Home

Dumblydore lieks teh mens! ;o

Rogue Nine

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered why Dumbledore took to Grindelwald so fast and why he did not go after him sooner. I wish Rowling had left that part of Dumbledore life up to the reader. I don’t see how her explanation of Dumbledore sexual preference adds to the story and if it was such an important part of the “great tragedy”, she should have included in the books.

Warner Brothers has to love this news, just adds fuel to the detractors.

Meh. Kind of an unnecessary addition if you ask me. Luckily that has no impact on the plot in the books.

The article makes it sound like she just dragged him out of the closet out of the blue. Which (as Corinthian says) she didn't:

BBC News

She took audience questions and was asked if Dumbledore found "true love".

"Dumbledore is gay," she said, adding he was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, who he beat in a battle between good and bad wizards long ago.

The audience gasped, then applauded. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy," she said.

Seeing as how the books are one long slog against oppression and inequality, it's strangely right to represent different sexualities - especially with a character in such a prominent position. I suppose it's sort of like Uhura in Star Trek.

To be honest with you, though, the announcement doesn't add any other dimension to his character because the books are done and dusted. This tragedy she mentions seems tacked on and not at all important. Like the two hundred pages of living in a tent, Rowling missed out on another opportunity for some fantastic character development... but it *is* a children's book.

I can't help but feel that Harry Potter would have gone from simply fun to literature if she'd put the creative talents into writing an adult book.

Hmm...

I wonder what ol' Richard Harris would have said about this.

Well.....he might have been a little disappointed, given what a womanizer he was in real life. Frankly, though, I doubt he'dve cared much either way. As the series is basically a children's one, I don't think that the sexuality of the charachters is particularly germaine to the story. Besides, it was saddled with a lot of negative publicity initially for the whole witchcraft angle, forget about adding a controversial sexuality slant.

Well.....he might have been a little disappointed, given what a womanizer he was in real life.

My point exactly.;)

Frankly, though, I doubt he'dve cared much either way.
On second thought, you're probably right.

Doesn't really add to or change the story at all in my opinion; I mean she explained in the books that they were friends, so how much different is it (at least for the plot of the 7th book) if Dumbledore is gay? If a kid read the books but didn't know about this interview, I don't think it'd turn that kid gay. In my opinion, this isn't really part of the Harry Potter canon. But that's just me.

I'm not sure what all the excitement over this is about. He's an imaginary character who hasn't even managed to have imaginary sex, so the best he could be is imaginary straight/gay/whatever anyways. Unless he's humping male arch-villains to try to kill them, I'm not sure what difference it makes to the story.

I'm not sure what all the excitement over this is about. He's an imaginary character who hasn't even managed to have imaginary sex, so the best he could be is imaginary straight/gay/whatever anyways. Unless he's humping male arch-villains to try to kill them, I'm not sure what difference it makes to the story.

It's controversy, Jae. What do get when you cross a highly-successful franchise like Harry Potter with a highly-controversial topic like Homosexuality? You get loads of attention and people in the media make lots of money and people like us can laugh at the disgusted Harry Potter fans and anti-Harry Potter Christian authorities.

Archived