs might be thrown out the window(no pun intended) if the awesome idea of CnGPUs take off. I relish the day when discrete graphics cards will be no longer. All our pcs will look like funky gaming consoles :D

mtfbwya

AMD RV770 here soon?

^ Ooh goodie I can't wait, hope it pwns and they've learned from the HD2000 debacle :)

I really think AMD/Ati's product release schedules suffered greatly from the merger and Intel and nVidia didn't just sit around for them to get it all on track, so hopefully we'll see tighter releases with some killer products more often in the future from them...

well, i've said it once and i'll say it again: the R770 is looking much more promising at the moment than the stuff coming down Nvidia's pipeline. granted, we don't know much about it, but considering that its a brand new architecture that's "better" than the current R6xx series, it should at the least outperform Nvidia's latest which barely outpaces the current R6xx stuff.

combine one of those with a 780G board in hybrid Xfire... :D

Archived