Home

Favorite: Sith Empire or Galactic Republic (KOTOR)

Lord Revan63

Favorite KOTOR Faction!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite KOTOR Faction!

I'm curious to see how many people like the Sith Empire or the Galactic Republic, I for one like the Sith Empire because they have alot of freedom in thier empire.But i kinda like the Galactic Republic, thier capital fleets, fighter planes, and thier armor is just cool but i still like the Sith more!!!

P.S. This is for KOTOR 1 Factions!

I have to go with the Galactic Republic. I too, am a lightsider, and I think that the Galactic Republic is doing it's best to aid the galaxy. They generally make do with what they got, and by that I mean, that they do their best with the small numbers (compared to the Sith fleet) and with their equipment (also compared to the Sith fleet). I don't think that the Sith would have done too well in that war without the Star Forge. :)

Neither.

Even as the Republic had it's belief, it was, since that time, corrupt, even among it's top echelons. And the Sith of that era? Heh, they didn't even hidden behind a lie veil, they showed their ruthlessness.

But, if we extend our view to some less important, but cooler stuff, then sure the Sith uniforms are neat...

Neither, the galactic empire curbstomps both

Back on topic, i dont like either because of the way they handle things, For the sith empire, there arent any good military tacticians save for revan, malaks strategies are as goto claimed "painfully obvious" and malaks actions hinted to me that he is stupid and lazy seeing that rather than use resources to capture balista, he goes ape s__t and bombards an entire planet and in the end fail.

As for the republic, i have nothing to say

Galactic Republic. They are awesome because they tolerate corrupt Senators, tolerate evil spies willing to protect their own agents on Mannan, tolerate slavery on Kassykk, tolerate discrimination in Taris, tolerate the Jedi Order (even though they hate the Jedi Order with a vengenance), and tolerate their defeat at the hands of a DS Revan with the greatest 'death' quotes that make Malak's defeat pales.

I admire them for not suffering a nervous breakdown.

Galactic Republic for me. Which is better, a totalitarian government run by evil Sith Lords, and currupt, self absorbed officials or a constitutional democracy, which seems to at least have some semblance of admirable morals. As for the slavery on Kashyyyk, I don't think Kashyyk was on most maps at that point, and even if it was, it was probably overlooked dispite its neighbor Trandosha. Corruption was actually not such a huge problem in those days as it was near the Republic's colapse. If you were to do a good bit of reseach on this era, particularily things related to Tales of the Jedi, then you would see a much smaller, slightly less ordered and mapped out government. Another thing to take note of is the fact that the Republic is grasping at straws against Malak's starforge-enhanced forces since, Revan, Malak, and Sual were kind enough to steal half their fleet and army.

-Bearer of the Krijinia.

• 5 months later...

When I play I always choose light side, but I'm definitely more intrigued by the Sith Empire than I am the Galactic Republic. The Sith history is more interesting to me than the Jedi, for whatever reason. Perhaps that's revealing of some inner tendencies I subconsciously suppress.

So the old question, which would you rather have represent you: a well meaning buffoon, or a highly competent meglomaniac who actively desires your death? I'm going to go with neither on this. The old Republic is better than the sith, and better than galaxywide genocidal war, but it's not really a good thing in and of itself.

Neither. The Republic's been stagnant and somewhat inefficient for years, and the Sith are controlling tyrants who kill anyone who stand in their way, so your leader is either a clumsy, foolish ditz with no governing skill whatsoever, or a strict, iron-fisted zealot who constantly hungers for power and supremacy. Or you're leaderless and chaotic.

Though I like the planets of the Republic, the Republic as a ruling faction is inefficient. As is stated many times during the games, "the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing". They try to tread the line between "doing the right thing" and "doing things right" and fail miserably.

If you look at Manaan, Roland Wann thinks that since you're a Jedi you have to do the Republic's bidding, seeming to forget that though they're allies you're not really indebted to them to the point of doing grunt work for them. Then after you "do the right thing" and save the fish on the ocean floor, all he cares about is the money lost when you destroyed the harvester (Which doesn't make sense considering that saving the fish saved the Kolto).

But that's not to say the Sith are any better, Malak's Sith had no clue of what to do with the galaxy other than "crush puny worlds and hope everything works out". <G0-T0>Malak's Sith Empire would probably have collapsed from a lack of infrastructure at the same rate as the Republic, probably quicker due to pockets of uprising disrupting the distribution of resouces.</G0-T0>

Archived