Home

Guild Wars: Jumping is way overrated

Rogue Nine

I played this game when it first came out (Prophecies), but when I finished the main quest, I stopped and never returned to it... until now! I won the game (Prophecies again!) together with Eye of the North. So I'm busy with my first character again, because I made a new account for the new Prophecies. I must say, I've missed a lot, and there's much that I need to catch up with. I fear I'll never get to that point, though. I'd like to try out Factions and Nightfall, but first I want to finish Prophecies, do Sorrow's Furnace and the whole Eye of the North campaign before I go there. And that'll take some time (Prophecies has the longest - and maybe a too long - story).

I play Elementalist/Monk at the moment. I find it to be a great combination. I've played Warrior/Monk and Ranger/Necromancer with my other account.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm playing an ele/monk in Nightfall but mostly for the fire spells. She's Alina Stormseeker. I have a ranger going through the Prophecies campaign, and an assassin in Factions. I also have another NF ranger and necromancer, both of whom have done some EotN things since they had the special a couple weeks ago that allowed characters below level 20 to access EotN.

I got EotN for Christmas but I haven't started on it yet. Before the Christmas extravaganza started I was working on finishing the skill hunter title, which I'm going to do before I get all wrapped up in EotN. Also, decided I want another 15k set for my warrior so I'm working on that. I used to W/Rt farm a lot, but ever since Zaishen Keys I just play a ton of pvp and sell those for 3-4k. Works out alright I guess. Sounds like most of you are into PvE but if you ever want to PvP with me sometime that's where I'm at 70% of the time nowadays :o

I just missed the special, I guess. I've only been playing for a week and a half again. Is EotN good? And does it take a lot of time playing through it? Or am I missing the whole concept of EotN? (It's hard being a noob again :)).

Apparently you can try it out still for 5 hours total (in up to 14 days)--see this page on the Guild Wars site. You don't have to be level 20 for this--the game temporarily boosts you to 20 while you're there or until you reach level

If you decide to play that area, find me online (main charry Alina Stormseeker), and I'll come play. :)

I own EotN, so no trial needed. :) I just recently arrived at Lion's Arch, that's why I couldn't reach EofN. I've done that very first mission, and tried reaching EotN itself, but was stupid to only bring the two first heroes with me. I got hit pretty hard. :p Looks interesting, though, but I think I might first want to continue playing the original campaign, so I can get all the good spells I want.

Say, anyone noticed since you get a title for completing every mission with bonus, everyone wants to do the bonus? Back in 2005, no one wanted to do the bonus.

Well, most people didn't want the bonus. I wanted it for the XP - 1k extra XP was fairly significant in Prophecies :D

Later missions I don't care about as much... most of the bonuses I've done after reaching level 20 have been because of other people wanting to get the bonus. It's not hard so I don't care much.

Yeah, well, even if you don't do the bonuses, you eventually reach Lvl. 20, although it takes a little more time. It does make the missions longer, and later in the game, mission can take some time. Anyway, I think it's cool to have everything completed, not necessarily for the title, but it does give an extra motivation.

If you do the bonus for all missions in one campaign, you can get the title "protector of tyria/cantha/elona. Once you get protector for all 3 campaigns in hardmode and normalmode, you will get the legendary protector title.

Other than having the title though, there is no real use for it.

getting close to my third protector title=)

Hardmode is a pretty poor implementation of increased difficulty. Basically they just upped monster health, attack speeds, armor and damage dealt, as well as giving the enemies elite skills if they didn't have them.

TBH, I had wanted hardmode to have the monsters health etc like normal, but give them 1) balanced groups (frontline, backline, support characters), 2) set them up with decent individual skill bars that are also coordinated with the rest of the group, and 3) have all the characters multiclass into beneficial combinations, similar to EOTN's enemies but more effectively.

Sadly that's not the case, so HM is not really hard it's just learning how to deal with massive damage... something much easier than the above would be. Of course, having the enemies like I had wanted them would probably make it quite near impossible for players who don't have a good grasp of the game mechanics and the ability to make effective group builds. Regardless, it is somewhat disappointing.

Of course, having the enemies like I had wanted them would probably make it quite near impossible for players who don't have a good grasp of the game mechanics and the ability to make effective group builds. Regardless, it is somewhat disappointing.

Indeed. The current hard mode is too hard already, in my opinion. I've tried it a few times but didn't get very far before getting brutally killed. Normal Mode is challenging enough.

(But then again, this is coming from someone who plays most games on the Easy difficulty setting and still find them challenging. :))

Do you find the elite areas of the game (Domain of Anguish, Fissure of Woe etc) to be too easy as well?

Wow! Congrats on that!

