Home

Guild Wars: Jumping is way overrated

Rogue Nine

Don't worry Jae, I will bring the thunder tonight and we'll rock that mission. ;D

And poor stoffeekins, still annoyed with all the tedious quests and stuff. You should just do what I do and just not do them! :D

Please let me know when you do, I'd like to have that mission fully completed as well, if that is possible. :)

As for the quests, they generally aren't that annoying, and the more questionable ones are more eyebrow raising ("What did they just make you do?") than nerve grating, with a few exceptions.

But I think I'll skip the side quests that require you to have the mesmer hero in your group, since they seem mostly pointless (aside from the rewards you get) unless I tag along with someone else doing them. :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, we wouldn't do it without you. :3 Just gotta make sure that Jae's all done in the Garden of Seborhin before she does it, since it turns into an Escher-esque nightmare when the Grand Court is complete. And I know she's hell bent on her quest for more Trade Contracts. xD

Of course, we wouldn't do it without you. :3 Just gotta make sure that Jae's all done in the Garden of Seborhin before she does it, since it turns into an Escher-esque nightmare when the Grand Court is complete. And I know she's hell bent on her quest for more Trade Contracts. xD

The Garden of Seborhin (AKA The Hall of Giants) should be done unless there are any quests there not listed in the wiki. Jae and I did all the quests there yesterday; the ones offered by Hedge Wizard Mabai and Horticulturist Hinon, as well as the quest received in the mines that require you to go there.

(And if that mission blocks access to the Garden it would be too late anyway since we did that mission yesterday as well, even though it took too long and we didn't get all the altars. :))

It looks like we got them all done yesterday. At least there were two of us picking up leaves and bags so that saved us a little time.

19 contracts down, 72 to go.... :D

I think I can only earn something like 27 contracts max (barring gifts--thanks everyone who's given me one!). I'm a few rubies closer to that Vabbian armor now.

I'll be looking forward to mastering that mission tonight, too. :) We had a little problem last night--the bars apparently are supposed to turn blue when the rifts are secured, and that never happened--so there I was, following Aoife's instructions to the letter to stand on that rift until the bar turned blue, so I think I was less than useless for most of that mission. Now that I know we just have to wait until the update says it's secured, I'll be able to help out better.

Oh, we also learned that getting separated is a great way of getting picked off by those damn Margonites.

19 contracts down, 72 to go.... :D

I think I can only earn something like 27 contracts max (barring gifts--thanks everyone who's given me one!). I'm a few rubies closer to that Vabbian armor now.

You and your expensive armor tastes. xD I still have to get through Dzagonur with my necro, but once she's done with that, she gets a whole slew of quests with trade contracts as rewards, so they're all yours when I gets them.

I'll be looking forward to mastering that mission tonight, too. :) We had a little problem last night--the bars apparently are supposed to turn blue when the rifts are secured, and that never happened--so there I was, following Aoife's instructions to the letter to stand on that rift until the bar turned blue, so I think I was less than useless for most of that mission. Now that I know we just have to wait until the update says it's secured, I'll be able to help out better.

Yeah, the hard part is getting to the point where you can capture the rifts, since those damned Clerics make thing so much more difficult. Everyone needs to bring along Lightbringer's Gaze and nuke the bejeezus out of them. If we can get nearly a full group going, I think we'll be fine. :3

Yeah, the hard part is getting to the point where you can capture the rifts, since those damned Clerics make thing so much more difficult. Everyone needs to bring along Lightbringer's Gaze and nuke the bejeezus out of them. If we can get nearly a full group going, I think we'll be fine. :3

Speaking of which, why does a skill that, according to the description, should do 100 damage that cannot be resisted only do 70-78 damage against Margonites?

With its long recharge time it doesn't seem all that useful at this stage compared to other spells. Seems like it won't trigger Arcane Echo either for some reason. Maybe it'll be more useful with more Lightbringer ranks causing it to hit more enemies at the same time.

If you hit Margonite casters like Clerics and Sorcerers (who tend to bunch up together, thankfully), you will hit for the full 100 points and interruption. Their armor is not as strong as compared to the Reapers (Dervishes) and Executioners (Warriors).

Lightbringer's Gaze is incredibly useful in the later stages of the game where you'll be going up against hordes of Abaddon's minions and will need a good, consistent source of damage. Yes, you can only cast it once every 15 seconds, but every little bit counts and you can rest assured that it will hit the Margonites and others for 70-100 dmg each time you use it. Oh, and it's non Arcane Echo-able, since it's a skill, not a spell.

If you hit Margonite casters like Clerics and Sorcerers (who tend to bunch up together, thankfully), you will hit for the full 100 points and interruption. Their armor is not as strong as compared to the Reapers (Dervishes) and Executioners (Warriors).

I can't remember seeing anyone be hit for the full damage so far. :) Is holy damage blocked by armor? If it is, is there any type of damage that ignores the armor of the target?

Oh, and it's non Arcane Echo-able, since it's a skill, not a spell.

Is there some way to reduce the cooldown time of skills?

I can't remember seeing anyone be hit for the full damage so far. :) Is holy damage blocked by armor? If it is, is there any type of damage that ignores the armor of the target?

