Home

Guild Wars: Jumping is way overrated

Rogue Nine

So yeah, I know that more than a few of us play GW nowadays, thus I say 'Let there be a GW thread!'

Note: This is not to turn into a 'lol WoW/insert other MMO here is better' pissing contest, so don't even try to bring it here, plzkthnxbai.

I've been playing since release in 2005, have all three campaigns plus Eye of the North and play all primary classes except for Mesmers. I'm really heavy into PvE, not so much PvP, cuz I like getting stomped on by level 33 monsters in Hard Mode more than getting stomped on by gosu Korean contract killers in PvP. I'm in an awesome PvE-oriented guild (with Jae!) and we have fun hanging around the guild hall and discussing the latest armor fashions (Norn armor is bringing fur back in style, oyea).

My favorite characters are my Ranger and my Monk. I run a Splinter/Barrage build on my Ranger with Pain Inverter for bosses/eles and it makes things go boom. I run a straight Word of Healing build on my Monk, cuz teammates dying is bad, and I'm really loving Seed of Life and Holy Haste.

So yeah, now that I've babbled on semi-coherently about this, lemme know what you all think! What're your favorite builds? Which campaign do you like the best? Where do you like to farm for phat loot? Do Jora's 'large tracts of land' make you all hot and bothered? Tell me!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! Finally a place for our kind! :D

ztalkerandurilak3.jpg

Since someone commented my last armor (the Luxon one) made me look like a dejected Power Ranger monster, I decided to get me another one. I'll dye it black in a few days, and change my guild cape to black as well.

I just wanted to look like Arthas from WoW, to be honest :xp:

Anyways, favourite build is the Warrior/Necromancer. It has condition removal (even gives it to enemies), enough power, and with those spikes on my armor I don't really have a choice, do I?

Originally Posted by Jason Skywalker

Would you reccomend me GW and give me reasons please? I'm tempted to buy the game and some expansions for Xmas.

Positive (Imo)

Well...to put it bluntly:

Paying a monthly fee gives puts you under pressure. You don't have to pay for Guild Wars, so you can quit for a half year if you please, and pick it up later.

Also, the style is...more realistic. Maybe a bit of Lotr-like with it's Lore and stuff. Also, team-play is not nessecary if you don't want it. It is possible, and you possibly have to team up to face the greatest challenges. But it's not like WoW where 'social pressure' is applied because you can't go anywhere without a guild.

The story is brilliant...

Negative

The game isn't free-roaming like WoW. You won't encounter players outside the main cities. Every outpost is like a standard MMO. But outside, the game loads the map from your hard disk. Unless you party up with people in the towns, you will be alone.

Not as..."big" as WoW. Every weapon can have 3 upgrades: One comes with the weapon (Plus X% when...Y (condition) ) and 2 material upgrades like a Sword Hilt and Pommel.

Heh, I just started, and it's great fun. I like the fact that I don't have to pay monthly fees (can't justify the monthly cost with family and work and all), and I can play with guildmates (thanks Niner!) or I can go solo and take a bunch of Heroes and henchmen if I just want to take my time to meander around and explore the place or kill off a bunch of Iboga to find that last stupid Iboga petal (finally got one today, heh). I'm playing an elemental/dervish (because I wanted to try those out), but I'm having such a good time nuking everything with Firestorm and Ebon Hawk (it's a real spell skill, honest!) that I'll likely change my secondary profession to something more spell-casting related and just play a dervish for my second character.

Having never played any kind of MMO before, I've discovered I have a lot to learn. MMO-speak is its own language. :D

Negative

The game isn't free-roaming like WoW. You won't encounter players outside the main cities. Every outpost is like a standard MMO. But outside, the game loads the map from your hard disk. Unless you party up with people in the towns, you will be alone.

Not as..."big" as WoW. Every weapon can have 3 upgrades: One comes with the weapon (Plus X% when...Y (condition) ) and 2 material upgrades like a Sword Hilt and Pommel.

You forgot no jumping. Jumping is an integral part of any MMO and this lack of feature cannot be forgiven.

BTW I actually own Guild Wars, I got it in late 2005 IIRC but I could never get in to it. My friends have tried to get me back in to it but (lack of jumping aside) it just couldn't spark my interest.

Heh. I have one more petal to find and then I'm all good. I went and nuked a bunch of Iboga today. After I find the next one, I"ll probably find like 20 of them in 10 minutes. :D

Is it worth it to buy a lockpick, btw? I love opening up those Istani chests. It's kinda like getting a big present on your birthday.

Originally Posted by Rogue Nine

Which heroes do you usually run with?

Usually my 'pimped' Koss (Variation of Quivering Blade build), Vekk (Searing Flames) and one of the Hero Monks :) Which ones do you use?

O yeah, thanks on the armor...no more 'Power Ranger' comments on me :xp:

Originally Posted by jmac7142

As that video stated clearly, jumping is both an integral and Xtreme component of the game.

Allright. Could you explain how those WoW Warrior with their tons of armor could jump? Hell, I'd be amazed if my own character (above) wouldn't die of exhaustion by even trying to jump :xp:

I'd have to disagree with that, Jae. Plate armor is fairly heavy, but it's spread out over the entire body. Sixty pounds isn't so bad when you can use almost every muscle in your body to hold it up. Knights were more than capable of hoisting themselves into the saddle and even being fairly quick and even graceful in combat.

