Home

Fairly New to Expanded Universe: Where to Start?

Serpentine Cougar

I'm not very familiar with any of the EU, though I've read the Jedi Apprentice book series and Star Wars Republic: Emissaries to Malastare (my library had it so I checked it out on a whim). I'm [fairly] sure there must be some better EU books/comics/etc. out there, with stories and characters as good as the movies, but what are they? What do you guys suggest?

Oh and before you suggest it, I'm currently playing KotoR.

well my friend where do I start,

Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, comic line 1994-98 ish...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_of_the_jedi

pretty much all of the Republic comic line which includes Emissaries to malastsre..

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_%28comics%29.

That should keep you occupied for a bit, I'll try and find links to some of the other stuff I've read :)

The Thrawn trilogy, if you don't mind that it's a little older. The X-wing series (at least the books by Aaron Allstad (sp?)), is good, although no Jedi. The New Jedi Order is pretty good if you can get over the Vong. At least, almost everything from Star by Star until the end is very good. The Legacy of the Force series is pretty good, although it references so many other works that you may become confused. I don't think I've left out too much... if you just want to catch up, read the wookieepedia pages for Luke Skywalker and the Solos.

Holiday Special... j/k

The Star Wars Republic series also have some nice parts in it. The whole Vos-Aalya thing is good read.

Well, to be fair here is what I think of as a nice start:

Thrawn trilogy-must Read, a bit of read up on that Mara Jade short series is advised before it though.

Knights of the Old Republic - The old comic book series.

Dark Empire - If you can swallow the whole "Emperor respawns" yadas.

Shadows of the Empire (not the game) have some interesting things in it, but also some werid out parts. I guess its ok if you have time.

Adventures of jolee bindo.

I personally think some stuff from the "Tales of Bounty Hunters" book is great, but that is non canon stuff now.

As for games, the whole DarkForces-jediKnights series is quite fun, as do KotOR.

Crimson Empire I & II are good comics. And I've taken to the new Kotor and Legacy comics as well.

If you're just starting out, I'd say you should read everything in order, but you'd be busy for months reading everything...

I'd look up books in chronological order on wookieepedia or something, and see if a book summary interests you, then read it.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I looked up that page on wookiepedia - it's really helpful. I didn't know Kotor's script writer has written EU books - I'll have to check out the Darth Bane books! I'm also thinking of checking out the Thrawn trilogy (because I've heard a lot abot it) and the Tales of the Jedi comics (because I love the Old Republic era). Legacy looks interesting as well, though.

Ah, too many to pick from!

• 9 months later...

The Republic Commando book series is good aswell as The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy dealing with Fett after RotJ. If you get into the Jedi Knight series of games the Dark Forces book trilogy is quite good aswell giving more background to the games. But like others have said the Legacy of the Force series is good same with Knights of the Old Republic. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

The two Han-solo trilogies are worth reading.

But the top of the list would be anything by Tim Zahn. tho before you read the Heir to the Empire stuff I suggest reading the Dark Empire series .. otherwise it is a bit confusing when Luke talks about going to the dark side previously

Archived