Home

Tech News and Gossip thread...

Negative Sun

tremendous cost aside, 50fps at 2560 isnt bad at all.

On very high quality settings? ;)

And of course, with regards to CPUs, we all wait with baited breath as to what the 3.0GHz+ Phenoms will do...!!

I hope that they can eventually clock that high. For the sake of competition I really do.

ps >> congratski on the 1000!

Thanks! :)

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still, I agree that the efficiency of the G92 coudl be better... Though AMDs comparative GX2 effort is an also-ran as far as high end gaming performance is concerned. I can see AMD carving themselves a niche(as they always have) but they are not likely to topple nvidia in the high end GPU game.
Agreed. G92 is still using a 65nm process while AMD has moved their GPU's to a 55 nm process. I do like NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI concept though. The idea of having a low end on-board GPU coupled with a high-end discrete card that would only kick in when it's processing power is needed appeals to my sense of efficient use of electrical power. :D

On very high quality settings? ;)

COnsidering the *massive* framebuffers associated with filling that many pixels a second, you cant say youre massively surprised they couldnt pull it off yet. I dont anyone thought G92 was a 'crysis killer' > especially nvidia. If that was the case they would have released it much much earlier....!

I dont even think their next line is going to do it either, but will probably get close in SLI.

mtfbwya

I do like NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI concept though.

AMD's already there ;)

I agree it's time for a next generation of cards, and not just re-hashes or double the GPU on one card...Hybrid Crossfire is definitely the height of technology, with the on-board GPU handling the everyday tasks and the discrete one on top of the on-board one handling some gaming...Sounds sweet and energy efficient :)

Sounds like a good idea for a gaming laptop.

funnily enough, the trade off between high performance and energy efficiency is something has been at the core of mobile CPU/CPU design.

Intel got back ontop when they threw out the pipeline heavy netburst architecture and applied their mobile tech design(Pentium M) to develop their Core series.

In the same breath, it can also be said that AMDs mobile equivalent(Turion) are a renowned cool, green and quiet peformer.

Looking at both Intel and AMDs roadmaps, there is more of a convergence between desktop and mobile platforms than has been previously.

The R&D challenges mobile CPU designers face are starting to parallel in deskie versions...as functionality and cost effectiveness demands more kit be crammed onto the same pcb space!

mtfbwya

AMD's already there ;)
That's what I hear. Have you seen any of the new Hybrid Crossfire RS780 motherboards available for purchase yet? I'm interested in seeing what is available and if any of the h/w sites have done performance reviews yet. I'm not sure that Hybrid Crossfire is at a point that I would be interested in it just yet.

That's what I hear. Have you seen any of the new Hybrid Crossfire RS780 motherboards available for purchase yet? I'm interested in seeing what is available and if any of the h/w sites have done performance reviews yet. I'm not sure that Hybrid Crossfire is at a point that I would be interested in it just yet.

I've posted about it in the Hardware Megathread actually, Clicky ;)

More news :)

7 New Phenoms!

^ Thank f***! Looks like AMD's been studying Intel's recent price cuts and is going for the lower end of the market to swoop some of Intel's ground there, good move IMO, if they can't beat the raw Intel power, beat them on value!

It needs to stay really close to the £100 mark if it's to take people's eyes off the Q6600 that's now sitting lower at £145, which it looks like it's doing:

AnandTech's in-depth review of the new Phenoms

^ Very interesting read, and it's good to see AMD is creeping closer to the 3.0Ghz mark, and is finally offering some real competition thanks to it's extremely good pricing towards the Q6600.

HD3850X2 on the way?

^ Rumor atm, but interesting nonetheless, and it would seem to fit in AMD's current strategy...If it manages to bring us a card like that for under £150 then it would just plain pwn the mi-range!

zomg new Eee with 8.9" Touch Screen!!!

^ 1Gb of RAM and 12Gb SSD!!! I wants it!

zomg new Eee with 8.9" Touch Screen!!!

^ 1Gb of RAM and 12Gb SSD!!! I wants it!

ya, with financial year ticking over soon, astro will be giving his current eee back and getting this one... I do think touchscreen is ridiculous unless you can flip the screen around and go tablet style on it >> who wants to reach over a keyboard to write on a touchscreen !! its just doesnt make any sense!

All we need is a hsdpa sim slot and it will be the ubertoy the original OLPC eee could never be :) >>though you can mod it to achieve this with a bit of trickery ;)

Good to see AMD coming into the game with their thinkin caps on. Not overyone wants 60fps at 1600p. The phenoms can do what most people need to do with PCs, and if they can do it cheaper, they have intel beat from a mass market POV......thats where the money's at!

mtfbwya

I do think touchscreen is ridiculous unless you can flip the screen around and go tablet style on it >> who wants to reach over a keyboard to write on a touchscreen !! its just doesnt make any sense!

That's what a keyboard's for Astro ;)

I think the touchscreen could be good for people (like me) who don't like touchpads :)

That's what a keyboard's for Astro ;)

I think the touchscreen could be good for people (like me) who don't like touchpads :)

I dont like touchpads either, but banging my finger on the screen and not being able to use a stylus to write properly is crazy.

mtfbwya

DailyTech - "Creative Says Custom Drivers Are 'Stealing,' Gets Rocked by Protests"

I guess Creative's Vista drivers for its Audigy cards don't have the same level of functionality that its WinXP drivers do. So this guy, daniel_k, has apparently been creating drivers that enable what Creative turned off. Creative apparently isn't very happy about what he's been doing and have now told him to cease and desist.