@stoffe: Same here. Mostly play games on Easy difficulty, and I think Normal Mode is challenging enough (near the end). It's strange, though, that I'm finding it easier doing the mission (in some ways much easier) than before my hiatus. Of course, that could be because a Fire Elementalist/Monk is very well suited for PvE (as I have read on couple of locations), but still.

I tried that mission in EotN where you have to fight a Norn solo, though, and got killed fairly easy. :p

Did any of you try out all the proffesions yet. I just started a character of each proffesion and brought them to lvl20 (which doesn't really take too long, i know). I ended up liking the ritualist the most, then mesmer. I'm not really big on any of the melee proffesions.

How about yall?

Did any of you try out all the proffesions yet. I just started a character of each proffesion and brought them to lvl20 (which doesn't really take too long, i know). I ended up liking the ritualist the most, then mesmer. I'm not really big on any of the melee proffesions.

How about yall?

Opposite for me, I don't really like playing casters...paragon and warrior are my favorites although I almost exclusively pvp as a monk and sometimes an assassin. Maaaaybe a mesmer if I feel like it.

I like playing casters, though I played with Warriors most in the past. But I like all those colorful skills you get. :p

I haven't tried out all profession (hard if you don't have all the campaigns, of course :)), but I want to try out a Mesmer when I have the time. Must be a great feeling to interrupt spells from people. :)

Do you find the elite areas of the game (Domain of Anguish, Fissure of Woe etc) to be too easy as well?
In the sense that I have to be more careful than on normal mode, then no I don't find it easy. However, most of the problems of hard mode can be fixed by loading up on protection skills and having a few good direct damage people in the party, not by using terribly advanced tactical skill. Pile prots on - send in the tank - cast Aegis - nuke until dead - repeat for next mob...

I usually play casters. My warrior gets next to no love, especially since I made an assassin... There really isn't any benefit to playing a warrior in PVE anymore - they don't do enough damage and the extra base armor is virtually irrelevant given the PVE skills that are available. I enjoy paragons but they are mostly useful for team builds and I rarely have to make a build incorporating paras. Never had much fun with Dervishes and the best use of them I've seen in PVE is for mystic terratanks in elite areas. I occasionally use my ranger in places that they're useful, but the only physical I play with regularity is my assassin.

My favorite casters are Monk, Necro, Rit, Ele and Mesmer, in that order. Mesmers are fairly useless in PVE unfortunately, but they're more fun to play in PVP. Monk is great anywhere, everyone loves a monk. :D

Pile prots on - send in the tank - cast Aegis - nuke until dead - repeat for next mob...

I'd guess you need multiple people capable of casting those in a group then? Most of the protection monk spells seem to have a very short duration, shorter than the recharge time of the skill.

My favorite casters are Monk, Necro, Rit, Ele and Mesmer, in that order. Mesmers are fairly useless in PVE unfortunately, but they're more fun to play in PVP. Monk is great anywhere, everyone loves a monk. :D

I've only tried Elementalist, Necromancer and Monk so far. My latest, Canthan-born character is a monk (dedicated to Protection prayers), and it takes some getting used to. Quite different to play compared to the others, where you have to keep more an eye on how your party is doing than what the enemy is doing. :) At least it's satisfying when you manage to keep someone alive. And those "Protect idiot NPC X" quests are more manageable when you can actively keep them from dying. :)

I've looked a little at Ritualist skills since I got Factions, but I still can't quite figure the profession out. Seems to be some odd mix between protection/healing, summoning and lightning elementalist.

Mesmers are annoying when you encounter them as enemies, but they don't seem to do that much difference when on your side. Heroes and NPCs are probably better at interrupting than a player mesmer since they don't have to contend with lag and have very quick reactions. :)

Mesmers are annoying when you encounter them as enemies, but they don't seem to do that much difference when on your side. Heroes and NPCs are probably better at interrupting than a player mesmer since they don't have to contend with lag and have very quick reactions. :)

I take Gwen with me a lot, and she interrupts spells pretty much. Can be live-saving with spells that deal a lot of damage and/or knock you down (like Giant Stomp for example). And it's fun to see them cursing (even the animals :)).

• 5 weeks later...

Because they like to nerf truly useful things? :xp:

Well, I suppose you can now use a different skill in place of holy haste, or use holy haste for other things.

Man, am I liking Barrage with a vampiric or poisonous bow, too. stoffe and I took out a bunch of Charr for the "Then and now, here and there" quest with her necro, a healer monk, Gwen (required for the quest and set up as domination/inspiration), and my barrage/pet ranger, and we did some serious damage. When I get to the point where I can change professions and pick up ritualist, I'll pick up splinter weapon, which will be quite useful.

Archived