Home

Could fan fiction ever become canon? (If popular enough?)

BigMike322

Not bloody likely. Particularly as it's a computer game and the mod isn't approved by Lucasfilm (I assume), it will never be canon, unless things change. Particularly since KOTOR is getting pretty old and a relatively small number of Star Wars fans have actually played the mod, I wouldn't bet on it happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, Lucas Arts did host "backstory" contest from time to time on those guys lurking in background, and winners sometimes get their story listed as canon.

But yeah, generally Fanon to Canon is a rare thing indeed. Though yeah it is nice for the little things to be affected by fandom interatcion. But yeah, things like that should be kept in check nicely, as it would be worse than Trek if scumbags like SS are allowed to run amok... Eith that, or fangirls writing side stories of love affair between Han x Chewie x Fett (don't ask me how, as I truly don't want to know, given that Fangirls can create terrors like Optimus Prime x Starscream).

MotS is canon at the basics, on the LS way. As with most game based canon the details are not important. I mean, its not like we need to count how many stormies and reborn Katarn killed and how many ammo clips he picked up...though details of Katarn and Jan Ors with some loading ramp action would be most interesting.

Oh, as we know that There is also that possably uncanon thing about Katarn using a force power called "spear of the midnight pink" or something in one of the novelization of his jedi journey though...

That bad huh? So how did, say, Timothy Zahn get the gig?

Writing for SW is a lot like becoming a mod. You don't ask for the job. You are chosen. Zahn, Stackpole, Perry, and all the others were approached by (bantam at the time, Lucasbooks later) and contracted to write in the universe based on their credibility writing original works in other universes or their own. For instance, Stackpole was writing battletech before star wars, along with a few original novels, and Bantam tapped him to write the X-wing books.

So, the best way to write star wars is to write original Fantasy (surprisingly not sci-fi so much) and once you get a few published, you are at least one step closer to being eligible. Then it's just a matter of having the right agent to further your ambitions to SW.

If you can't tell, I've looked into this extensively. I started writing a SW book when I was like 14, scrapped it and started an original Fantasy of my own. I finished that when I was 20 and have been working to get it published since then. Tough business for sure. And while writing SW isn't one of my major ambitions anymore, if I'm being totally honest with myself, I would not say no to an offer to write in the universe. Even still have a plot knocking around in my skull for just such an occasion.

Sorry for the personal side story, but I hope I answered your question.

Trekkies are a different species dear.

They are a star wars fan's worst enemy and there is absoultely nothing a hardcore star wars fan hates most then a Trekky. Its vice versa with trekkies.

Anyway I think that Cannon could be cannon. Maybe it could be bought out and referenced in the credits.

Archived