Anybody got suggestions for a good non-Creative sound card? I've been using Creative products for so long now that I don't even know what else is out there.

well, i know that Asus has a very, very good challenger for the X-Fi, and while it isn't as good for gaming, at least it works well for most operating systems. it also boasts a slightly better feature set and a bit more sound quality.

i like it enough that i'm probably going to use it in my next build (ie, when Crysis 3 is launched and i'll need the equivalent of 4 current day enthusiast systems). XP

I got a shockin set of ears, I dont get fancy sound cards/speakers.. its all noise to me. I think I love quiet too much... I played most of COD4 with the volume off, listening to the purr of my cats instead :p

Crysis 3...lolz....circa 2011 perhaps, and a Windows 8 directX12 exclusive to boot :p

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some new from the Microsoft front this time:

Gates slips up? Windows 7 in '09?

^ Interesting stuff, especially when you look at my next bit of news as well.

Vista has gone wrong in two major points IMO: 1) The god-knows-how-many different versions of it, and 2) The whole Vista-ready debacle.

When Win 7 comes it should be like XP, one "Home" version and a "Pro" one, or one "Lite" (for low-spec or low demanding computing) and one "Uber" version...Learn from Linux and try and reduce all the installation cr*p to a minimum, speed up boot time, comprehensive driver support from the start (I know it's not totally Microsoft's responsibility, but the Ubuntu "just works" theory is quite catchy, and could earn MS some points if they play it right)

With SSDs on the rise, load times should be dropping soon anyways, but making OSes and apps less bloated can certainly make things even better that way.

WinXP just won't die!

^ I don't see Windows complaining about this though...Fact of the matter is: there's absolutely nothing wrong with XP, it's stable, mature and on most modern PCs it'll run extremely smooth...So as long as the actual need for Vista isn't there, or it doesn't offer any significant benefits over XP, it might end up like WinME and just be overshadowed when Win7 comes. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

The clinginess to XP is no surprise... There is a staggering correlation between mass market uptake of PCs into home/work and the introduction of xp... Link this in with increased prevalence of people using the net over the last several years... hence, *alot* of people out there have only ever known xp, and if its workin', why change :)

mtfbwya

Alright, probably the last thing you want is a rant from a die-hard Windows user, so I'm sorry...

I think that people have to give Vista more of a chance. I understand the willingness not to "upgrade" to Vista on an XP machine, but I don't understand why people are so afraid of getting it when they get a new computer. There is honestly nothing wrong with it, and to be frank, I give it way higher marks than XP on almost all fronts. Stability, while not bad on XP, is increased. The help system is greatly improved. Windows update couldn't be better now. The UI is cleaner (not only looks better, but it is more functional when browsing through folders). And there are many other features I love.

I am not suggesting that you go and upgrade your XP machine immediately, but rather, don't hesitate to use a Vista machine when you decide you want to buy a new computer. This is just my personal opinion though...

@urluckday... yes, the vis-hysteria stems from people who were too lazy or dumb to find out if their old school kit was compatible with the new OS. Throw some DRM scaremongering in, and Vista's slow start in the mass market was an inevitability.

I have to admit, in the HTPC world, it was entirely teh opposite!! (usually is)

There was a mass of early vista users... vista media center being inbuilt into HP/Ulti, as well as being far superior to XP Media Center Edition, was polished and ready to from pre public beta, let alone RC1 ;)

I, and many others ran a fully functioning htpc on a pre public beta build for over 4 months without a major hitch.

mtfbwya

Alright, probably the last thing you want is a rant from a die-hard Windows user, so I'm sorry...

I think that people have to give Vista more of a chance. I understand the willingness not to "upgrade" to Vista on an XP machine, but I don't understand why people are so afraid of getting it when they get a new computer. There is honestly nothing wrong with it, and to be frank, I give it way higher marks than XP on almost all fronts. Stability, while not bad on XP, is increased. The help system is greatly improved. Windows update couldn't be better now. The UI is cleaner (not only looks better, but it is more functional when browsing through folders). And there are many other features I love.

I am not suggesting that you go and upgrade your XP machine immediately, but rather, don't hesitate to use a Vista machine when you decide you want to buy a new computer. This is just my personal opinion though...

Tried it (Vista came pre-installed on my laptop), slowed down my games and used way too much memory just idling, switched to XP.

@urluckday... yes, the vis-hysteria stems from people who were too lazy or dumb to find out if their old school kit was compatible with the new OS. Throw some DRM scaremongering in, and Vista's slow start in the mass market was an inevitability.
Exactly. People who haven't switched to Vista are just lazy or dumb :o

^^^^

i don't know how many times i have to tell people this, but Vista uses more memory than XP because of Superfetch. pre-loading the programs you use the most into memory allows that "free" memory to be useful for somthing even during idle. IMHO, that's a very useful feature, especially considering that it does it not just for apps like Firefox and Xfire, but i also noticed that its doing the same for some of my games that i play a lot like Oblivion and Sins of a Solar Empire.

and kudos that you're trying to play games on a laptop. out of curiosity, have you even tried Vista on a high end machine that's designed for gaming?? 50 FPS vs 60 FPS in Unreal III is hardly any difference at all, IMHO. ;)

....Exactly. People who haven't switched to Vista are just lazy or dumb :o

um, nope. any opportunity to be inane, jmac is there.... \o/

lazy and dumb are those who went and bought a copy without checking if their kit was ready. Then they get all red in the face, and make YT vids of them shredding their install disc. stupid.

mtfbwya

Archived