Home

Best of Firefox!

tk102

Dear Firefox user,

Are you using any plugins or themes that are worth sharing with others? If so, could you please mention them here?

~~ tk102

I have a couple that I find very useful.

GSpace -- Turns Firefox into a file browser where you can upload and download files to Gmail-powered network drive. This plugin has seriously reduced my dependence on thumb drives for transferring files to/from work.

Firebug -- An essential plugin for debugging web pages.

Web Developer -- Another handy plugin that pairs well with Firebug but has plenty of other features that make it useful for the non-developer. The toolbar provides quick access to your cookies, clearing your cache, image blocking.

Live Headers -- Allows you to log and view all http header information as the requests/responses occur

IE Tab -- view a page in IE from within Firefox

Download Them All -- A nice download accelerator

Fasterfox -- I hesitate to recommend this one since it can be used to increase loads on webservers and thus slows everyone else down. Please use "courteous" or "optimized" mode and turn off web pre-fetching. :p

Firefox Showcase -- lets you see all your tabs as thumbnails by clicking F12

ForecastFox -- Very handy weather monitor thing, it's quite accurate though I'd like to know the real (as in: how it feels like) temperature sometimes...(Scotland = way colder than it looks like lolz)

Video DownloadHelper -- Essential tool to grab some videos from YouTube and such, in fact it's worked on every site I tried it on AFAIK...You might want to look into a program like SUPER if you intend to work with them or view them in Media Player as the format it comes in is a strange one (.flv or something), you can download a program for that format, but I find it easier to convert it to my favorite format using SUPER.

I've been using both for more than a year now, and they both come highly recommended by me :)

@Negsun - with an flv directshow filter(from the ffdshow set) and a simple regtweak, you can view flvs natively in WMP. Let me know if you need further instructions !! Resizing works great too.

I cant be bothered with the linkies atm, sorry :(

Adblock Plus + Filterset G - super duper popup and ad blocking combo. Leaves Norton etc for dead. The blocking filters can be added to manually and are also auto- updated according to what filter list you select(usually dependant on what language you work in)

Unplug - what I use for downloading youtube etc vids. 2 clicks !

flashgot - works with third party download managers to give you a comprehensive set of download managemnt options. I use mine with getright.

WMP pluginp - developed by FF fans but now officially linkied to by MS, believe it or not ;) New version comes with neat installer package

Mycroft Search engine add ons I use the search engine box alot and like to be able to customise the available search areas to very specific sites.

mtfbwya

FireFTP -- FireFTP is a free, secure, cross-platform FTP client for Mozilla Firefox which provides easy and intuitive access to FTP servers.

BBcodeXtra -- BBCodeXtra is an extension, compatible with Mozilla FireFox and Mozilla Suite, which adds to the context menu new commands to insert BBCode/Html/XHtml codes in an easy and fast way...

JSView -- Allows you to "view source" on external and embedded JS and CSS docs/pages.

View Source Chart -- Draws A Color-Coded Chart of a Web Page's Source Code

just a few of the MANY I use.. hehe

@Negsun - with an flv directshow filter(from the ffdshow set) and a simple regtweak, you can view flvs natively in WMP. Let me know if you need further instructions !! Resizing works great too.

I cant be bothered with the linkies atm, sorry :(

Adblock Plus + Filterset G - super duper popup and ad blocking combo. Leaves Norton etc for dead. The blocking filters can be added to manually and are also auto- updated according to what filter list you select(usually dependant on what language you work in)

Nah I'm good I don't download .flv files that often and if I do it's to mess about with them anyways so it's better to have them in .avi or .wmv or something anyways...

How could I forget Adblock, amazing program to get rid of all those ugly ads on sites n stuff!

Flashblock. I hate ads that flash obnoxiously at me, and this gets rid of them.

Foxytunes--just for fun with music.

Since I got bit with the blogging bug I picked up ScribeFire which is a blog editor.

Smart Bookmarks Bar, which cuts the text on your favorites on the bookmark bar so you can fit more of them on. The name of the bookmark will show up if you mouse over the icon, but with my favorites I don't worry about it. :)

StartAid Online bookmark manager. Since I lost all my bookmarks in the Great Crash, I checked on different ways to back them up. Since this lets me also sync my bookmarks with all the computers we use at home, I decided to go this route.

