Home

Day of the tentacle saving

Scottymac

i recently installed day of the tentacle(cd rom) on my windows xp computer and it works fine but i get this message "ems detects less than two megabytes" or something to that effect before the lucas arts logo comes up and also i ant save the game saying disk is full. im told ems is expanded memory which i dont have 2 megabytes of how can i get more without installing the scumm programme because i dont have the internet which i want to play DOTT on. please help you wonderful people

I'm stumped - I'm afraid the only advice I can give is to get Scumm VM over to your non Internet computer somehow (put it on a CD, USB pen, iPod, etc.) Sorry that's not so very helpful to your actual question, but it sounds like your problem is to do with compatibility rather than anything really to do with memory.

In short: Microsoft hates old things. Every time they release a new Windows it tries the best it can to screw up as many old games as it can. I'll be getting Vista next week and I'm terrified what it's going to do to my games collection.

The reason ScummVM exists is because LucasArts adventures older than Full Throttle really struggle with the new platform. ScummVM is an absolutely superb program that's easy to use and setup and ALL your woes will vanish.

If you can't get it to your computer via the Internet (it's a really small download, you could probably use WinZip and put it on two or three floppy disks if necessary!), then it is usually available on magazine coverdiscs.

The latest issue of PCZone has it on their DVD under 'Essential Software', and I bet PCGamer probably does too. Trust us, it will solve all your problems.

• 2 months later...

About the errors themselves:

The EMS error you get has to do with the fact that XP doesn't have an expanded memory manager. Expanded memory was a way for DOS programs to address the memory and it's not available in Windows newer than Windows 98 SE.

Getting the error "disk full" when you try to save has most likely to do with the fact that HDs are much larger now and when the game tries to compute how much free space is available, it can't and gives that error.

There's no other easy way around this than to run the game with ScummVM as suggested by Gabez and The Tingler.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey-

I just got got a new laptop with Vista, and am wondering if anyone knew what I could do to get the game installed. I have an old cd that a friend gave to me that I used till my old pc broke. But since its mainly DOS, I'm not sure what to do.

Help? Please?

Archived