I usually run with Hayda (Song of Restoration build for party support in rough areas/Go For the Eyes with Focused Anger for Crits), Livia (MM as I've found she tends to stay alive a bit better than Olias) and either Gwen (Interrupts), Vekk (Savannah Heat nuke), Jora (Hundred Blades/Quivering Blade damage build) or Ogden (WoH heal) as the situation dictates.

Unless I'm doing Vizunah, in which case I pimp three MMs and hope they don't kill each other with Blood of the Master. xD

I'd have to disagree with that, Jae. Plate armor is fairly heavy, but it's spread out over the entire body. Sixty pounds isn't so bad when you can use almost every muscle in your body to hold it up. Knights were more than capable of hoisting themselves into the saddle and even being fairly quick and even graceful in combat.

Having worn and used full plate armor myself I can tell you that while you can jump (if you are certafiable, as I was) you don't jump too high. (If you try alot you get hurt alot, as I did... medic! :xp: )

Pulling yourself up into a saddle is also a chore (11 1/2 hands is darn high)... as actual full plate was not really meant for horseback, they wore another type of modified plate armor for riding (Not as protective in some of the lower areas covered by the horse and possible barding, about a 5-10 minute suit change/alteration) and another for jousting (Specialty Tourney Armor).

Just a little FYI of where Jae is coming from, @ My 2 credits. ;)

But now when you add 'magic' into the options (Fantasy setting) then you should be able to jump all you want especially in mithril armor.

On-topic: Jumping is only important in a game that needs it, if real-time combat is involved then jumping is a must, turn based combat it isn't neccissary.

I'd have to disagree with that, Jae. Plate armor is fairly heavy, but it's spread out over the entire body. Sixty pounds isn't so bad when you can use almost every muscle in your body to hold it up.

Even if you can jump in full plate I doubt anyone could bunny-hop around in full plate all the time as their primary means of moving around. :)

(But jumping is probably the least unbelievable part in that particular video anyway, since you can hardly cast spells, or throw yourself off a 500 meter high cliff and walk away without a scratch in real life either. :))

@topic: Just got GW:Nightfall today. Haven't had time to install or play it yet, but hopefully I will in the next few days.

Even if you can jump in full plate I doubt anyone could bunny-hop around in full plate all the time as their primary means of moving around. :)

Quoted for absolute truth!

@topic: Just got GW:Nightfall today. Haven't had time to install or play it yet, but hopefully I will in the next few days.

Woo! And when you do, let Jae or Sam or I know what your in-game name is so we can party up and sugar-daddy you. :3

Oh, I didn't say you _can't_ jump, just that people in armor _don't_ jump. Sixty pounds extra on a body weighs you down, and while you can jump, it's wasted effort unless you're doing it for a very specific reason. Not to mention that when you jump. some of the pieces can slip down in spots and pinch skin, and I've treated plenty of 'armor bites'. :)

I have some starter goodies for you, stoffe, when you go online, depending on what class you pick out, and I'll run around with you if you need help on quests. I'm not at level 20 yet (got to 18) but if you need a fire elementalist let me know.

Bob's got the game, now, too. :)

Originally Posted by Rogue Nine

So how are our GW virgins doing? I know Jae still has to cap her first elite skill and stoffe probably has to start doing all her little growing-up quests and whatnot. Let Papa Niner know so he can sugar-daddy you! >:3

Tip 1: Get yourself some nice looking armor, or this 'sugar daddy' will start commenting on it with obscure 90's action series references :xp:

But seriously, maybe it's an idea to create a Lucasforums Guild or something? :)

Dude, c'mon, you were asking for it with that Luxon armor. You looked like something Lord Zedd would've thrown at the Power Rangers (who are hardly obscure, by the way). :xp:

And I would like the idea of a LucasForums guild if I wasn't already in a super-awesome PvE guild. I certainly wouldn't mind helping any forum members out in pretty much any capacity, however. :)

So how are our GW virgins doing? I know Jae still has to cap her first elite skill and stoffe probably has to start doing all her little growing-up quests and whatnot. Let Papa Niner know so he can sugar-daddy you! >:3

I installed the game (Nightfall) and started playing as an Elementalist sorceress yesterday. I got to the first town before I had to stop playing. I managed to clear out the village attacked by pirates (the one you have to catapult down two pirate ships in) without any losses, so either I'm starting to somewhat get the hang of the fighting, or that mission was designed to be insanely easy. Probably the latter, since I still have no idea how to tell your minions what to do. :) I also miss the ability to pause and give orders during combat, but that might be somewhat problematic in a multiplayer game.

In general spells seem to be rather weak forcing you to bombard even lowly pirate grunts with dozens of Flare bolts before they die. Probably just the way this game is though, and I'm too used to the more bang for your buck spells of D&D games. :) Might also have something to do with enemies seemingly regenerating their health nearly as quickly as I'm capable of damaging them. Apparently the whole world in inhabited by Trolls or Wolfweres.

Still a lot to figure out how it works, even though Jae thankfully explained some things I couldn't figure out (how to identify items, what to do with salvage items etc...).

Tip 1: Get yourself some nice looking armor, or this 'sugar daddy' will start commenting on it with obscure 90's action series references :xp:

Seems to be easier said than done. I bought some new robes (if you can call them that, more like a summer evening gown) in the town to get better protection, but then the game changed the color of them from what I set at character creation. What's the point of customizing your character's look if it's going to be force-changed the second you get out of the tutorial anyway? :)

I wanted my white robes dammit, not the dust-gray new ones the merchant gave me. :punch1 You'd think that a tailor would ask what color you want if they're going to custom-make you clothing no one else can use. :) So... either fashion or utility it seems. Choices...

Archived