Unusual that so many of my favourites have already been mentioned...

Image Zoom - Easy mouse-based image resizing tool - you have no idea how handy it ends up being.

Smart Middle Click - Allows middle-click (to open new tab) with javascript - awesome.

Greasemonkey - The premier tool to h4xx0r the web to your ends. Install scripts on the extension to customize how websites look and feel to you.

FEBE - Quickly backs up Firefox data such as extensions, bookmarks and such. Again, insanely handy if you're using more than one Firefox, for some reason.

Add to Search Bar - Add any search field into your search box - how cool is that?

Second Search - Asks you which search engine to use when you type something in the search box. Works very well in conjunction with the above extension.

Dictionary Tooltip - Opens a tooltip with the dictionary meaning/translation of any word you double-click. Very useful!

Nah I'm good I don't download .flv files that often and if I do it's to mess about with them anyways so it's better to have them in .avi or .wmv or something anyways...

lolz...apart from loop, cut, and paste, theres not much messing around you can do... by the time source footage becomes an flv there arent any picture elements/layers to speak of, just an hyper-abbreviated sequence of stills and progressions. Its the reason why a 3min flv file is about 10mb and a 3 min HD mpeg2 about 30 times that :p

thus ends todays "know your file formats" lesson :D

OT:

Themes - I have only used azerty, back when I was vigilant enough to care about such things. I just stick to the default nowdays. As my pc is sometimes used by my partner, I dont want to confuse her anymore than is necessary ;) lolz

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...

Screengrab! - Saves the entire page as an image file.

Alexa Sparky - I encourage everyone to use this as it helps the Alexa ranking of websites you visit. It displays the alexa ranking and 3 month growth trend in the status bar.

4chan Firefox Extension - Adds a number of useful features for all /b/tards including inline image expansion, thread watcher, view all posts, quick reply, and a firefox menu with all the boards.

Customize Google - enhances Google searches by giving you keyword suggestions, adding extra info and removing unwanted info.

Stumbleupon - lets you give sites a thumbs up so they will appear in stumbleupon.

Live Pagerank - displays pagerank of the current tab

I also use Fasterfox, Firebug and IE tab.

Well, going through various extensions to re-load on my FF since I got the lappy back from HP (they wiped the hard drive while repairing it--not unexpected since I told them I had 2 viruses quarantined, but just meant I have to redo some stuff, and I'm happy to report my external HD did work for storing info....).

Here's a couple I found:

To surf anonymously (theoretically): Anonymization toolbar

For the geek in all of us: Leet key. Convert your text to Morse code, binary, hexadecimal, reverse, among other things besides 1337. My favorite is the text transformers '1337 to Latin' and 'Latin to 1337', because, as we all know, leet obfuscation is even better when translated in a dead language.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Tab Mix Plus, a useful FF2 add-on and one that I've sorely missed for FF3 is available as a dev build here. Ahh, now I can duplicate tabs once again. Also for those that use Firebug, v1.2b4 is available here. I mention this one because v1.1 was quite erratic when it came to inspecting elements.

Moral of the story is if you really miss a certain add-on or just find your current version is buggy, be sure to visit the developers' sites rather than waiting around for FF to tell you there are updates available. :)

Here's two that have become very useful for meself:

Fast-dial

Like Opera's speed dial. If youre like me and need to do the rounds on certain sites every day, and don't want extra tab clutter etc floating about...you might like this... Also useful for people with small notebooks, tablet pcs or ultramobile pcs... You can refresh thumbnails of the actual site or just link placeholder pics like I have(quicker). All it needs to be perfect is to be able to launch run search engines from within a 'dial' window.

fastdial.jpg

Also, for more space saving, you might want to check out TinyMenu >> it reduces the File....etc menu to simply 'menu' see pic above :D

mtfbwya

My Personal fav's are:

Aero Silver Fox - A nice theme that I really love

Download Status Bar - Stops that annoying new window that comes up every time you download something and puts a neat little bar at the bottom.

Download Helper - I love this thin, my personal fav, allows you to download videos and save them as .flv's from hundreds of sites like YouTube, and then you can watch the with an .flv player or convert them to .wmv or something to watch in Windows Media Player

AdBlock Plus - Blocks all those pesky ads that show up on sites, very conveniant

Archived