I've always been able to hit Margonite casters at 100... O_o. There is armor-ignoring damage, but I can't remember what skill it is at the moment. :S

The only skill I can recall at this moment is the Ranger skill Serpent's Quickness, which reduces cooldown time by 33%. There might be one or two others, but I can't really remember right now since it's Friday and my brain is mush.

Woohoo!! Made it to master's on Dzagonur last night (thanks Niner, stoffe, and Aoife), and stoffe and I got through a master-difficulty quest "Between a rock" before calling it a day (night?).

Too much fun. :D

Oh gawd, what have I done? I've created monsters. MONSTERS, I say. Again, my condolences to Jimbo. xD

The only skill I can recall at this moment is the Ranger skill Serpent's Quickness, which reduces cooldown time by 33%.
I'll have to check that out with my ranger.

Oh gawd, what have I done? I've created monsters. MONSTERS, I say. Again, my condolences to Jimbo. xD

:lol:

Yes, level 20 ele, level 11 or 12 necro, level 8 ranger, I'll restart a dervish at some point, I've picked up Prophecies and Eye of the North (to get the bonus pack), went capping 3 elite skills yesterday to take advantage of the double xp weekend....I'd say you've created a monster. :D

Eye of the North is great fun, though it makes more sense if you've played through the Prophecies campaign from the start. Unfortunately, that's a lot slower going than Nightfall or Factions, as the quests give measly 500 xp rewards and the storyline progresses at a snail's pace. It's something you should probably try anyway, but I don't think I could ever go back again. :S

But you can still come play in Eye of the North with me! :D

Holy damage is affected by armor but it is not physical or elemental, so it ignores some types of armor. A ranger would be hit by holy damage as if their armor was only 70. This same effect happens with chaos and dark damage.

Shadow damage ignores armor completely. Some skills do ignore armor; for example, Power Attack will always do the stated damage + some random physical damage.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Modify_recharge_time_skills_quick_reference

Eye of the North is great fun, though it makes more sense if you've played through the Prophecies campaign from the start. Unfortunately, that's a lot slower going than Nightfall or Factions, as the quests give measly 500 xp rewards and the storyline progresses at a snail's pace. It's something you should probably try anyway, but I don't think I could ever go back again. :S

But you can still come play in Eye of the North with me! :D

Would you have to play through the older campaign to get some of the skills? Seems like many of the good skills belong to other campaigns than Nightfall, looking at the lists in the wiki. :)

I'll probably get Eye of the North once I've finished Nightfall, but I'm not so sure about the older ones yet. They seem fairly different gameplay-wise from what little I've seen and read about them.

Holy damage is affected by armor but it is not physical or elemental, so it ignores some types of armor. A ranger would be hit by holy damage as if their armor was only 70. This same effect happens with chaos and dark damage.

So I guess there is no way for an elementalist to get armor penetration other than specializing in Lightning magic? Some enemies seem to have ridiculous amounts of elemental resistance. Stoneaxe Heket in particular are kind of annoying, hitting them with a spell that should do 120 damage according to the description only does 30, and still they have a huge amount of health.

So I guess there is no way for an elementalist to get armor penetration other than specializing in Lightning magic? Some enemies seem to have ridiculous amounts of elemental resistance. Stoneaxe Heket in particular are kind of annoying, hitting them with a spell that should do 120 damage according to the description only does 30, and still they have a huge amount of health.
Yeah, it's annoying but elementalists kind of get shafted damage-wise later in the game. Your best bet would be AOE spells, and conditions - especially burning. The AOE spells would make your damage output rise, and burning does 14dmg/sec. If you keep someone burning for a few seconds it may well be equivalent to hitting them with an armor-ignoring skill. Some useful skills for this are Rodgort's Invocation, Immolate, Incendiary Bonds, and Mark of Rodgort (you already know of Searing Flames).

Treat me to dinner, of course! :xp:

Gotta get you and stoffeekins through the Ruins of Morah to progress with the storyline though, and that's a bear of a mission. Everytime I've done it, I've had help, so hopefully we can get a bunch of guildies together and lay the smackdown on Varesh.

We're getting a little 'q at Famous Dave's tonight, unless there's somewhere else you'd prefer.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to kicking Varesh's butt all the way back to Abaddon. She deserves it for throwing all those baddies at us all. :D Now if I can figure out how to get the CD drive to open up (the cover is broken on the old lappy), I might be able to start a Prophecies character some time this weekend--I brought the game with me. How crazy is that?

I did do just that, and thank goodness the hotel had wi-fi, because a couple of those lectures on Saturday were incredibly boring (I'd attended a similar lecture in the past, and I didn't need those particular CE hours anyway since they don't count for my license). I happily ran through a couple levels and about 5 or 6 quests in the afternoon waiting for the good lectures to come around. The old laptop doesn't have enough video card memory to play NF, so I ran around pre-searing Ascalon--got to level 6 or so over the weekend.

I just need to find someone to team up with for a brief time to get through the quests that require another team-member. There are a _lot_ of immature kids in this section, for some reason, and I really don't want to team up with sex-crazed 13 year olds. :) Happily, they apparently haven't figured out how to switch districts yet, so if one of the guildies can't go there, I might be able to find someone mature in the other districts.

Oh, Nightfall is installing on the desktop as we speak, so I hope to be able to play some tonight before the travel-fatigue catches up with me. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived